Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

So for everyone who feels that Gausman has been messed with, lay out what you would have done differently rotation wise. Do it so Tillman and Ubaldo aren't pitching every seventh day. The problem was when Gonzalez went on the DL he was pitching well enough to be in the rotation. When Gausman replaced him, he was terrific. Gonzalez has been bad since he came back. Buck wasn't going to have both Tillman and Ubaldo go on seven days. Gausman will be back up on Sunday and have another start before the ASG. Then they'll line up the rotation with Gausman and Norris and Gonzalez will be in the pen unless someone gets hurt.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with you most of the time. But I don't think you need apologize. You

haven't hurt my feelings any. Opinions are like mouths. We all have them.

Cheer up buddy. The O's won.

Yeah, I disagree with you (Birdland) here, but I haven't seen anything neg rep worthy.

Great post. Good for Birdland for sticking his neck out there. I doubted Gausman quite frankly and thought he should remain in AAA all year. He pitched 3 games and they were lights out. So what do we do? Send him down.

Got it.

He belongs in the majors. All this shuffling cannot be good for him despite the homers making jokes otherwise.

I think Palmer knows a thing or two about pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True he does know about pitching. But I think Buck knows a thing or two about

managing. What Palmer doesn't know about is what is going on in the FO. I do

believe what they are doing is for the good of the team and for Kevin. Some may

not like it. These men are pro's at what they do. We as fans will never know the

inside of the FO. I Just have to believe it will work out for the best.

So for everyone who feels that Gausman has been messed with, lay out what you would have done differently rotation wise. Do it so Tillman and Ubaldo aren't pitching every seventh day. The problem was when Gonzalez went on the DL he was pitching well enough to be in the rotation. When Gausman replaced him, he was terrific. Gonzalez has been bad since he came back. Buck wasn't going to have both Tillman and Ubaldo go on seven days. Gausman will be back up on Sunday and have another start before the ASG. Then they'll line up the rotation with Gausman and Norris and Gonzalez will be in the pen unless someone gets hurt.

Whole lotta drama bout nothing as far as I am concerned. As a group we are prob in the dark about fair amount of what goes into decisions such as these. Its not like Gonzo is Sweaty Freddy, prior to going on the DL he was pitching pretty well. This whole thread has that Jerry Springer manufactured outrage feel about it. Sry just my view on it. I might prefer to see KG in the rotation but I am not gonna get on a soap box and pretend I am more intelligent than DD and Buck nor am I going to assume that they are just messing with KG lol.

I don't know what you are talking about. The simple solution is to start Gausman tomorrow on regular rest and Tillman the next on one extra day's rest. He's the vet, let him suck it up and deal with it. Besides hasn't he been whining about a groin pull? Every body else does fine with an extra day's rest.

I don't know what you are talking about. The simple solution is to start Gausman tomorrow on regular rest and Tillman the next on one extra day's rest. He's the vet, let him suck it up and deal with it. Besides hasn't he been whining about a groin pull? Every body else does fine with an extra day's rest.

Maybe they feel like things are finally going well with Tillman so why upset the apple cart when you do not have to?

If they intend on limiting KG's innings then perhaps the time to manage that is now instead of having to artificially find ways to do in the second half if he comes up and is doing well.

KG is going to be a very good starter, right now though he is still a rookie and still capable of putting up some not so stellar performances. Lets not act as if we are sitting Pedro Martinez in his prime to start Gonzo

I was talking about if they hadn't sent Gausman down in the first place. I haven't heard Tillman whine about a groin pull. I have seen him beat Tanaka and then go pitch 8 on the second half of a doubleheader and saving the bullpen. Why you'd want to take him off his routine, I have no idea. Then you also want to take Chen off of his routine AND pitch him in Boston where he's had problems.

Whole lotta drama bout nothing as far as I am concerned. As a group we are prob in the dark about fair amount of what goes into decisions such as these. Its not like Gonzo is Sweaty Freddy, prior to going on the DL he was pitching pretty well. This whole thread has that Jerry Springer manufactured outrage feel about it. Sry just my view on it. I might prefer to see KG in the rotation but I am not gonna get on a soap box and pretend I am more intelligent than DD and Buck nor am I going to assume that they are just messing with KG lol.

I think you just can't recognize abuse. I also heard they took away his lucky rabbit's foot and think it's funny to have him smoke a pack of cigarettes before each start.

Maybe they feel like things are finally going well with Tillman so why upset the apple cart when you do not have to?

If they intend on limiting KG's innings then perhaps the time to manage that is now instead of having to artificially find ways to do in the second half if he comes up and is doing well.

