Strasburg on O's fans in DC: "Well, maybe someday it'll be different."

notfast

[video=youtube;KKQY7LPqxDI]

"Well, maybe someday it'll be different. But obviously that franchise has been a lot longer than we have. Can't really worry about it too much. Hopefully our fans travel well after tomorrow."

I remember when it was our players saying similar things in the not so distance past.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is a Nats fan? Honest question.

There are plenty of devoted Nats fans. Trust me, I live here and I talk to them every day. But let's be honest, it's a white collar crowd and their fans are simply not that demonstrative, and they haven't had 60 years to build a fan base. An Orioles crowd is much more fun and into the game, but I don't think Orioles fans should look down their noses at Nats fans.

There are plenty of devoted Nats fans. Trust me, I live here and I talk to them every day. But let's be honest, it's a white collar crowd and their fans are simply not that demonstrative, and they haven't had 60 years to build a fan base. An Orioles crowd is much more fun and into the game, but I don't think Orioles fans should look down their noses at Nats fans.

You have convinced me to feel this way. I thought Strasburg had a good take on it.

Amen. I like that there is so much Orange on the Metro and in the stadium, but no need to act like Yankees or Red Sox fans (not calling you out dan-O, I just mean in general).

But O's fans should feel good about going down there and representing. We've had enough of that in Camden Yards over the years, it's nice to not be on the receiving end for once.

A lot of us in orange last night didn't come down from anywhere. We grew up O's fans in the DC suburbs and stuck with them.

A lot of us in orange last night didn't come down from anywhere. We grew up O's fans in the DC suburbs and stuck with them.

I have been trying to tell everyone this. Not all D.C. NoVa Orioles fans defected. We have a lot of them here. Some met Brooks Robinson and loved Cal.

What is a Nats fan? Honest question.

Great question. This is something that always bothered me. I have no issue with young Nats fans. It is the fans in their 30's-50's that bother me. They are not old enough to claim they were a fan of the previous DC franchise. This means they had to be fans of another team for 20-40 years and just decided one day to drop their loyalty to that team and become a Nats fan. I just do not relate to that way of thinking. I have been an O's fan all my life and will be until the day I die. I don't care if a team moved into my backyard.

I just wrote a little thing about this:

It will take a decade or two for the Nats to really build something there. The Orioles have 60 years of ingrained fanbase to build off of. The Nats need a combination of time and biology to start getting the needle to shift. Moreover, the Nats cater to the DC yuppie-crowd, at least that is the perception (Last night I saw an ad on the scoreboard: Lexus, the official luxury car of the Washington Nationals). the fact that those Diamond club seats, right behind home plate, never seem to be full. They are carpetbaggers, poseurs.

They need time to build a history, a culture in DC - its not there yet. The ballpark is surrounded by parking garages and shipping containers, the skyline is bland and unimpressive. The park itself has been likened to a mall - sterile and unimaginative.

The Nats are great, they are here to stay, but until they find their own history, their own culture the Orioles will continue to dominate.

And also, let's face fact: Baltimore is a town that simply BATHES in the perceived inferiority to its neighbor to the Southwest, they might have the nightlife, museums, and concert venues - but we beat them at baseball. It is the one thing that where Baltimore is demonstrably better off.

This is what I think, too. I tweeted to Adam Kilgore re: the line in his article that said something like, "some fans floated to their cars and back up I-95", as if all the O's fans there last night lived in Baltimore. I'm sure the vast majority live in the DC suburbs.

This is what I think, too. I tweeted to Adam Kilgore re: the line in his article that said something like, "some fans floated to their cars and back up I-95", as if all the O's fans there last night lived in Baltimore. I'm sure the vast majority live in the DC suburbs.

Yeah, Kilgore should jump on the Metro and see what's up.

Comparing O's fans in DC to Baltimore being labeled "Fenway South" and filling up with Sox and Yankees fans is completely different. Like Strasburg said, the O's were the only team in this region for a LONG time, and even though they were so bad when the Nats moved in, the Nats were terrible, too, so it's not like there was some easy transition to a winning team for lots of existing O's fans to make. A lot of us stuck with our team and continued to cheer for the O's while being somewhat indifferent towards the Nats. Now, a lot of Nats fans bug me, but not like Sox and MFY fans. Nats fans are purely trend fans from trendy Northern Virginia and DC. Not nearly the same passion, IMO. But that's not surprising, really. I mean, how quickly can you really become emotionally invested in a team?

Maybe someday it WILL be different, but I think it's going to be like this for a while still.

You gotta think, a huge portion of "Birdland" is DC suburbs. DC borders Maryland, too. Kilgore mad a cheap argument.

Great question. This is something that always bothered me. I have no issue with young Nats fans. It is the fans in their 30's-50's that bother me. They are not old enough to claim they were a fan of the previous DC franchise. This means they had to be fans of another team for 20-40 years and just decided one day to drop their loyalty to that team and become a Nats fan. I just do not relate to that way of thinking. I have been an O's fan all my life and will be until the day I die. I don't care if a team moved into my backyard.

Exactly how I feel. I live in Arizona and always wondered who these older Diamondbacks fans are. Were they once fans of another team and abondoned that team for the new local team? Seems sort of pathetic to me. Or, were they just not a fan of any team until the Diamondbacks arrived? If that's the case, and you're that old, how can you be such a big fan now. Odd.

Last night, a Facebook friend, who grew up down the street from me in the northern Baltimore suburbs and now lives in the DC area, said, "We're finally on the board!" after Rendon's homer. I wrote, "Tell me you're not a Nats fan now!" He said he got tired of rooting for the Angelos O's and made a fresh start with the Nats. Needless to say all of his Baltimore friends pilloried him, and rightfully so. This guy is probably 36, by the way. I could never abandon my team, through thick or thin. The evidence supports this, as I never went anywhere when they were awful and in fact bought season tickets during the down years! I'll never get people who can just change loyalties on a dime.

Archived