And that's why Joseph catches most games

Tony-OH

The next person that complains about Joseph catching because he's hitting .141, I give you the exact reason why he's the everyday catcher. With his closer overthrowing and struggling to command his sinker, he calls 26 straight sinkers until Beltran deposits one over the fence. That was Wieter-esque game calling with no feel for the game or the pitcher by Hundley.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The next person that complains about Joseph catching because he's hitting .141, I give you the exact reason why he's the everyday catcher. With his closer overthrowing and struggling to command his sinker, he calls 26 straight sinkers until Beltran deposits one over the fence. That was Wieter-esque game calling with no feel for the game or the pitcher by Hundley.

Well said.

He has been throwing his sinker every time with Joseph in there as well. He only those the other pitch once or twice an apearence and mostly when he is not in a tough spot. As soon as the 2-1 pitch was a ball it was gonna be trouble. He threw some good sinking fastballs but was starting to get up. When you haven't thrown a slider in the last few games you don't want to get beat on it. If he throws the fastball down it is a grounder.

Interesting take, and while I agree that Wieters probably would have helped the situation, how many saves did Jim Johnson blow with Wieters catching? In the end, a good pitcher doesn't really let his catcher dictate how he pitches. Zach just wasn't very good tonight.

I think you misread. I was never a fan of Wieter's game calling and felt Hundley called it like Wieters would have.

How is this on Hundley..

How many times are we going to watch Buck sit on his hands as his designated closer gets rocked on a night he doesn't have it.

Last year they use to show stats of how the league had an OPS > 1.0 after Jim Johnson exceeded 20 pitches.

Tonite Britton was wild high and Buck let him give up a walk off HR on his 27th pitch, with a rested Tommy Hunter in the bullpen.

Inexcusable managing

He has been throwing his sinker every time with Joseph in there as well. He only those the other pitch once or twice an apearence and mostly when he is not in a tough spot. As soon as the 2-1 pitch was a ball it was gonna be trouble. He threw some good sinking fastballs but was starting to get up. When you haven't thrown a slider in the last few games you don't want to get beat on it. If he throws the fastball down it is a grounder.

The big difference is you can keep calling the sinker when he's commanding the pitch and keeping it down. Britton was not doing that and on top of it, he was over throwing at 97-98 mph and the ball was starting to straighten out. A good catcher has to have that feel. Sometimes a pitcher just needs to throw a different pitch. As good as Britton's sinker is, and it is a pure plus-plus pitch most of the time, the fact is you have to have a feel for the game when calling pitches. In the end i agree, Britton wasn't very good tonight and I think it was the first time I've seen looked hyped up (probably too hyped).

The big question for Britton is how does he react to his first meltdown of the year? Hopefully he's able to turn the page, but these kinds of losses are painful, especially to Al east teams.

How is this on Hundley..

How many times are we going to watch Buck sit on his hands as his designated closer gets rocked on a night he doesn't have it.

Last year they use to show stats of how the league had an OPS > 1.0 after Jim Johnson exceeded 20 pitches.

Tonite Britton was wild high and Buck let him give up a walk off HR on his 27th pitch, with a rested Tommy Hunter in the bullpen.

Inexcusable managing

Huh? You really think he was going to pull Britton when he was one pitch away from getting out of it around 17 pitches into the inning? You gotta really be stretching it to blame Buck here. Britton has been great all year and is the closer. He was overthrowing and struggling to command his sinker tonight, but also was throwing some great pitches. In the end, he blew it, but to me, this was a combination of Britton being too hyped up and overthrowing and Hundley having little feel for his pitcher and the game.

Why was Britton throwing fastballs instead of sinkers? His fastball is not so hard to hit for a MLB player and it was poorly located.

They were all sinkers from what I could tell. Even at 97 they were diving. However, at 97-98, they tend to straighten out more, hence the thought that he was overthrowing. 95 with extreme movement is better than 98 with less movement.

I don't think Tony is wrong but Hundley would have been crucified (Buck holding the spikes) if Britton loses that game on a slider.

Look I know the old adage of not getting beat with your 2nd or 3rd best pitch, but you have to mix in a different pitch once in a while, especially when he wasn't able to command the sinker tonight. Heck, a few times he actually got arm-side run instead of sink and unless he was trying to do that (i doubt it) it showed that things were just not working. I especially would have tried the slider to McCann.

Some of this is the fact that I'm not a fan of one-pitch pitchers, no matter how good that pitch is. Some nights Britton can just throw the pitch because he's commanding down in the zone. Tonight wasn't that night. A good catcher has to see this and call something else. Again, it's a feel thing. Britton has been amazing this year primarily throwing the sinker, but tonight was one of the few nights he wasn't commanding the pitch. that's the time you go to his other offerings.

Archived