Ex Oriole Pat Neshek

bpilktree

He was accommodating the player which could easily pay dividends down the road.

It probably already has paid dividends. The Orioles have a good reputation based on stories like Neshek, and I'm sure that this reputation has helped them land vets like Bell and Santana to minor league deals.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Minnesota, SD, and Oakland all whiffed on Neshek too, then, since they all either lost him thru waivers or granted him free agency.

None of the players we traded for Teagarden, who served a good purpose his first year here, and for Eveland, who pitched 33.33 innings for the O's and now pitches for the Mets, have even a single appearance in big league ball.

I think the Eveland deal drove SportsGuy out, or maybe drove him to a level of insanity that got him banned. Don't remember which. But Jarret Martin is still in AA, walking over a batter an inning. Tyler Henson appears to have become a AAA lifer, with a .714 OPS in over 1000 plate appearances as a utility guy at that level. Teagarden was traded for Randy Henry (not pitching well in AAA, did pitch well last year, but baseball is not kind to minor league relievers with so-so K rates), and Greg Miclat (.614 OPS last year, is hitting .174 this year). Seems likely that no one involved in either deal, on either side, will have any kind of impact in the majors.

It probably already has paid dividends. The Orioles have a good reputation based on stories like Neshek, and I'm sure that this reputation has helped them land vets like Bell and Santana to minor league deals.

Exactly. The Orioles already had a reputation as being a disorganized, ill-prepared organization from the 2000s. This kind of thing helped mend some fences. There was no rational, logical reason to believe Neshek would become an All Star level reliever, so it's not like they gave away a huge asset for almost nothing. They gave away a veteran guy who was pitching reasonably well for Norfolk and had an opening elsewhere.

You definitely don't do that in your OOTP league, but this is real life.

Exactly. The Orioles already had a reputation as being a disorganized, ill-prepared organization from the 2000s. This kind of thing helped mend some fences. There was no rational, logical reason to believe Neshek would become an All Star level reliever, so it's not like they gave away a huge asset for almost nothing. They gave away a veteran guy who was pitching reasonably well for Norfolk and had an opening elsewhere.

Kind of off-topic but I wish OH could begin an OOTP league. I mentioned it before but not many others seemed interested.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't win every trade or predict every future. For all of the Arrietas, Simons, Nesheks, Hammels, and Strops we whiff on, we get an $8M deal for Cruz, we find a Miguel Gonzalez, we claim a Darren O'Day, we claim a TJ MacFarland, or rescue a Chris Davis, revamp a Nate McLouth, or resurrect a JJ Hardy. We've gotten much value out of cast-offs and send-aways... it goes both ways.

You can't win every trade or predict every future. For all of the Arrietas, Simons, Nesheks, Hammels, and Strops we whiff on, we get an $8M deal for Cruz, we find a Miguel Gonzalez, we claim a Darren O'Day, we claim a TJ MacFarland, or rescue a Chris Davis, revamp a Nate McLouth, or resurrect a JJ Hardy. We've gotten much value out of cast-offs and send-aways... it goes both ways.

I agree, but I would say that Strop is not someone I would want in our pen this year. His BB/9 innings is 9.9, WHIP 1.263 in NL Central. Not good, and it was a good idea to get him out of our bullpen by trade or DFA. Arrieta is doing well for half a season, but I am still not convinced he doesn't implode again. Neshek turned out unpredictably better as his fastball mysteriously returned as was Simon. Hammel we got good value from. I am overall pleased with DD's choices.

I'll disagree.

Pat Neshek had some down years in the minors from 2010-2011, but in 2012 for the Orioles he rebounded back to his starling K and BB numbers.

2012 w/ the Tides: 10.0 SO/9, 1.4 BB/9, and a pristine 0.2 HR/9. He had a WHIP near 1.1. In a body of 44 IP.

The O's picked him up off the scrap heap that year. And then gave the A's a very, very effective weapon in which he pitched to the tune of a 1.37 ERA. A 0.814 WHIP. Anyways, it was a whiff by Duquette. Same w/ Turner. I *****ed then when it happened on each. And I'm *****ing now.

