Koji Uehara linked to Orioles in MLBTraderumors.

weams

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have any objective basis for this opinion. Because one could produce a ton of evidence to the contrary.

Let's see. Koji has pitched 42.2 innings to an era of 1.27. Britton has pitched 46.1 innings to an era of 1.36. So, they seem to be about even. However, Koji is 39 years old, Britton is 27. Koji is experiencing arm issues. No big deal? Just give the 39 year old a few days off? I say no thank you. We don't need Britton to back up a 39 year old with arm issues, we need Britton to continue to develop into a stud closer. If you want to add to the pen, do it in a cheaper manner but getting a loogie.

Let's see. Koji has pitched 42.2 innings to an era of 1.27. Britton has pitched 46.1 innings to an era of 1.36. So, they seem to be about even. However, Koji is 39 years old, Britton is 27. Koji is experiencing arm issues. No big deal? Just give the 39 year old a few days off? I say no thank you. We don't need Britton to back up a 39 year old with arm issues, we need Britton to continue to develop into a stud closer. If you want to add to the pen, do it in a cheaper manner but getting a loogie.
That's a pretty lame argument. It fails to take note of the fact the Koji is an experienced closer who has an excellent track record and Britton is just beginning. I don't care about Koji's age, it doesn't seem to have any effect on his effectiveness. It really doesn't matter to me who closes, having both in the pen makes us a lot better. I'd like to win this year.

Uehara complained of having a dead arm about a week ago.

Having a dead arm right after spring training isn't a big deal at all.........but having a dead arm in mid July is a little more worrisome.

I wouldn't mind trading for koji, but I wouldn't give up a whole lot to get him.

Frankly I'd rather have Huston street or someone of that ilk, koji scares me with his age and recent arm problems.

Britton is.

You'd really give up anything valuable to bring in a guy to close, only to mess with a formula and chemistry that is working like a charm (city) right now? Britton seems like an ideal closer. I love him there, whether he, himself does or not- and I'm not sure Koji is as valuable as a set up man. He is mentally tough- andthat makes him great in the 9th. I guess the idea of Britton out of the pen is amazing- just not sure it's worth giving up much for.

An injury to Zach though, and let's do whatever to takes to get Koji back!

It fails to take note of the fact the Koji is an experienced closer who has an excellent track record and Britton is just beginning.
Britton seems like an ideal closer.

It's interesting/funny that literally two months ago the "ideal closer" had a career total of zero saves. And a little over three months ago he had four relief appearances on his professional resume.

Koji isn't as good as Britton. Personally, I'd keep our closer. If you want to add to the pen, get a lefty setup man who is lights out, can pitch ok to righties and can pitch more then one inning in a cruch

Koji is as good as Zach. He has a track record of closing in the post season as well.

It's interesting/funny that literally two months ago the "ideal closer" had a career total of zero saves. And a little over three months ago he had four relief appearances on his professional resume.

I was there in the Bronx that night. SSS.

You'd really give up anything valuable to bring in a guy to close, only to mess with a formula and chemistry that is working like a charm (city) right now? Britton seems like an ideal closer. I love him there, whether he, himself does or not- and I'm not sure Koji is as valuable as a set up man. He is mentally tough- andthat makes him great in the 9th. I guess the idea of Britton out of the pen is amazing- just not sure it's worth giving up much for.

An injury to Zach though, and let's do whatever to takes to get Koji back!

I would, but that's just me. Koji would be the closer. Not like the KRod fiasco of last season.

I was there in the Bronx that night. SSS.

What, when he blew that save? Everyone does that. I'm more concerned with Britton having the ability to pitch 3-4 days a week for months on end, and to have his sinker keep sinking the whole time.

Chien-Ming Wang once looked unhittable, he was the guy who supposedly broke the model by winning with 3 K/9 by getting ungodly numbers of grounders. Then he got hurt running the bases and never pitched well again. Britton himself looked like an up-and-coming starter, then one little injury, a tiny mechanical tweak, and it took years and a role change to get it back.

You can cross your fingers and hope, but never pencil in the next five or ten years based on 40 innings.

What, when he blew that save? Everyone does that. I'm more concerned with Britton having the ability to pitch 3-4 days a week for months on end, and to have his sinker keep sinking the whole time.

Chien-Ming Wang once looked unhittable, he was the guy who supposedly broke the model by winning with 3 K/9 by getting ungodly numbers of grounders. Then he got hurt running the bases and never pitched well again. Britton himself looked like an up-and-coming starter, then one little injury, a tiny mechanical tweak, and it took years and a role change to get it back.

You can cross your fingers and hope, but never pencil in the next five or ten years based on 40 innings.

That is what I meant. Sometimes, the sinker doesn't sink. I'm scared of it actually. And yes, all closers blow saves.

A few questions:

1. Who cares if Britton > Koji or not? Isn't the relevant question is the bullpen better with Koji closing and Britton setting him up?

2. Assuming the O's actually have interest in Koji, would they ever try to expand the deal to bring back someone like Peavy too? (Im not saying that is smart or un-smart)

3. Are there other 8th/9th inning relievers on selling teams that would still improve the bullpen without having to deal inside the division?

4. Does anyone know where my car keys are?

Archived