(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It's a shame the Cubs aren't really a good fit with us.   They don't have the young talent we need.

Yeah both their top pitching prospects are on the DL now.  I guess they could build a deal around Addison Russel who is under control through 2021.  His glove would look good on the left side of the infield though and he has a .351 OBP. 

The Cubs do have enough to get Manny but they would have to use their young talent in the majors now to do it.  They can center it around Baez, Happ or Russel( not the choice i would make because not under control much more.  However they still have some pitching that is highly regarded just in the lower levels.  If you can put Lange in a deal he would fit in nice with the other young guys we have in A ball.  

40 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It's a shame the Cubs aren't really a good fit with us.   They don't have the young talent we need.

The only young talent they have is already at the MLB level. Baez (25), Contreras (26),  Schwarber (25) and Happ (23). At this point Addison Russell (24) is no more than a throw in. He certainly wouldn't be the center piece of a deal for Machado. Why not ask for Happ AND Russell and make them our double play combo of the future? Then shift Schoop to 3B next year. 

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The only young talent they have is already at the MLB level. Baez (25), Contreras (26),  Schwarber (25) and Happ (23). At this point Addison Russell (24) is no more than a throw in. He certainly wouldn't be the center piece of a deal for Machado. Why not ask for Happ AND Russell and make them our double play combo of the future? Then shift Schoop to 3B next year. 

I'd do that. Happ is struggling and seems to be blocked in CF and 2B and would be blocked by Manny in a trade. 

If they could get a pitching prospect too that'd be a deal I'd be okay with. 

16 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

24 year olds shortstops who are on pace to put up nearly a 5 war season just grow on trees these day eh?

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

24 year olds shortstops who are on pace to put up nearly a 5 war season just grow on trees these day eh?

It's pretty sad when you have to go back to his outlier season (2016) to make your argument. And just a FYI his WAR that season was 4.1 which is a far cry from "nearly 5". 

Russell is a solid defender and below average bat. His WAR will be between 2 and 2.5 most years. 15 hrs / 5ish RBIs with a .250 batting average and 2-5 steals is his upside. Happ is an unproven bat who strikes out way too much. He could be great or he could be Chris Davis 2.0. Happ / Russell for Machado would be a fair trade and would make sense if the Cubs feel like they can resign Machado. 

25 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's pretty sad when you have to go back to his outlier season (2016) to make your argument. And just a FYI his WAR that season was 4.1 which is a far cry from "nearly 5". 

Russell is a solid defender and below average bat. His WAR will be between 2 and 2.5 most years. 15 hrs / 5ish RBIs with a .250 batting average and 2-5 steals is his upside. Happ is an unproven bat who strikes out way too much. He could be great or he could be Chris Davis 2.0. Happ / Russell for Machado would be a fair trade and would make sense if the Cubs feel like they can resign Machado. 

What are you talking about? I was talking about this year, he's nearly on pace for 5. He only has 3 seasons under his belt before this one. His rookie year(2015) he put up 2.6 in 142 games, in 2016 he put up 3.3 in 151 games. Last year in a year he dealt with injuries and personal problem he regressed and only put up a 1.4 in 110 games. So far in 2018 he's put up 1.9 in 62 games. He's more than a solid defender, he led the NL in DRS last year and he's doing so again this year. 15HRs is his upside? He already had a season where he hit 21. He has a ton of upside, that's why he was a top 5 prospect in the game.

Can probably count the Braves out after they claimed the $4.4 owed to Herrera was close to their budget and thus showed no interest before he went to the nats.  Now teams do make exceptions and can get owners to extend budgets if there is a real chance but I would call this the elimination of one of the teams he could go to.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Can probably count the Braves out after they claimed the $4.4 owed to Herrera was close to their budget and thus showed no interest before he went to the nats.  Now teams do make exceptions and can get owners to extend budgets if there is a real chance but I would call this the elimination of one of the teams he could go to.

I find it hard to believe that with a brand new ballpark they can't afford the 100M payroll they had in 2014.

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

What are you talking about? I was talking about this year, he's nearly on pace for 5. He only has 3 seasons under his belt before this one. His rookie year(2015) he put up 2.6 in 142 games, in 2016 he put up 3.3 in 151 games. Last year in a year he dealt with injuries and personal problem he regressed and only put up a 1.4 in 110 games. So far in 2018 he's put up 1.9 in 62 games. He's more than a solid defender, he led the NL in DRS last year and he's doing so again this year. 15HRs is his upside? He already had a season where he hit 21. He has a ton of upside, that's why he was a top 5 prospect in the game.

He doesn't sparkle to the intelegensia like he used to. 

Archived