Darren O'Day this Year.

BJSurhoff27

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
O'Day has an option for next year but would not be opposed to extending him a year or two if he were interested.

Relievers are notoriously inconsistent, O'Day is rock steady though and that makes him very valuable IMO.

ABSOLUTELY!!

2008 was his rookie year. 2011 he was injured. But his ERA+ by season, the other seasons: 253, 241, 221, 185, 190, and so far this season.... 337!! Are you freakin' kidding me?!?! :D

I made a thread earlier this season explaining why Darren O' Day is one of the premier relievers in baseball, closer or otherwise. Nothing he's done this season has changed that.

No, he doesn't have killer "stuff" - he's got an unorthodox delivery and never really got an opportunity in his career to close - but take a good look at his career numbers.

In a little over 6 seasons and a total of 321.2 IP entering last night, O'Day has earned the following rate stats:

ERA+ 173

WHIP 1.054

H/9 7.2

K/BB 3.46

Among the top 500 relief pitchers in history by the JAWS system... O'Day is 8th in ERA+. The top ten:

1) Craig Kimbrel (273) - 239.2 IP

2) Mariano Rivera (205) - 1283.2 IP

3) Billy Wagner (187) - 903.0 IP

4) Takashi Saito (185) - 338.0 IP

5) Jonathan Papelbon (184) - 574.1 IP

6) Koji Uehara (183) - 300.2 IP

7) Brad Ziegler (174) - 411.2 IP

8) Darren O'Day (173) - 321.2 IP

9) Joakim Soria (172) - 351.0 IP

10) Greg Holland (172) - 225.2 IP

Note that many of these pitchers like O'Day are active, and may have their rate stats drop as they age. Still, that's an impressive list. It accounts for 32 All-Star game appearances and counting... sadly, O'Day has zero. Because he doesn't close.

The point is, relief pitching is a volatile market as we know. O'Day has been really really good 4 of his last 5 seasons (his worst being his rookie season) and he's picked up where he left off so far in 2014 (knock on wood).

Last night O'Day tied his personal record with his second save of the year. I think the team should continue to use him in a spot closers' role so Tommy Hunter doesn't wear his arm and/or mind down like Jim Johnson did.

LINK to JAWS ratings page

He's a rock.

Top it off with the fact he is a very very likable guy.

The prank he pulled on Buck that time with the segway was hilarious. Anytime you get a guy like that who also outperforms his salary....you count your blessings.

Top it off with the fact he is a very very likable guy.

The prank he pulled on Buck that time with the segway was hilarious. Anytime you get a guy like that who also outperforms his salary....you count your blessings.

well technically the other way around but you know what i mean...still funny

O'Day is a guy myself, Mr. Snufalupagus, AO and others sang the O'Day song to when he got off the bus after the loss in NY in '12 playoff game.

U

BTW, he remembered and appreciated it!

Sign him up!!!

The guys directly behind me were signing it loud and strong throughout the 9th inning last night. He may be underrated but he's not "unsung."

O'Day is a guy myself, Mr. Snufalupagus, AO and others sang the O'Day song to when he got off the bus after the loss in NY in '12 playoff game.

Sign him up!!!

Man, that was a fun night!

By the way, I was looking for that thread a few days ago and couldn't find it. Can someone post a link?

I think O'Day is one of the more underrated players in Oriole history. As dependable as relievers come. Striking out the last two hitters last night, with runners on 1st and 2nd, was massive. His second inning, too.

We're lucky to have him out there.

Sign him up!!!

The video of that encounter provides one of my favorite memories of the 2012 season, in part because until the tail end of that season I thought O'Day was under-appreciated by everyone except me.

O'Day's pitching motion looks (to me) more natural and less stressful than the standard over-the-top delivery. (I wouldn't say that about Bradford; he seemed to me to have his arm do all the work and get nothing from his body.) I wonder whether that's true, and if so what it says about O'Day's ability to maintain a high level of performance and avoid career-ending injury.

Archived