SBNATION: Why Ex-Oriole Bobby Grich will never make the HOF (+ why Jeter should not be first ballot)

weams

Brooks had 11 seasons where he OPS'd under .700. That probably hurt his team. But the totality of his game, and Jeter's, was a net positive in a fairly big way despite their shortcomings.

I can see your point. So Jeter is about as good as Brooks? WAR says Brooks was a bit better. But I see your point.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brooks had 11 seasons where he OPS'd under .700. That probably hurt his team. But the totality of his game, and Jeter's, was a net positive in a fairly big way despite their shortcomings.

Not going to be popular on OH, and don't shoot the messenger you all.

But, I read recently, that Palmer had the lowest K ratio of pitchers in the HOF and that he was extremely lucky to have played so many games in front of Books, Balenger Johnson/Grich and Powell with Blair in CF helped him win more games. Of course, it was a writer's opinion.

But, the fact remains, sometimes the players around you, does make you better.

It's the Hall of FAME. In that regard, Grich barely makes a ripple, much less a splash. Your average MLB fan under the age of 50 has barely heard of Grich.

Jeter was a damned good player playing on the best team of his era. And he made some phenomenal plays in the postseason and was an amazing postseason hitter. He was the most popular player of his era and avoided getting arrested, caught taking PEDs, etc.

He would have looked pretty darn good in an O's uniform.

But, I read recently, that Palmer had the lowest K ratio of pitchers in the HOF and that he was extremely lucky to have played so many games in front of Books, Balenger Johnson/Grich and Powell with Blair in CF helped him win more games. Of course, it was a writer's opinion.

I can live with this as well. I watched Jim pitch. He was no Jose Fernandez. BTW, Jim could field his position as well.

I have read that the higher the leverage the higher Palmer's strikeout rate got. Palmer is the one actual example of someone pitching to contact.

It's the Hall of FAME. In that regard, Grich barely makes a ripple, much less a splash. Your average MLB fan under the age of 50 has barely heard of Grich.

If Fame is a primary critera then why does the Hall induct a long dead guy like Vic Willis or Deacon White every couple years? When Deacon White was inducted last year I'd bet I was the only regular poster here who had the slightest idea who he was. When they inducted former Oriole manager Ned Hanlon in '96 almost no one in Baltimore noticed, and that's where he managed three teams to Championships. Or even better, just a year or so ago they inducted a long dead umpire. Grich is vastly more famous and well-known than any of those guys.

Weams, I take a back seat to no one in my admiration of Bobby Grich, but you are insane over this issue. Jeter is in the top 10 of all time hits in baseball history.

He had been involved more heroic plays for the Yankees than many I can ever remember.He's been on 5 World Championship teams, and only twice in his 20 seasons did the Yankees NOT make the playoffs . 14 times and All star, and 5 Gold Gloves. You REALLY think Bobby is more deserving of the HOF THAN Jeter? Really?

WAR is a discussion for the mortals. Jeter is deified by the sportswriters for all the reasons you cited. He'll end up 6th all-time in hits. That's all the voters care about. Period.

NY had a player that in two extra season, had almost a hundred WAR more than Jeter. And he was not unanimous. He wore some rings as well. Heck, they would no even let him manage the team.

I wonder how long Giraldi could hold on if Jetes let it slip he wanted to manage?

Weams, I take a back seat to no one in my admiration of Bobby Grich, but you are insane over this issue. Jeter is in the top 10 of all time hits in baseball history.

He had been involved more heroic plays for the Yankees than many I can ever remember.He's been on 5 World Championship teams, and only twice in his 20 seasons did the Yankees NOT make the playoffs . 14 times and All star, and 5 Gold Gloves. You REALLY think Bobby is more deserving of the HOF THAN Jeter? Really?

Roy, how about this. I know Grich was a better player. And he would have been a better shortstop.

Jeter's entire career was in the steroid era. Pitching was shell shocked. If you did not hit it out on them, they counted that as a victory. Of course his offensive stats are good. He was a very good player. And as another poster stated, he would have made a fine Oriole. Leftfielder.

Archived