Orioles will be watching Ian Kennedy tonight.

Greg

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I said before, nice work bringing the stats.

I'm one of those types that differentiate between a #1 and an Ace and I don't think Kennedy fits on the "climb on my back boys, I got this" group.

As you have shown, he has had a fine year so far.

I respect your opinion. Obviously he's not a clear cut ace. But just because he's not a top 10 starter in the MLB doesn't mean he wouldn't help the team tremendously. He may not be a clear cut ace, but he'd be this teams ace in all likelihood (maybe Gausman) so I still think he'd be a great get.

Yes. But not this season. His strikeouts and ground balls are up and his walks are down. In the last 5 seasons he's pitched like a 1 or 2 twice, high end 3 or 4 twice, and a 5 starter once. Also, this team has a chance at the division. Don't you think its worth it to acquire him, even if he may pitch like a 3 or 4 next season, but pitch like a TOR starter the rest of this season?

But last year. Wasn't that Ubaldo?

I don't get it.

Kennedy is alright but he pitches in Petco freaking park.

Coming to the AL east and facing a DH plus pitching in Camden yards sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If were gonna go all in, overpay for price or sale......don't half ass it and get yet another number 3 or 4 type pitcher. We have enough of those already.

If we want to win it all, overpay for an ace.

Their is no Ace available to the Orioles.

You posted this before. I posted Ubaldo's rankings in k/9, FIP, xFIP, and WAR. Kennedy has been a good deal better. I don't see your point though. Kennedy's career ERA is 3.97, FIP is 3.94, xFIP is 3.97, and SIERA is 3.88. He's having a good year this year and instead of being a good 3/4 like usual, has pitched like a good 1/2. Ubaldo has been one of the most inconsistent MLB starters, Kennedy has had 1 bad year out of 5. Ubaldo having a poor year has no correlation to Kennedy. I sure would have taken the good Ubaldo last season...

You posted this before. I posted Ubaldo's rankings in k/9, FIP, xFIP, and WAR. Kennedy has been a good deal better. I don't see your point though. Kennedy's career ERA is 3.97, FIP is 3.94, xFIP is 3.97, and SIERA is 3.88.

This. 3.97 career ERA in the NL translate to barely average in the AL East, and not really an upgrade over anybody we already have. Possibly an upgrade over "bad Ubaldo" but about in line with Ubaldo's career stats. I agree with the "Price or stay put". He is the only guy that gets a World Series championship.

This. 3.97 career ERA in the NL translate to barely average in the AL East, and not really an upgrade over anybody we already have. Possibly an upgrade over "bad Ubaldo" but about in line with Ubaldo's career stats. I agree with the "Price or stay put". He is the only guy that gets a World Series championship.

That is what FIP and xFIP are for... In case you haven't noticed this isn't your typical AL East either... Only Gausman and Norris have better ERA's than Kennedy's career ERA (Norris by .01 with terrible peripheals). Kennedy would immediately step in and be one of our top 3 pitchers.

Price or nothing is stupid. Kennedy would be a big upgrade.

You posted this before. I posted Ubaldo's rankings in k/9, FIP, xFIP, and WAR. Kennedy has been a good deal better. I don't see your point though. Kennedy's career ERA is 3.97, FIP is 3.94, xFIP is 3.97, and SIERA is 3.88. He's having a good year this year and instead of being a good 3/4 like usual, has pitched like a good 1/2. Ubaldo has been one of the most inconsistent MLB starters, Kennedy has had 1 bad year out of 5. Ubaldo having a poor year has no correlation to Kennedy. I sure would have taken the good Ubaldo last season...

Me too buddy. Me too.

So what's your point with Kennedy? You said we couldn't afford a true ace. Kennedy is probably the next best thing. He's pretty good and besides Gausman he could be our best pitcher.

I do not know that we will get the Ubaldo of last season out of Kennedy. It is much more of a crap shoot than you are purporting. That said. I might want to get him.

I do not know that we will get the Ubaldo of last season out of Kennedy. It is much more of a crap shoot than you are purporting. That said. I might want to get him.

Ubaldo was very inconsistent though. He was really bad in the first half and incredible in the 2nd half. Kennedy doesn't need to have a sub 2 ERA like 2nd half Ubaldo, what he's doing right now is just fine and not unreasonable to expect from him. His peripheals suggest he is actually pitching much better than his 3.60 ERA. Anything from a 3.80-4.00 ERA would be underwhelming considering his first half performance but still an upgrade to our rotation.

Ubaldo was very inconsistent though. He was really bad in the first half and incredible in the 2nd half. Kennedy doesn't need to have a sub 2 ERA like 2nd half Ubaldo, what he's doing right now is just fine and not unreasonable to expect from him. His peripheals suggest he is actually pitching much better than his 3.60 ERA. Anything from a 3.80-4.00 ERA would be underwhelming considering his first half performance but still an upgrade to our rotation.

What is the translation rate for ERA from NL to AL? 1.23? 1.25?

Yeah this is impossible to consider until we know what the potential price is. He's a good get but if it takes Gausman or Bundy or anyone on the roster under 26 I don't think it's worth it. No idea what the Padres want.

What is the translation rate for ERA from NL to AL? 1.23? 1.25?

No clue. But the average NL ERA is .28 runs lower than the AL. Kennedy's FIP, xFIP, and SIERA suggest his ERA should be around 3.00. A .28 jump from there is still under 3.30. His current ERA is 3.59. A .28 jump from there is 3.87. Still a huge upgrade for the staff.

Archived