Per 105.7 Ubaldo Headed to DL with "sprained ankle" (Gausman recalled)

ExileAngelos

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two rings.

Are you saying that you would bad mouth any O's signing if it helped bring home two titles?

Uh...define "helped." The Giants won the WS in 2010 and 2012.

Zito was 9-14 with a 4.15 ERA (4.25 FIP and 4.58 xFIP) in 2010, and he was worth 1.7 fWAR and 1.5 rWAR that year. He was paid $18.5 million that season. He did not pitch in the postseason for the Giants.

In 2012, Zito was 15-8 with a 4.15 ERA (4.49 FIP and 4.92 xFIP), and he was worth 0.8 fWAR and 0.2 rWAR that year. He was paid $19.0 million that season. He pitched in three games in the 2012 postseason, getting shelled in the first (though the Giants won anyway), and very well in the final two (one in the NLCS, and one in the WS).

$37.5 million in two "ring" years for a guy who provided, with the most friendly reading, 2.5 WAR between those two seasons? Yeah, I'd trash that contract pretty hard.

Uh...define "helped." The Giants won the WS in 2010 and 2012.

Zito was 9-14 with a 4.15 ERA (4.25 FIP and 4.58 xFIP) in 2010, and he was worth 1.7 fWAR and 1.5 rWAR that year. He was paid $18.5 million that season. He did not pitch in the postseason for the Giants.

In 2012, Zito was 15-8 with a 4.15 ERA (4.49 FIP and 4.92 xFIP), and he was worth 0.8 fWAR and 0.2 rWAR that year. He was paid $19.0 million that season. He pitched in three games in the 2012 postseason, getting shelled in the first (though the Giants won anyway), and very well in the final two (one in the NLCS, and one in the WS).

$37.5 million in two "ring" years for a guy who provided, with the most friendly reading, 2.5 WAR between those two seasons? Yeah, I'd trash that contract pretty hard.

Wasn't asking you. Weams is older and would suffer more for a title. :P

He still sucked down innings, he was still part of those teams. If you remove him from those rosters and put in a replacement level guy it is entirely possible, in the real world, they don't get either ring.

I will gladly let ownership pay that contract if it comes with two rings.

Wasn't asking you. Weams is older and would suffer more for a title. :P

He still sucked down innings, he was still part of those teams. If you remove him from those rosters and put in a replacement level guy it is entirely possible, in the real world, they don't get either ring.

I will gladly let ownership pay that contract if it comes with two rings.

Yeah...but in 2010, there were 74 other starters in MLB who were as valuable or moreso than Zito, and he was intentionally left off the playoff roster. In 2012, Zito was 81st out of 88 qualifying starters in terms of WAR according to fangraphs. And I'd wager the majority of pitchers ahead of him weren't making almost $20 million per season.

The Giants won, so Giants fans are probably not going to lament the contract, but I wouldn't give Zito much credit for actually helping them win. Pretty terrible deal, rings or no.

Yeah...but in 2010, there were 74 other starters in MLB who were as valuable or moreso than Zito, and he was intentionally left off the playoff roster. In 2012, Zito was 81st out of 88 qualifying starters in terms of WAR according to fangraphs. And I'd wager the majority of pitchers ahead of him weren't making almost $20 million per season.

The Giants won, so Giants fans are probably not going to lament the contract, but I wouldn't give Zito much credit for actually helping them win. Pretty terrible deal, rings or no.

I thought it was a terrible deal when he signed it and he certainly didn't perform up to it.

MASNSteve

"I don't think it's going to take a long time," he said this afternoon. "If I were to tape it, I probably could pitch today, but I wouldn't know how it was going to be after the game. That is why they don't want me out there putting too much pressure on it, but it's not going to take a long time."

Jimenez rolled his ankle in a parking lot on Wednesday. He was slated to pitch today, but now is headed for the DL and more ice treatments to reduce the swelling.

"I just twisted my ankle," he said. "I was walking and I didn't pay attention to where I was going. My foot just slipped right out of my sandal and it twisted."

Jimenez was asked if he knew right away his injury would send him to the DL.

"Not really," he said. "It didn't feel that bad, but I threw a bullpen and put a lot of pressure on it. When I woke up yesterday morning I was like, 'Uh oh. This is going to be bad.' It hurt a lot and was swollen yesterday."

Jimenez missed some time with an ankle injury during the 2012 season.

"Yeah, but it's not the same kind of injury," he said. "Before, I hurt it pitching off the mound. It is just one of those things that happens. It could happen to any regular person and it probably wouldn't be a big thing, but I'm a pitcher and I have to use my foot. Especially that foot.

"It's crazy. I've never been on the DL because of my arm, elbow or anything like that. Only been on the DL for small injuries like my ankle or finger. Could happen to anyone."

The worst contracts were the ones the Rockies singned to try and get a pitcher. Mike Hampton signed a huge contract and put up an ERA near 6 for the two seasons he was there. They then had to eat a ton of his contract just to get him to pitch somehwere else. Then they signed Denny Neagle to 4 years around 35 million and he pitched to an ERA of close to 6 for three years and missed all of the final year.

Archived