Is Chris Davis going to hit in the 5 hole regardless the rest of the season? Why?

Specman

If he doesn't have one of his 10-day beast mode outbursts, he won't get there. But 30 HRs and 85 RBI is within reach. Again... not so bad. The .199 stinks though. I'd love it if he could figure out a way to end the season over .220, but that also relies on a hot streak, and moreover, it's the Ks that frustrate me most.

It won't take much of a hotstreak to get him to .220 :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you don't have to worry about him tonight scratched due to illness FLU like symptoms per Roch

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/07/davis-out-of-lineup-due-to-illness.html

Chris "The Whiff" Davis has been suffering from a bad case of "icanthititis" all year. And it definitely seems to be contagious because almost half the starting lineup seems to be infected. Maybe 3 or 4 days off will give Davis and everyone else a chance to recover.

You have to keep playing him and hope he picks it up. If he gets it going the rest of the season it makes them that much more of a contender in the AL. It's a pretty similar situation to Carlos Santana, except Santana went through his struggles at the start of the season. In the first 2 months of the season he had a .630 OPS. He has had an OPS over 1.000 in each of the past 2 months and has had a terrific game tonight. He hasn't been nearly as good as Davis the past 2 seasons either. You have to hope he figures is it out soon, as he should, because there is a bigger gap in how good the team with good CD vs. Pearce/Young than bad CD vs. Pearce/Young, if that makes sense!

That post is extremely informative, and almost sounds hopeful. Having watched almost every one of Davis' ABs this year, though, I am not so hopeful. His swing is a disaster right now, and he looks like he's guessing (incorrectly) on almost every pitch.

As confident and good as he has looked the past two years prior to this one, he looks equally lost right now. I think a lot of it is mental. Hoping they can get him back on track. To have a real shot at a WS we cant have 1/3 of our lineup hitting .200 and expect our starters to carry us the way they have.

If they can get Davis rolling somehow then Scoop/Flaherty and Joseph/Hundley lack of offensive prowess is far less the problem it seems now.

Wish I could give you more rep. That's an amazing article.

But also puts into question Buck's ability to manage a lineup properly.

This article about Davis struggling against offspeed pitches calls into question Buck's ability to properly manage a lineup?

I didn't get to watch the game tonight. I was at work. Any difference in his plate appearances batting 7th vs. 5th?

I think he did a much better job working counts tonight. Still has a ways to go to get out of the funk but I think having him in the seven spot may help with that since he

did seem a little more relaxed.

Archived