Roberts first game back at OPACY - Applaud or Boo?

FlipCup

So Adam Jones made me curious with his twitter post...

<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I believe that
#Birdland
will give
@1brianroberts
the credit he's due. Man have his all to the
@Orioles
. I know ur the oppo now but respect
? 10 (@SimplyAJ10)
July 11, 2014

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What would you do if you were at the game tonight?

Why should/would anyone boo him?

<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been through this debate before, and I understand that Tony has WAY more info than I do. I respect his (and your) opinion immensly and am not about to start that debate again. I did not want Roberts back, and yeah, the last 4 years sucked, but that doesn't mean I can't cheer the man for his accomplishments as an Oriole. Whatever he has done behind the scenes, whether he was offered something and chose not to come, whether he is a grade A jerk, that all could very well be true, but I've rooted for worse than that when they had an Orioles jersey on, so no reason not to give BRob an ovation for his return.

I'm not saying I'm rooting for the guy to do anything positive from here on out, I would just be giving him a brief acknowledgement that he was once one of us.

You applaud him for what he did, what he meant to the team while he was here. It's called respect! It's called being appreciative.

All I have to say is players know how fans feel about this stuff.

Redsox didnt cheer Johnny Damon.or.Ellsbury upon return even though they were way better abd more productive for their team more than BRob...Hell those guys even won rings with those.teams.

Sox fans dont cheer the rivals even if they were a big part of them winnign because they understand what rivalry means.

That's why the Yanks will always be superior to the Os because fans who want to cheer for or applaaud rivals.

I'm not one. Im like most ppl here. Wouldn't boo but for damn sure am nit cheering or giving a standing O.

Do you know that he did not ask for a multi year deal at more money than he took? Or did he have his second base family outing because he was convinced that the Orioles would need him, bu that he would leave for more money, because he already knew that he did not want to stay on the Orioles terms?

The Oriole clubhouse after Davey was fired, had lost allot of faith in the owner, and there was mistrust plenty.

I've been through this debate before, and I understand that Tony has WAY more info than I do. I respect his (and your) opinion immensly and am not about to start that debate again. I did not want Roberts back, and yeah, the last 4 years sucked, but that doesn't mean I can't cheer the man for his accomplishments as an Oriole. Whatever he has done behind the scenes, whether he was offered something and chose not to come, whether he is a grade A jerk, that all could very well be true, but I've rooted for worse than that when they had an Orioles jersey on, so no reason not to give BRob an ovation for his return.

I'm not saying I'm rooting for the guy to do anything positive from here on out, I would just be giving him a brief acknowledgement that he was once one of us.

I'm with you brother man. I would not boo him in Baltimore. I already did that in the Bronx. You know, when those creepy bleacher creatures did the BRI-AN ROB-ERTS chant.

I'm with you brother man. I would not boo him in Baltimore. I already did that in the Bronx. You know, when those creepy bleacher creatures did the BRI-AN ROB-ERTS chant.

I'd say that felt dirty for them, too, given how well Roberts seemed to hit against the Yanks during his tenure here... but most Bleacher Creatures wouldn't be that self-aware.

In any event, Moose was wanted back by the Orioles but instead became a Yankee. BRob had his last moment with the Orioles fans his final game of 2013, and was not wanted back by Duquette and company. Why boo the man for wanting to continue his career and signing with the only team willing to pay him?

Yep, I have no problem with Roberts being a Yankee. I'm just glad he's not an Oriole anymore. Completely different scenario than Mu$$ina.

You applaud him for what he did, what he meant to the team while he was here. It's called respect! It's called being appreciative.

Me, I don't appreciate the way he rushed himself back in 2012. He was trying his best but was a tremendous hindrance to the team when he was on the field. To me it was a clear case of putting himself before the team.

Unfortunately that event overshadows his time as one of the better players on a series of bad team.

All I have to say is players know how fans feel about this stuff.

Redsox didnt cheer Johnny Damon.or.Ellsbury upon return even though they were way better abd more productive for their team more than BRob...Hell those guys even won rings with those.teams.

Sox fans dont cheer the rivals even if they were a big part of them winnign because they understand what rivalry means.

That's why the Yanks will always be superior to the Os because fans who want to cheer for or applaaud rivals.

I'm not one. Im like most ppl here. Wouldn't boo but for damn sure am nit cheering or giving a standing O.

Just because Yankees and Red Sox fans are classless does not mean Orioles fans should follow suit.

The bolded part above is so ridiculous I cannot even comment. Go back and watch Cal Ripken's final series in NY and tell me how the fans treated him...an enemy for 21 years!

Me, I don't appreciate the way he rushed himself back in 2012. He was trying his best but was a tremendous hindrance to the team when he was on the field. To me it was a clear case of putting himself before the team.

Unfortunately that event overshadows his time as one of the better players on a series of bad team.

He didn't write his own name on the lineup card.

Buck was responsible for that.

So why are you blaming the player?

Im sorry but I dont see any reason to applaud him for what he DID when.he was being cheered for.madly at the time he was doing it.

I dont think BRob will cry or feel unappreciated by the Os fan base if.he didn't get a standing O.

Also there are a lot of players who are unappreciative to fans who spend the.time and money to watch them.

Not from Bmore and dont get a lot of news from there so I dont know how mich he gave back to the community. But when I went to Os games I.rarely seen Brob signing autos.

This. Or maybe a brief golf clap to acknowledge his long time Orioleness. Then it's on to the Brian Roberts, Yankee, era where you just reflexively boo their every move.

We can give him a big ovation in a few years when he's inducted into the Oriole HOF and he's not wearing pinstripes.

All of this is spot on.

It's not like the guy left at the pinnacle of his career to go there. Essentially the O's washed their hands of him and he end up in the Yank's hands.

I see zero reason to boo him. Not sure if there's much reason to give him a standing ovation, either. Maybe just some polite applause.

By the way, I have no problem if people want to cheer him during his first at bat. That's their right and Roberts did have some nice years with the Orioles. The Orioles never offered him a contract (thank goodness) and he choose to continue his career. the fact that the Yankees happened to be the team desperate for a 2B is irrelevant to me.

Archived