AJ's approach: Are you fine with it?

tettleton14

Simple question, but I know it's a point of contention. Would you want Adam to become more selective (say, walking 2-3x as much as he does) or are you just fine and dandy with what he currently is. I can see both sides. He's clearly well aware of his free-swinging mentality and openly talks about it.

I'm firmly on team #simplyaj10 and don't want him to change anything, as he gets better every year, is consistent and you never know how becoming more selective would affect the rest of his production.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple question, but I know it's a point of contention. Would you want Adam to become more selective (say, walking 2-3x As much as he does) or are you just fine and dandy with what he currently is. I can see both sides. He's clearly well aware of his free-swinging mentality and openly talks about it.

I'm firmly on team #simplyaj10 and don't want him to change anything, as he gets better every year, is consistent and you never know how becoming more selective would affect the rest off his production.

If he wasn't so consistent than I'd say yes, but he is terribly consistent. He's a .280+ hitter with his approach year and year out. He is who he is and won't change anyway so good for us :).

Simple question, but I know it's a point of contention. Would you want Adam to become more selective (say, walking 2-3x as much as he does) or are you just fine and dandy with what he currently is. I can see both sides. He's clearly well aware of his free-swinging mentality and openly talks about it.

I'm firmly on team #simplyaj10 and don't want him to change anything, as he gets better every year, is consistent and you never know how becoming more selective would affect the rest of his production.

Anyone not on team AJ does not get it. We are all on his team.

Learning some patience as he ages would be good for him and the team.

In 1971, Willie Mays was 40 years-old.

He led the league in walks for the first time in his career that season (112) while playing only 136 games, and subsequently on-base percentage (.425), as well.

He was past his prime, his power was nowhere near what it once had been, but he found a way to contribute to that N.L. West champion team.

Anyone not on team AJ does not get it. We are all on his team.

I would say many, many people do not like his approach. I think he does what works best for him and worry that becoming more patient *might* affect his otherwise terrific production.

"You see a lot of different guys go to free agency and switch teams. I fit here in this city. I fit here on this team. I fit in Camden Yards. I really don't see myself wearing another white uniform that doesn't have 'Orioles' across the chest."

"If we win here, this is my championship. This is our championship. I'm not part of someone else's championship. Putting all that in perspective, that makes me even hungrier to win. As a competitor, that's ultimately what I want. We can beat the odds here. I want to be a part of that.''

I seam to remember people complaining about Brady the same way for routine fly balls.

They did. It's not that uncommon for even great outfielders to do this. Jim Edmonds and Devon White (one of the greatest outfielders I've ever seen) were also super-casual catching the ball.

Am I happy that we have a CF who hits .280+ with 30+ homers and 100ish RBI? Yes. Not many teams have that.

Am I happy whenever our CF swings at a pitch that is nowhere near the strike zone, or that bounces before it ever reaches home plate? No, and it is very frustrating to watch.

Do I think that Adam's tendency to swing at bad pitches is a necessary element of the aggressiveness that allows him to hit 30+ homers and be a 100 RB guy? Frankly, I'm not sure. There seem to be plenty of HR guys who don't swing at bad pitches as often as he does.

In the end, I'm willing to put up with Jones' weaknesses and appreciate his strengths. And by the way, his O-Swing% is the lowest it's been since 2009, so who's to say that he isn't working on his approach even as we speak?

2010: 40.6%

2011: 44.4%

2012: 41.3%

2013: 44.9%

2014: 38.1%

Archived