Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

I think you just can't recognize abuse. I also heard they took away his lucky rabbit's foot and think it's funny to have him smoke a pack of cigarettes before each start.

Actually, I have it on good authority that the Orioles asked Kevin Gausman to resume his old college routine with donuts, but in this case simply replace donuts with cigarettes; in this way the tradition which was so key to his success was mostly maintained, but a kiddie product was replaced with one more befitting of a hard, world-weary major leaguer.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bingo. Jim Palmer knows what's up.

This organization is a joke when it comes to developing pitchers and getting them to the majors. Yet we want to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I wish someone would write a chronological write-up of all the call-ups, drops, and everything in between for Kevin Gausman over the last 2 years.

R

It's a joke, really.

I have been pretty critical of how the O's have handled Gausman. However, I will say this: (1) at all times, the Orioles have done what they've done because they believed it would help them to win the most games that season, with Gausman's development being only a secondary objective to that main goal, and (2) nothing they've done is likely to hurt Gausman in the long run. I'd be happier if they had left him in the minors through August last year, and had given him two full months of starts this year before calling him up. And I think at this point he'd be better off pitching every five days in the majors instead of being yo-yoed around. But I only think the latter because the former did not prevent him from pitching well this June. He could be in a somewhat better position to succeed right now, but I am gaining confidence that he's going to succeed despite the somewhat erratic development path the Orioles have followed. And luckily, the pitching is going so well that we don't have to put Gausman's development as the number one priority.

Just out of curiosity, how many other consensus top 10 prospects in baseball have been called up and sent down multiple times in one season recently?

I doubt there is a very large president. I'm not a fan of how they are handling Gausman either, hopefully it doesn't have any adverse affects long term but considering our recent track record, I'm not too keen on what we've been doing with him this year.

Just out of curiosity, how many other consensus top 10 prospects in baseball have been called up and sent down multiple times in one season recently?

I doubt there is a very large president. I'm not a fan of how they are handling Gausman either, hopefully it doesn't have any adverse affects long term but considering our recent track record, I'm not too keen on what we've been doing with him this year.

Since I can't edit, I'll post this here........

I meant to add, how many consensus top 10 prospects have been called up and sent down multiple times in one season BEFORE the all star break?

It can't be more than 1 or 2 can it?

Since I can't edit, I'll post this here........

I meant to add, how many consensus top 10 prospects have been called up and sent down multiple times in one season BEFORE the all star break?

It can't be more than 1 or 2 can it?

Probably very few, if any. But the current situation isn't the product of some crazy development plan. The confluence of Norris' injury and the day/night doubleheader caused the O's to send Gausman down as an artifice to staff the rotation and the bullpen over a 15 day period.

Not since Taft.

This team has no clue how to handle top pitching prospect.
I'm sure there is some roster management reason to be doing this, as it keeps Tillman, Chen, Gonzo and Jimenez on a 5-day schedule and allows them to keep an extra reliever in the pen while fielding a 24-man roster due to Manny's suspension. But I do not particuarly like it either. Gausman was on a nice three-game roll before they messed with him.

I love how keeping him on a regular throwing schedule against actual ballpayers is "messing with a prospect" but if they'd kept him in Baltimore, played down a man on the roster, and just had him chewin' sunflower seeds and throwing a bullpen session all would be right with the world.

I can see why lots of people wanted to trade Gausman for Samardjiza or Cliff Lee or whatever, since his fragile mental condition can't overcome a 30-minute drive up to Aberdeen and pitching off a slightly unfamiliar mound to *gasp* a few A-ball batters.

I love how keeping him on a regular throwing schedule against actual ballpayers is "messing with a prospect" but if they'd kept him in Baltimore, played down a man on the roster, and just had him chewin' sunflower seeds and throwing a bullpen session all would be right with the world.

I can see why lots of people wanted to trade Gausman for Samardjiza or Cliff Lee or whatever, since his fragile mental condition can't overcome a 30-minute drive up to Aberdeen and pitching off a slightly unfamiliar mound to *gasp* a few A-ball batters.

That's not really the issue. The issue is he could be starting in Baltimore this Thursday. The shuffling around certainly cost him 1-2 major league starts he could have had before the all star break. And considering how well he pitched in his first three June starts, it's arguable that the O's should have pitched him in his regular turn to keep his momentum going. But it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Gonzalez came back from the DL and pitched on June 17th and stunk up the joint. Gausman started a day later and turned in his 3rd straight good performance all the while showing top of the rotation stuff that no other pitcher on this staff can match.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to send our rusty average 30yo back-of-the-rotation starter on this goofy Minor League odyssey for awhile instead of our most prized pitching asset who just so happened to be flat out dealing at the time?

It appears Gonzo has options. Is there some other procedural rule that would have prevented Duquette from doing this?

They may have been able to do that and have Gonzo be the 26th man on the double header. That's possible.

But if Gonzo's performance of giving up 4 runs in a five inning win is demotion worthy, why are we worried about bringing back a guy who gave up 5 runs in 5 innings? Miguel's been a solid starter for this club for two years. Look, when the dust settles, I believe that Tillman, Jimenez, Norris, Gausman, and Chen are the 5 guys that are going to carry the rotation in the second half. And I believe that's what you'll see when Norris returns. But I'm not going to kill them for how Gausman's been handled this year...I do think he was rushed last season.

I will add that I expect Gausman to pitch for Baltimore on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. If not, I'd be quite surprised.

How is Bud doing? I think Gonzalez will lose his spot if he throws up another stinker.

Archived