Zach Britton = Mariano Rivera?

Aristotelian

So you think part of the criteria for being an all star for a particular season is being excellent in prior seasons.

Interesting.

I think it is about rewarding the current season. So we disagree on this point.

Happens sometimes.

They talk about Jeter deserves to be in the AllStar game.this year even if his numbers don't equate to having that honor. Ask just because he's retiring.

I wonder if there were 20 Future HOFers who announced retirement at the beginning of a season. Do all get an automatic bid just because it's their last year?

What happens if Jeter does get the nod this year and someone who had a better first half season gets the shaft, then Jeter decides to return next year?

Now I doubt Jeter does return because he barely looks like he can play now.

But one'of these days there will be aBrett Favre of baseball that gets a AllSatr appearance just because he's retiring and then comes back for.another year or two.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That isn't accurate at all. Not only is there a mandatory representative from each team the fan's voice is only heard in the starters and the last member of each squad. Players and the team's manager also have a voice and I doubt the players, for instance, are worried about whom the fans want to see.

I think the lack of seriousness that everyone applies to the game points toward the main purpose being a fun thing for the fans. The manager's main objective often seems to be pleasing his own fans by selecting and playing his players to as large a degree as is allowed.

Happens sometimes.

They talk about Jeter deserves to be in the AllStar game.this year even if his numbers don't equate to having that honor. Ask just because he's retiring.

I wonder if there were 20 Future HOFers who announced retirement at the beginning of a season. Do all get an automatic bid just because it's their last year?

What happens if Jeter does get the nod this year and someone who had a better first half season gets the shaft, then Jeter decides to return next year?

Now I doubt Jeter does return because he barely looks like he can play now.

But one'of these days there will be aBrett Favre of baseball that gets a AllSatr appearance just because he's retiring and then comes back for.another year or two.

Like a lot of things in baseball there aren't any hard-and-fast standards so you're free to make up whatever interpretation you think is right. The All Star game sometimes rewards Ken Harvey for hitting .400 for 30 days, and the All Star game almost always rewards broken down old HOFers for still being good guys. Often at the expense of somebody else who has been really good for the last three years.

Just for arguments sake.....you don't see very many braves fans arguing that they should convert kimbrel to a starter.

Not really a good comparison. Britton has been a SP his entire life up until this year, whereas Kimbrel has never started a game in his professional career, minors or majors.

Not really a good comparison. Britton has been a SP his entire life up until this year, whereas Kimbrel has never started a game in his professional career, minors or majors.

True but once you find a role that a player doesn't just thrive in, but actually excels at, it's a pretty big risk to change that role in the hopes that he can succeed in a different role.

Maybe something to look at next offseason but with bundy and Gausman on the way up to stay, do we need another starter more than we need a completely lock down closer?

True but once you find a role that a player doesn't just thrive in, but actually excels at, it's a pretty big risk to change that role in the hopes that he can succeed in a different role.

Maybe something to look at next offseason but with bundy and Gausman on the way up to stay, do we need another starter more than we need a completely lock down closer?

If Britton could sustain this kind of velocity and sink on his fastball as a SP, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot at converting him back to starting. If it doesn't work, you just shift him back to the bullpen.

I don't think the O's are going to move him out of relief this year, which is understandable, but it'll be interesting to see if they try him out as a starting pitcher next spring.

If Britton could sustain this kind of velocity and sink on his fastball as a SP, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot at converting him back to starting. If it doesn't work, you just shift him back to the bullpen.

I don't think the O's are going to move him out of relief this year, which is understandable, but it'll be interesting to see if they try him out as a starting pitcher next spring.

If he can keep throwing 95-96 with the kind of movement he has now, and can improve his secondaries even just a little, I would absolutely love to see him get a chance to start as well......

NEXT year.

Well yes, Zach Britton = Mariano Rivera, in the sense that they both cause us to lose games to the Yankees in the 9th inning.

I love this post. It's brilliant and it makes me feel better after that fiasco. I'm over it now, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Archived