KG is going to be a very good starter, right now though he is still a rookie and still capable of putting up some not so stellar performances. Lets not act as if we are sitting Pedro Martinez in his prime to start Gonzo

Fine if they want to limit his innings stick him in Norfolk and let him pitch on regular rest. Make do with McF spot starts if they need to. Just stop jerking Kevin around.

Trust me, Greg Bader and the Angelos boys will be calling Palmer tomorrow and tell him his job is not to provide critical analysis. His job is to be a homer and support everything the club does, just like Bordick, Hunter, and Davis.

Bull.

Palmer did not suddenly start criticizing the Orioles in regard to the latest circumstances of Kevin Gausman.

Palmer has been critical of the Orioles FOR YEARS, particularly before 2012, when the goal of the team was to avoid 100 losses.

If Angelos and company were going to try to strong-arm Palmer into singing a sweeter tune, it would have happened a long time ago. So, it is highly doubtful that your assertion that he will be "calling Palmer tomorrow to instruct him how to do his job" has any merit.

I was talking about if they hadn't sent Gausman down in the first place. I haven't heard Tillman whine about a groin pull. I have seen him beat Tanaka and then go pitch 8 on the second half of a doubleheader and saving the bullpen. Why you'd want to take him off his routine, I have no idea. Then you also want to take Chen off of his routine AND pitch him in Boston where he's had problems.
If Tillman can't deal with one extra day's rest he should be in Norfolk . He's been no great shakes this year.

Fine if they want to limit his innings stick him in Norfolk and let him pitch on regular rest. Make do with McF spot starts if they need to. Just stop jerking Kevin around.

I always felt the incarnation of the "cavalry" that included Tillman, Arrieta, Britton and Matusz came up here with an air of entitlement. I never really felt they appreciated the position they were in or felt all that horrible about the terrible results they were getting. Its no surprise to me that the two guys who have put up the best production (Tillman and Britton IMO) are the two guys who got "jerked around" the most and had to work the hardest to get back. Maybe had Arrieta and Matusz been jerked around more, they would have produced better while here . That just my personal impression. I am not saying they did not care at all just saying that for me, they were just a little to casual about it.

I tend to think DD and Buck agree with me here and that they are determined to instill a sense within their young players that wearing the uniform and filling the role you have is a privilege earned by their hard work, results and willingness to do what is asked of them. Nothing wrong with that IMO. KG knows he will be in the rotation, he also knows that he will have to work hard to stay there and personally I think that knowledge is reflected in the steady improvement we have seen in him throughout his development. IIts a refreshing change in culture IMO.

If coming up and down from the minors to the big club a few times in his first couple seasons is going to somehow derail this kid then he is hardly made of the stuff we all hope he is.

So for everyone who feels that Gausman has been messed with, lay out what you would have done differently rotation wise. Do it so Tillman and Ubaldo aren't pitching every seventh day.

Gonzalez came back from the DL and pitched on June 17th and stunk up the joint. Gausman started a day later and turned in his 3rd straight good performance all the while showing top of the rotation stuff that no other pitcher on this staff can match.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to send our rusty average 30yo back-of-the-rotation starter on this goofy Minor League odyssey for awhile instead of our most prized pitching asset who just so happened to be flat out dealing at the time?

It appears Gonzo has options. Is there some other procedural rule that would have prevented Duquette from doing this?

Gonzalez came back from the DL and pitched on June 17th and stunk up the joint. Gausman started a day later and turned in his 3rd straight good performance all the while showing top of the rotation stuff that no other pitcher on this staff can match.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to send our rusty average 30yo back-of-the-rotation starter on this goofy Minor League odyssey for awhile instead of our most prized pitching asset who just so happened to be flat out dealing at the time?

It appears Gonzo has options. Is there some other procedural rule that would have prevented Duquette from doing this?

Gonzo was pitching well before he went on the DL.

Unlike some people I think the O's would be open to trading Gonzales....he may not be the greatest starter but he is a serviceable 4 or 5 on a bad team IMO, he is cheap and worst case scenario he prob does well in the pen. He is a guy you could package with some prospects to get a deal done IMO potentially. The best way to keep that value IMO is to have him start so long as its reasonable to think he could be effective. He may have had a few bad outing since coming back but if we banished every guy who has a rough outing after coming of the DL there would be very few SP in MLB and ton of relievers.

Not saying that DD is gonna trade Gonzo but if you want to limit KG's innings and you want to keep all your options open regarding trades and hopefully maximizing what you can get then keeping Gonzo in the rotation makes some sense for the short term. DD seems to be a guy who loves his options. Sending Gonzo to the pen does not preclude being able to move him but it does not send the best message either about his value.

Archived