I think the difference w/ Neshek and Turner is MacPhail and Duquette just gave them away.

I'll disagree.

Pat Neshek had some down years in the minors from 2010-2011, but in 2012 for the Orioles he rebounded back to his starling K and BB numbers.

2012 w/ the Tides: 10.0 SO/9, 1.4 BB/9, and a pristine 0.2 HR/9. He had a WHIP near 1.1. In a body of 44 IP.

The O's picked him up off the scrap heap that year. And then gave the A's a very, very effective weapon in which he pitched to the tune of a 1.37 ERA. A 0.814 WHIP. Anyways, it was a whiff by Duquette. Same w/ Turner. I *****ed then when it happened on each. And I'm *****ing now.

He was a 31 year old RHP who had little success in the majors, especially the three years before we got him. Our bullpen was our strength all season in 2012 and there was no room for him. They could have kept him in the minors all season and not traded him and he could have gone some place else the next season. I don't see how anyone can seriously be pissed about him being traded.

I think the difference w/ Neshek and Turner is MacPhail and Duquette just gave them away.

With Neshek, I recall that it seemed to be that the Orioles did not have a 25 man slot without either jettisoning Gregg (which they should have done but were not going to do at that time for Neshek) or Ryan Flaherty who was rule 5 at the time (again here in 2014, I would not have minded that either, lol.) But there was also Darren O'Day and the Orioles having two submariner types in the pen didn't seem to be a good idea either. So either you stiffed the veteran journeyman by keeping him in AAA even though you were not going to use him, or you get "future considerations" and good will down the road with other veteran free agents by letting him go to a contending team who could use him. Though Oakland, of course, let him go too, so there was still things that had to change for him to truly be valuable as he is now. Good for him that his fastball has come back mysteriously but no one could have predicted that.

He was a 31 year old RHP who had little success in the majors, especially the three years before we got him. Our bullpen was our strength all season in 2012, and there was no room for him. They could have kept him in the minors all season and not traded him and he could have gone some place else the next season. I don't see how anyone can seriously be pissed about him being traded.

There was room for Neshek.

We chose to keep Kevin Gregg for almost the entire season, due to (in all likelihood) the fact that his salary was almost $6 Million, and we wanted to "get our money's worth" from him before we dumped him, which we finally did in mid-September.

It may not have been foreseeable that Neshek would eventually be having such an incredible season as the one that he is having now, but at that time (in 2012), I wanted Gregg dumped (in favor of Neshek) after his disastrous game against the Red Sox in late May.

There was room for Neshek.

We chose to keep Kevin Gregg for almost the entire season, due to (in all likelihood) the fact that his salary was almost $6 Million, and we wanted to "get our money's worth" from him before we dumped him, which we finally did in mid-September.

It may not have been foreseeable that Neshek would eventually be having such an incredible season as the one that he is having now, but at that time (in 2012), I wanted Gregg dumped (in favor of Neshek) after his disastrous game against the Red Sox in late May.

You're assuming that Neshek would have come up and had the success he has had the last couple years. Success he had not had for the 3 years before that. He also throws very similar to O'Day, I'm not sure having two pitchers who throw like they do on the same team is a good thing. The more you see them the more comfortable it would become. You wouldn't want to throw them in the same game.

You're assuming that Neshek would have come up and had the success he has had the last couple years. Success he had not had for the 3 years before that. He also throws very similar to O'Day, I'm not sure having two pitchers who throw like they do on the same team is a good thing. The more you see them the more comfortable it would become. You wouldn't want to throw them in the same game.
Texas would love to have Darren O'Day back.

Texas would love to have Darren O'Day back.

Yes I'm sure they would. And I'm sure we would like to have Neshek back. But at the time there was no way of knowing he was going to turn around his career and have the success he has the last few years. The same with Justin Turner and Jayson Werth, to name a few. Personally I don't see the infatuation with Turner.

Archived