At the AS Break, O's pitching tied for 4th in AL Team ERA

mdbdotcom

Lets, see if I can break it down for you. Answer 2 questions:

1. Do you agree the the team that wins the first game of a playoff series enjoys a statistical aadvantage in that series?

2. Lets assume we have 2 theoretical teams. One with a no 1 TOR starter, 3 number 3 starters and one 4/5 starter. The other team with 5 number three starters. Everything else is "equal". Which team is more likely to win the series?

Yes, I agree with number I.

The better team is more likely to win. In a short series the team that can throw an ace has an advantage over one who doesn't.

But I still contend that that is just one of many factors, and you can't build a team a certain way to win playoff series. If you're going to go out and break the bank to acquire a TOR starter, do it because you want to win a lot of baseball games all year, not because it might increase your odds of winning a postseason series some small number of percentage points.

I don't think it's trivial or insignificant that teams with top-heavy pitching staffs haven't fared well in the postseason. It might (probably?) be luck, but having a couple aces clearly isn't enough to overcome a bunch of other factors.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I agree with number I.

The better team is more likely to win. In a short series the team that can throw an ace has an advantage over one who doesn't..

Thank you.

But I still contend that that is just one of many factors, and you can't build a team a certain way to win playoff series. If you're going to go out and break the bank to acquire a TOR starter, do it because you want to win a lot of baseball games all year, not because it might increase your odds of winning a postseason series some small number of percentage points

You dodged the parameters of the question.

Yes, there are multiple factors that can help you overcome an obstacle. You still have to overcome the obstacle. After losing out a couple years, I think that the bolded part is exactly what Beane did this year with Samardzija. Be interesting to see see how it works out for them with Gray and him at 1/2 this year. It is kind of a big deal to win the World Series (or even be in it). That is the ultimate goal, No?

Thank you.

Yes, there are multiple factors that can help you overcome an obstacle. You still have to overcome the obstacle. After losing out a couple years, I think that the bolded part is exactly what Beane did this year with Samardzija. Be interesting to see see how it works out for them with Gray and him at 1/2 this year. It is kind of a big deal to win the World Series (or even be in it). That is the ultimate goal, No?

For the fans? Sure

For the GM? Maybe

Of which the Samardzija deal might one day be an example of.

Because Beane did it isn't a good enough reason.

Give me a break. The reason was stated and is obvious. It's nice to be a playoff team but at some point you do want to take next step. Is there big risk there? Of course, but not some devastating risk either. .

Archived