Anyone see Ortiz?

lormat

I met Ortiz during a rehab stint in Pawtucket. He started late after the game to meet anyone who wanted to meet him, and couldn't have been any nicer or more jovial. Stuff like this really hurts to see, and it's hard to reconcile the impressions I have of him. I still had a great experience meeting him, but I really can't stand the on-field antics.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a tough nut to crack for me. He does truly seem like a nice guy off the field. I've seen a lot of the stuff he's done with kids, and while a lot of that is obviously PR type stuff, he seems like he's really engaged and enjoying himself while he does it.

But then some of the on-field stuff is really silly. This event here didn't bother me so much. But the incident with the phone last year, where he went nuts because the pitcher "disrespected his at bat"? That was stupid. And the thing with the scorekeeper - that was stupid too. Seems to me like he's a decent guy but just gets too wrapped up with himself in the context of the game.

I met Ortiz during a rehab stint in Pawtucket. He started late after the game to meet anyone who wanted to meet him, and couldn't have been any nicer or more jovial. Stuff like this really hurts to see, and it's hard to reconcile the impressions I have of him. I still had a great experience meeting him, but I really can't stand the on-field antics.

That's kind of my take on him as well. There's been too many times where he seems like a genuinely nice guy and fun kind of person to be around. But then there's the other antics he pulls, like he thinks his **** doesn't stink.

He's a tough nut to crack for me. He does truly seem like a nice guy off the field. I've seen a lot of the stuff he's done with kids, and while a lot of that is obviously PR type stuff, he seems like he's really engaged and enjoying himself while he does it.

But then some of the on-field stuff is really silly. This event here didn't bother me so much. But the incident with the phone last year, where he went nuts because the pitcher "disrespected his at bat"? That was stupid. And the thing with the scorekeeper - that was stupid too. Seems to me like he's a decent guy but just gets too wrapped up with himself in the context of the game.

I think when he is not on the drugs that he is nicer.

If Chris Davis did that everyone here would be applauding it as a boss move.

Personally I thought it was funny. It was obvious to everyone that they had no intention of throwing a strike to him there.

No. I would not call it a boss move. Just like I did not call Manny tossing the bat "Manny being Manny." You have your own thought but please do not put them on me. Thank you.

Thought it was hilarious, don't understand why this is worth crying about at all. Might as well complain when batters totally relax in the middle of a 3-0 pitch, when they're taking all the way.

It's called respect. Respect for the pitcher, respect for the opposing team ... hell, respect for the fans that paid to see you and your TALENT, not you and your ATTITUDE. It's bush league, pure and simple. If that happened in a high school game, the kids dad likely takes him aside slaps him up side the head ... but somehow, because he's at the professional level, it's somehow ok.

I also agree with CoC. That was my understanding of the rule. If you're not in the batters box, it's an automatic strike.

It's called respect. Respect for the pitcher, respect for the opposing team ... hell, respect for the fans that paid to see you and your TALENT, not you and your ATTITUDE.

Why should he have respect for the pitcher? What is he respecting? How can he demonstrate his talents when he is being pitched around? In fact I would say it's a demonstration of talent to predict a pitch entirely. Pretty much the most demonstrative thing you could do in the situation since he isn't getting a strike. Maybe he would have respect for a pitcher who challenged him and owned him.

It's bush league, pure and simple. If that happened in a high school game, the kids dad likely takes him aside slaps him up side the head ... but somehow, because he's at the professional level, it's somehow ok.

It's pretty much always OK, dad sounds like a dope for slapping his son for having good baseball insiltinct and plate discipline.

lso agree with CoC. That was my understanding of the rule. If you're not in the batters box, it's an automatic strike.

I don't know the rule well because I don't think I've ever seen it called on a game I'm watching.

Why should he have respect for the pitcher? What is he respecting? How can he demonstrate his talents when he is being pitched around? In fact I would say it's a demonstration of talent to predict a pitch entirely. Pretty much the most demonstrative thing you could do in the situation since he isn't getting a strike. Maybe he would have respect for a pitcher who challenged him and owned him.

Intentional walks are a strategic part of the game and, fyi, it takes absolutely zero talent to predict that pitch. It's called an intentional walk. You know what the pitch is because the pitcher and catcher are clearly SHOWING you what they're doing.

It's pretty much always OK, dad sounds like a dope for slapping his son for having good baseball insiltinct and plate discipline.

Again, it's an intentional walk. This takes absolutely zero baseball instinct or plate discipline. All you have to do is stand there and hold your bat. The other team is being very clear about what they're doing.

I don't know the rule well because I don't think I've ever seen it called on a game I'm watching.

That's because it's a simple rule, so you almost never see guys break it. You only get 3 strikes; why add one without making the pitcher even throw a pitch? Also, the rule is more there for guys who stand too close to the plate. Usually not for guys going in the other direction. lol But yeah, step out of the batters box during the pitch and it's an auto. strike.

Intentional walks are a strategic part of the game and, fyi, it takes absolutely zero talent to predict that pitch. It's called an intentional walk. You know what the pitch is because the pitcher and catcher are clearly SHOWING you what they're doing.

Again, it's an intentional walk. This takes absolutely zero baseball instinct or plate discipline. All you have to do is stand there and hold your bat. The other team is being very clear about what they're doing.

That's because it's a simple rule, so you almost never see guys break it. You only get 3 strikes; why add one without making the pitcher even throw a pitch? Also, the rule is more there for guys who stand too close to the plate. Usually not for guys going in the other direction. lol But yeah, step out of the batters box during the pitch and it's an auto. strike.

I think that Ortiz is a jerk, and I can see where his actions on the fourth pitch can be interpreted as bush. However, I think that a bit of clarification is in order as well.

From my viewpoint, this was not an intentional walk. Rather, the Cubs were pitching around Ortiz. The catcher was obviously set up outside the zone. Ortiz knew that the next pitch was going to be outside of the zone. His stepping out of the box was show boating IMO. It was along the lines of, "You're not going to throw me a strike, so I'm not going to stand here and take it." No real skill here, it's pretty much the move of an arrogant player who gets a media pass because of where he plays.

I looked up the rule, and the umpire has the discretion to call a ball or strike if a hitter leaves the box. You see this when a batter is not granted time and the pitcher throws a pitch. It's not an automatic strike. FWIW, the umpire made the correct call.

... he missed David Lough guarding the line. Lough played the carom perfectly and erased Ortiz by at least 10 feet.

“I’m trying to get closer to the plate, man,” Ortiz said. “Hit a ball closer to the line and I was just going for it and the guy made a nice play. What can you do? Trying to make things happen.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2014/07/bottom_nowhere_in_sight_for_these_red_sox

Archived