7-3

6-4

7-3

7-3

6-4

7-3

8-2

5-5

95-65 after 160 games, no more ten game stretches to play. I guess 5-5 playing 3-5 bench players every night is the very definition of coasting. So, all year, the Orioles only were under .500 in two ten-game stretches, and even in those they were only 4-6. They really played steady baseball all the way through the year no matter what the circumstances were.

4-6: two times

5-5: three times

6-4: six times

7-3: four times

8-2: one time

Notably, all the stretches of 7-3 or better came after Game 80.

The 2000 Yankees won the World Series.

Those 2000 Yankees finished the regular season going 3-15 over their final 18 games.

Although they didn't clinch the division title until the Devil Rays beat the Red Sox on September 29th, the 2000 Yankees were never really in danger of losing the division.

Before that 3-15 run to finish the season, the Yankees lead in the division was 9 games. The final margin when the season ended was 2 and-a-half games.

Their final record was 87-74, with one rain-out.

4-6

6-4

6-4

6-4

4-6

5-5

5-5

6-4

7-3

6-4

7-3

7-3

6-4

7-3

8-2

5-5

95-65 after 160 games, no more ten game stretches to play. I guess 5-5 playing 3-5 bench players every night is the very definition of coasting. So, all year, the Orioles only were under .500 in two ten-game stretches, and even in those they were only 4-6. They really played steady baseball all the way through the year no matter what the circumstances were.

4-6: two times

5-5: three times

6-4: six times

7-3: four times

8-2: one time

Notably, all the stretches of 7-3 or better came after Game 80.

Almost a perfect bell curve. Centered on 6-4. .600 winning percentage.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We are treading water, but that is OK all things considered. We just need a few things to break our way, a couple positive surprises and we can go on a run I think. Of course, a few more bad breaks and?

I agree. Get some players healthy and get a few good breaks our way (law of averages) and we will be on a roll (I am always an optimist this early).

Time for the 10 game winning streak

The amazing thing about last year is the team never had any long winning streaks. Six was the longest winning streak of the year. They never did better than 8-2 in any 10-game stretch that I tracked, and only did that once. They just ran up a lot of series wins and stretches where they won 6 or 7 out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...