Is Chris Davis going to hit in the 5 hole regardless the rest of the season? Why?

Specman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 RBI in his last 5 games an 14 in his last 23. That's a pretty good pace for a guy who's not hitting much.

I think he's getting closer to being right than he has been for a while. There have been some ABs where he hasn't looked totally out of control. One day in the next 7 he's going to start hitting the ball hard to left field. That will be the first sign that his turnaround has begun.

If he gets it together by August 15 and stays hot through the playoffs, we'll all be happy to have him in the middle of the lineup.

Like I said.

I really don't understand how the educated people here get so excited whenever Chris Davis hits a home run this year and think he is about to break loose. Occasionally, the ball hits the bat and he has enough power to put it out.

The 2014 version of Chris Davis is a lousy hitter that can't make contact on even mistake pitches. He gets his fair share of walks, but that may diminish if teams decide to pitch to him. I understand the importance of OBP and how the shift has caused him to make some hard hit outs, but I don't understand how a player does not use the left side of the infield, when it's given to him night after night. It would improve his OBP and may eventually balance the fielding positions.

I am sure he is frustrated. He seems like a good guy, team mate, etc. It would be great to have him have a hot streak, but it doesn't look promising. I am curious to find out if the O's will make a serious attempt to extend him and for how long. This season has certainly cost him some money unless he puts it together.

I really don't understand how the educated people here get so excited whenever Chris Davis hits a home run this year and think he is about to break loose. Occasionally, the ball hits the bat and he has enough power to put it out.

The 2014 version of Chris Davis is a lousy hitter that can't make contact on even mistake pitches. He gets his fair share of walks, but that may diminish if teams decide to pitch to him. I understand the importance of OBP and how the shift has caused him to make some hard hit outs, but I don't understand how a player does not use the left side of the infield, when it's given to him night after night. It would improve his OBP and may eventually balance the fielding positions.

I am sure he is frustrated. He seems like a good guy, team mate, etc. It would be great to have him have a hot streak, but it doesn't look promising. I am curious to find out if the O's will make a serious attempt to extend him and for how long. This season has certainly cost him some money unless he puts it together.

OPs -

Last 28 days: .521

Last 14 days: .676

Last 7 days: .853

Notice a trend? Maybe he is coming around.

With Cruz and Pearce cooling off, it would really be helpful if Chris got back on track. But I just want to remind people that he is, somehow, supplying a lot of what a power hitter is supposed to: going into last night's game, he was only one homer and 9 RBI's behind Adam Jones, who is having a very good year. His OBP is up to .311, which I assume creates RBI opp's for Hardy and Machado, both of whom are hitting well. In fact, since those two are, I wdn't be opposed to raising them in the lineup and batting Davis 6th or 7th. But it's a minor point and Buck, I'm sure, has the better read on what that'd do to Chris's psychology and approach and how the batters before and after him are pitched to.

While watching today's game they had an interesting stat on Davis. He has now struck out in 16 straight games. Why is he still getting a pass from the fans and the Baltimore media? He just looks clueless a majority of the time which cannot be denied by anyone. His MO is has been to strike out or hit directly into the shift.

Unfortunately professional sports is a "what have you done for me lately" business and Davis is still living off of last season. That was then and now is a .200 BA.

While watching today's game they had an interesting stat on Davis. He has now struck out in 16 straight games. Why is he still getting a pass from the fans and the Baltimore media? He just looks clueless a majority of the time which cannot be denied by anyone. His MO is has been to strike out or hit directly into the shift.

Unfortunately professional sports is a "what have you done for me lately" business and Davis is still living off of last season. That was then and now is a .200 BA.

I don't understand what you mean by getting a pass. Yeah he is struggling and striking out too much. Should we burn a cross in his yard? Nobody is saying he is having a good year, but it isn't like the Orioles have a better option at first right now. He hit a homer in the 10th the other night to win the game. He is essentially a league average first baseman and is being paid like one. I don't know what you want everyone to do about it.

I don't understand what you mean by getting a pass. Yeah he is struggling and striking out too much. Should we burn a cross in his yard? Nobody is saying he is having a good year, but it isn't like the Orioles have a better option at first right now. He hit a homer in the 10th the other night to win the game. He is essentially a league average first baseman and is being paid like one. I don't know what you want everyone to do about it.

Davis is currently 24th in fWAR out of 29 first basemen in MLB with at least 250 PAs. The only players he's ahead of are Garrett Jones, Ryan Howard, Eric Hosmer, Justin Smoak, and Nick Swisher. He's just behind Ike Davis on the list.

Archived