Aberdeen: 1-11, 2.0 runs scored per game

Frobby

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw them in person for one game. The infield defense is horrible - Tarpley had a terrible line but the defense couldn't get to anything.

Segui wouldn't start for Calvert Hall.

Veloz walks around the way Jose Canseco used to - like an aloof doofus who thinks he's the man. He fell asleep twice and let runners get to second after missed outs at third. Merullo took him out after the second. He will never, ever, never play for Buck.

Merullo had a really bad game coaching third. I can see why they are losing lots of one run games.

Wilkerson triple clutched on a relay throw to third. I've never seen that. In his defense he probably thought three times that Veloz would do something stupid anyway.

On the positive end, Murphy looks like a man among men who are older than him. Good arm, and some pop in the bat.

That sounds like the Steve Wilkerson I watched all last summer. Good athlete with decent range, prone to messing up the simple stuff like throwing and taking the ball out of his glove.

Once Anderson signs officially and gets there, Veloz should move to first. He isn't quick enough on his feet to handle third. That should also push Segui out of the lineup, because a first baseman with a .294 OPS is not going to cut it.

Apart from Murphy and Heim, there isn't really anybody worth watching on the position side unless Veloz starts hitting. Pitching has some interesting names -- in addition to Tarpley, I like Janser Severino and Bennett Parry, and I've heard good things about Alexander Santana.

Still, this looks a lot like the 2011 team that started similarly poorly. At least there's Murphy.

I saw them in person for one game. The infield defense is horrible - Tarpley had a terrible line but the defense couldn't get to anything.

Segui wouldn't start for Calvert Hall.

Veloz walks around the way Jose Canseco used to - like an aloof doofus who thinks he's the man. He fell asleep twice and let runners get to second after missed outs at third. Merullo took him out after the second. He will never, ever, never play for Buck.

Merullo had a really bad game coaching third. I can see why they are losing lots of one run games.

Wilkerson triple clutched on a relay throw to third. I've never seen that. In his defense he probably thought three times that Veloz would do something stupid anyway.

On the positive end, Murphy looks like a man among men who are older than him. Good arm, and some pop in the bat.

Never ever say, "never, ever, never".....

Thanks again eb45 - where in OH?

With Cisco, Murphy, and Heim, I think the O's were trying to corner the market on teenage catching prospects. They seem to have hit gold with Cisco and very possibly with Murphy. Heim doesn't even turn 19 till June 27th, so I'll give him some time.

Never ever say, "never, ever, never".....

Thanks again eb45 - where in OH?

Bryan, in Williams County, the far northwest corner. Got a job at the newspaper here. It's nice, and I love my job, but I miss the east coast.

I know it's still early in the season, but looking at their box score seems to indicate there's one guy on the team that's very different from the others. Everyone's hitting under .190 except Murphy - who's hitting about .350.

They're awful every year!

Last year was a noteable exception. They were a playoff team and many of the players there fueled the strong first half that Delmarva had this season. So, that group had some talent. That's why it is particularly disappointing to see them regress this year. Delmarva fans had better brace themselves for 2015, because apparently there's not much young talent in the pipeline, especially on offense.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tonight's game is the first time the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IronBirds?src=hash">#IronBirds</a> have hit multiple home runs in a game this season. (Veloz - 2, Moquete - 1)</p>— IronBirds PR (@IronBirdsPR) <a href="

">June 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

However,

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Aberdeen is now 0-6 when they hit a home run. Tonight was the first night they hit more than one homer in a game.</p>— IronBirds PR (@IronBirdsPR) <a href="

but....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IronBirds?src=hash">#IronBirds</a> fall, 6-2, to the Cyclones. Dylan Bundy gets the start tomorrow at home vs. HV. Call 410-297-9292 for tickets.</p>— Aberdeen IronBirds (@IronBirds) <a href="

Archived