Flaherty will get you nowhere?

BarclaySouthway

I thought that with his excellent showing during Manny's absence, Ryan might get a start in one of these first two games against the Nats. Lefty on the hill tomorrow, so it'll be Schoop again.

Buck's not the greatest at maximizing his 25 guys, as we know, and I think his failure to get Flaherty in Monday or Wednesday is an example of that. Flaherty's hot; Jonathan's not. I don't think it will wreck Schoop's development, or self-esteem or whatever to play the hot hand for a couple games (vs. RHP) and see what happens.

I'm not one of those guys that thinks that Flaherty would be Bobby Grich 2.0 if he got 500 ABs. But he can be very productive in stretches, and I felt like we were in one of those stretches. Oh well.

Interesting little stat: Flaherty's career OPS, June - Oct. (308 AB): .798.

I thought that with his excellent showing during Manny's absence, Ryan might get a start in one of these first two games against the Nats. Lefty on the hill tomorrow, so it'll be Schoop again.

Buck's not the greatest at maximizing his 25 guys, as we know, and I think his failure to get Flaherty in Monday or Wednesday is an example of that. Flaherty's hot; Jonathan's not. I don't think it will wreck Schoop's development, or self-esteem or whatever to play the hot hand for a couple games (vs. RHP) and see what happens.

I'm not one of those guys that thinks that Flaherty would be Bobby Grich 2.0 if he got 500 ABs. But he can be very productive in stretches, and I felt like we were in one of those stretches. Oh well.

I think Buck knows what Flash can do. I think he is giving Schoop one last look.

I disagree with you, this team is 8 games over .500 and 2.5 in front of Toronto. Buck is getting the most that he can with the lineup he had. Give credit where credit is due.

Well maybe you are right.

I was listening to the radio the other night and they played an audio clip of Buck taking about Flash, and Buck was saying why he was such a Flash fan, he said it is very rare that a MLB player can play above average defense at three different positions like Flash can.

Schoop has one homer and four RBI's since May 26th. No RBI's in his last 14 games.

It's kind of hard when Cruz has been scoring all of them and Hardy hitting good infront of him as well.

And they are winning. No reason to take away the experience he is getting right now.

Also for a guy who could possibly be our everyday 2B next year, why would we only want him facing lefties. Then next year he wont be use to hitting righties and suck.

Is there some class in cherry picking stats you Flaherty supporters take?

His OPS is down from last year, his OPS+ is flat from last year, his defense is down from last year.

He's a utility guy.

Is there some class in cherry picking stats you Flaherty supporters take?

His OPS is down from last year, his OPS+ is flat from last year, his defense is down from last year.

He's a utility guy.

Only 538 career AB's, we don't know what he is .

It's 2295 AB. He's 27.

That's in the majors and minors. It's 538 career major league AB's. I guess I should have clarified that for you. But you keep "cherry picking" how poorly he's done in those 538 AB's and ignore the fact that his career minor league OBP .345 and OPS of .809. Like I said, 538 major league AB's are not enough to say whether he's an everyday major league player or not.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived