Ex Oriole Pat Neshek

bpilktree

Right, but you have been quoting ME when you have made the posts which I have been responding to, not other posts/posters.

And I was responding to YOUR comments, not other posts/posters.

Neshek wasn't the only one pitching well at AAA. I have no idea why Socolovich was given a chance and not Neshek. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been given a opportunity or that the O's were correct in not giving him a chance. I'm just saying sitting here after the fact and blaming DD for trading him is wrong. He had done nothing before he was traded to show anyone he was going to be who he is now. You'll remember that year, we also traded Lindstrom for Saunders.

You realize we're arguing about a guy who at the time would have been the 6th or 7th pitcher out of the bp. It's not like they get many high leveraged innings.

It was a general statement about my opinion. I did not say you, it wasn't directed at you. If the statement doesn't fit you, then it's not about you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've looked at his numbers since he left. No clue why anyone would care that he's not with us anymore.

Brian Roberts, Ryan Flattery, and Jonathan Schoop inspire confidence in you?

Justin Turner was practically given away. Since his days with the O's:

2011-2014: .273/.332/.381/.714, an OPS+ of 101. 73 walks only 148 strikeouts.

All while making a grand total of about $2m. And not a free agent until 2017.

He's accumulated 4.2 oWAR, -0.9 dWAR.

But who wanted a relatively patient, controllable, young 2B'man with some decent pop and contact?

What the hell are you talking about?

Please don't use subterfuge, it's very annoying.

Are you the only one saying we should have kept Neshek?
MacPhail whiffed on Justin Turner, Dan Duquette whiffed on Pat Neshek. Pat Neshek was pretty much given to the A's (who were in the running for a Wild Card spot in 2012) for cash. Which made zero sense at the time. And still makes zero sense.
^^^This.

It was a very under-the-radar move at the time that not many people talked about, but I think it was one of the biggest blunders Duquette made in his first year with the team (worse than the trades for Teagarden and Eveland).

I'll disagree.

Pat Neshek had some down years in the minors from 2010-2011, but in 2012 for the Orioles he rebounded back to his starling K and BB numbers.

2012 w/ the Tides: 10.0 SO/9, 1.4 BB/9, and a pristine 0.2 HR/9. He had a WHIP near 1.1. In a body of 44 IP.

The O's picked him up off the scrap heap that year. And then gave the A's a very, very effective weapon in which he pitched to the tune of a 1.37 ERA. A 0.814 WHIP. Anyways, it was a whiff by Duquette. Same w/ Turner. I *****ed then when it happened on each. And I'm *****ing now.

I think the difference w/ Neshek and Turner is MacPhail and Duquette just gave them away.
First, he was given to Oakland for basically nothing.

Second, our bullpen was our strength, but if you recall we had quite the dizzying array of ineffective relievers throughout the year...in particular:

Miguel Socolovich, Kevin Gregg, Zach Phillips, J.C. Romero, and Jason Berken.

It was August 3rd when he was traded to the A's for cash considerations (see: nothing), the A's IMMEDIATELY called him up. And he was lights out for the A's.

If you recall, Miguel Socolovich was pitching right before Neshek was traded to the A's. And Miguel was ineffective. If you also recall, Gregg was terrible up until the middle of July...and then he was placed into mop up duty and pitched adequately. But he was not an effective pitcher otherwise. Actually, from August until the September 9th (last appearance w/ the O's), Kevin Gregg pitched to nearly a 10.00 ERA.

The fact of the matter is that Duquette gave the A's a valuable weapon and relied on a merry go round of ineffective relievers instead.

No subterfuge, just several different people saying similar things.

But who wanted a relatively patient, controllable, young 2B'man with some decent pop and contact?

Did he get traded from the Mets? I know we had Brian Roberts signed to a big contract.

A weapon NO ONE at the time of the trade knew he was going to become what he is right now. If he had been called up to our bullpen he would have been at the back end of the bullpen. Behind Johnson, Ayala, Strop, Patton, O'Day, Matusz and Hunter. Steve Johnson pitched very well at times also. He was traded for nothing because at the time he was worth nothing!

Some would argue the A's knew...considering they called him up IMMEDIATELY after trading for him.

FWIW, I was miffed when they gave him to the A's for nothing. It was a blunder by Duquette to give a weapon to the A's who were basically our direct competition at the time.

As to your point before saying he did nothing prior to being traded...did you even read my post?

2.66 ERA in 44 IP, 10.0 SO/9, 1.4 BB/9, and a 1.114 WHIP isn't anything to be impressed about?

Not sure why the O's stuck w/ Socolovich instead of a proven commodity in Pat Neshek who didn't have options. That's why I'm saying it's a whiff. Guys like Gregg were being used in mop up duty and were largely ineffective throughout the season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turneju01.shtml

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Ft%2Fturneju01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

I'm glad it's you and not me who is losing sleep over those numbers!!

Did he get traded from the Mets? I know we had Brian Roberts signed to a big contract.

Roberts was hurt in 2010 and 2011.

Justin Turner was claimed off waivers by the Mets from the Orioles, FWIW. At the time he was placed on waivers, I said he was going to be picked up. He was nontendered by the Mets after the 2013 season and picked up by the Dodgers for this season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turneju01.shtml

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Ft%2Fturneju01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

I'm glad it's you and not me who is losing sleep over those numbers!!

Your flamboyant expressionism inspires rolled eyes I assure you.

I'm not losing sleep. Just saying that MacPhail whiffed on Turner and Duquette whiffed on Neshek. If people ask for evidence, I give it. It's not losing sleep, so you can quit your act.

Roberts was hurt in 2010 and 2011.

Justin Turner was claimed off waivers by the Mets from the Orioles, FWIW. At the time he was placed on waivers, I said he was going to be picked up. He was nontendered by the Mets after the 2013 season and picked up by the Dodgers for this season.

So. The Mets let him go free also! BTW. He played 5 games before his 2010 DFA. And Roberts was not out at that time. He was the opening day second baseman.

Your flamboyant expressionism inspires rolled eyes I assure you.

I'm not losing sleep. Just saying that MacPhail whiffed on Turner and Duquette whiffed on Neshek. If people ask for evidence, I give it. It's not losing sleep, so you can quit your act.

Sorry, I forgot who you were. :rolleyes:

So. The Mets let him go free also! BTW. He played 5 games before his 2010 DFA. And Roberts was not out at that time. He was the opening day second baseman.

When your team gets better, you let players go. That other teams let go. Before they get good somewhere. Someday. For a season in the sun.

Archived