Evaluate the Bedard trade

wildcard

OK, it appears like it will be done soon. Everything seems to be in line. Roch has moved on to Roberts. So what do you think of the trade? Who wins? Who loses?

The trade is Bedard for Adam Jones, reliever George Sherrill and pitching prospects Chris Tillman, Tony Butler and Kam Mickolio. The O's probably waive Roberson to make room for Sherrill.

My opinion is that over the next 4 years the Mariners won, after that it is anyones guess.

For the next 4 years the trade at the major league level is Bedard for Jones, Sherrill, and maybe Mickolio. Barring injury which could happen on either side of this trade, the Mariners got the guy that is likely to perform the best.

Bulter and Tilman will likely spend three more years in the minors and a rookie year in the majors before their performance turns into a positive at the major league level. Penn, Olson, Albers, Hoey; their first appearances at the major league level were not pretty. I expect Tillman and Butler to has similar starts to their careers. Then, hopefully they will have very good majors league careers.

MacPhail did not get Morrow or Clement or Balentien. They would all have supplied more, sooner at the major league level. The Cinny trade might be as good or better without Bruce. Jones should be a very good player.

So, I think the Mariners win until 2012, then there is the chance the O's may win. It will be a long, long time before this trade can be fully evaluated.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, it appears like it will be done soon. Everything seems to be in line. Roch has moved on to Roberts. So what do you think of the trade? Who wins? Who loses?

The trade is Bedard for Adam Jones, reliever George Sherrill and pitching prospects Chris Tillman, Tony Butler and Kam Mickolio. The O's probably waive Roberson to make room for Sherrill.

My opinion is that over the next 4 years the Mariners won, after that it is anyones guess.

For the next 4 years the trade at the major league level is Bedard for Jones, Sherrill, and maybe Mickolio. Barring injury which could happen on either side of this trade, the Mariners got the guy that is likely to perform the best.

Bulter and Tilman will likely spend three more years in the minors and a rookie year in the majors before their performance turns into a positive at the major league level. Penn, Olson, Albers, Hoey; their first appearances at the major league level were not pretty. I expect Tillman and Butler to has similar starts to their careers. Then, hopefully they will have very good majors league careers.

MacPhail did not get Morrow or Clement or Balentien. They would all have supplied more, sooner at the major league level. The Cinny trade might be as good or better without Bruce. Jones should be a very good players.

So, I think the Mariner win until 2012, then there is the chance the O's may win. It will be a long, long time before this trade can be fully evaluated.

We all know that you are trying to give the deal the kiss of death with that line.;):D

I like the deal. It is time to move on.

How do the Mariners win over the next 4 years when they might only have Bedard for two? :confused:

I think both teams win. The Mariners traded two players who would have helped them this year but Jones is probably replaceable by someone like Balentien. The loss of Sherrill hurts them in the pen.

The O's get 3 high ceiling talents in Jones, Tillman, & Butler. If even one guy reaches that potential at a fairly young age they've broken even, IMO. Sherrill helps immediately and Mickolio could be a sleeper in the pen. In 5 players, the risk is spread out. In Bedard, the Mariners get one of the most talented pitchers in baseball, but the risk is there also.

The trade makes sense for both teams but it makes more sense for the Orioles. The O's win. Even a lot of Mariner fans don't think Bedard puts them into the playoffs.

The Mariners get Bedard for two years plus the opportunity to sign him long term. Considering that they will give up five minor league players they will probably make him a heck of an offer for him to stay.

Your question assumes that "winning" is some agreed upon definition, however, Baltimore and Seattle have two different agendas right now. We are faced with the choice of purgatory with our current stars or the potential for something better without. In that light the Bedard and BRob trades (assuming they go through and we get fair value in return) = "winning" for us. Meanwhile Seattle is trying to win a championship now so of course in the short term they're "winning" too.

Your definition appears to be immediate contributions to the major league ball club. So of course we're going to be losing at first, that's the whole point of rebuilding. We're going to be winning at the minor league levels. We're going to be cheaper with more payroll flexibility. We're going to be stockpiled with young arms, if enough of which turn out will give us a talented cheap young rotation and bullpen. Or, we can trade away from that depth to fill position needs.

Again, there is no winner or loser here, just two teams who've satisfied their particular agendas.

Sorry guys but at last check the trade hasn't been announced between last night at around midnight & now... Should I check ESPN ?

Anyway one of the insiders suggested that it was a 6 for 2.

And that you can remove 2 guys from Jones, Sherrill, Tillman, Butler,& Mikikos.

While I'd love to futher dig into this why not wait for the deal to be announced before we do?;)

Let me see if I get this straight. The M's get Bedard for 2 years (for sure), with the "possibility" of signing him for more. But, there is also the "possibility" that they don't.

We get Adam Jones, who will be our starting CFer for years. He has the potential to be one of the leagues premier OFers. We get Sherrill, who may close for us right away. And, we get 3 very nice pitching prospects who could be contributing here in a few years. Years 3-4 of your predicted Mariners victory could conceivable be a battle between them having no one left from this deal and us having 4-5 men on our roster from it. I see absolutely no way that they win this deal.

Well, you know what's funny? The Mets gave up less to get Johann Santana and they have the oppurtunity to negotiate a new deal with him before the trade becomes official. The O's are getting a better deal with no negotiating window for the Mariners. So good luck Mariners in two years.

I think they will make a push to sign him soon. He has the risk of injury on his side until he signs long term. He could sign by middle season. It does not appear that the O's tried that hard to sign him.

The Mariners get Bedard for two years plus the opportunity to sign him long term. Considering that they will give up five minor league players they will probably make him a heck of an offer for him to stay.

And if they're paying that kind of money when you're receiving Jones' production for close to league minimum, they still aren't winning those years.

I may have misread but I think Bigbird was suggesting a BRob to Cubs trade could be a 6 or 2 deal, not the Mariners trade.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belkast View Post

Hopefully mid to late afternoon.

Is it the 5 for 1 that we are all hearing?

Originally Posted by Belkast View Post

Hopefully mid to late afternoon.

Is the trade bigger than a bread box? a Dominican or a Cuban? will O's fans be happy/surprised and M's fans sad?

Originally Posted by JoeOrsulak View Post

Is it the 5 for 1 that we are all hearing?

There were some rumblings of a 6-2 deal recently. Also, don't count your Pie before it's baked.

The Last is BB last post answering Joe O's question about the 5 for 1 :cool:

Archived