Stand Pat

theobird

I really think we should stand pat at the trade deadline. I like our starting pitchers just fine, and I do not think that there is an upgrade available without trading away the farm. The upgrade will be Ubaldo, if he can get back and pitch up to his ability. I also like, and feel confident in our roster of position players. Delmon Young and David Lough backing up Markakis, Jones, Pearce and Cruz works well for me. Yeah, we could use a better hitting Catcher, but I like Caleb Joseph long term and expect his bat to play better than it has so far. Hundley is good as Catcher number 2.

The only move that I could really get on board with is to add another bullpen arm, especially another lefty. But the price would have to be right in order for me to make that move. I like this team, I like our chances with what we have. And since I have been an Orioles fan for most of my 53 years, I want sustainable success, and that does not happen by making "win now" trades.

I generally agree with you but I would favor sending Matusz and Hunter as part of a broader package to obtain an upgrade to the SP or offense. I am not in favor of including Bundy or Gausman unless the player we'll bring back has a minimum of 3 years available to us or will sign a 3 year deal.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always a bit scary to mess with the chemistry mid-season. I think we'll do minor tinkering, at most.

By the way, Ryan Flaherty has been hitting fairly decently for a while now. I'd lie to start seeing him in the lineup more often, to see whether his track record of hitting better in the second half of the season continues.

It's always a bit scary to mess with the chemistry mid-season. I think we'll do minor tinkering, at most.

By the way, Ryan Flaherty has been hitting fairly decently for a while now. I'd lie to start seeing him in the lineup more often, to see whether his track record of hitting better in the second half of the season continues.

I'd give the lions share of starts at 2B when Manny comes back for a while. He should easily hit better than Schoop has, and the drop off with the glove should be close to negligible.

I understand the chemistry thing, but not how you put it.

What is minor tinkering? Getting Kurt Suzuki, a bullpen arm? If so, what makes that less of a chemistry issue than getting a ACE pitcher?

The Os have been doing mid season moves a lot more the past few years than usual.

Hundley this year. Bud Norris, Scott Feldman, Hammel in the past couple. None of them to my knowledge had trouble joining the team or visa versa.

The only chemistry issue in making a move I can see is AJ Burnett because he was very vocal about not wanting to be traded.

I understand the chemistry thing, but not how you put it.

What is minor tinkering? Getting Kurt Suzuki, a bullpen arm? If so, what makes that less of a chemistry issue than getting a ACE pitcher?

The Os have been doing mid season moves a lot more the past few years than usual.

Hundley this year. Bud Norris, Scott Feldman, Hammel in the past couple. None of them to my knowledge had trouble joining the team or visa versa.

The only chemistry issue in making a move I can see is AJ Burnett because he was very vocal about not wanting to be traded.

Hammel wasn't a mid-season move. You left off KRod, however.

Hammel wasn't a mid-season move. You left off KRod, however.

None, however, were distractions or gave the team chemistry issues. I think it's overrated.

And had we kept KRod, we wouldn't be in need of a closer. And would make Hunter expendable in a trade as well, If anyone was interested.

Point being if they were able to get a upgrade anywhere abd didn't have to give up a lot, then I wouldn't not make that trade in fear of chemistry issues.

These guys are making millions. It isn't High School. If a guy can't accept someone being brought in to help the team, then that's their issue, not a team chemistry issue.

I think the biggest thing we need, that is also easily attainable without having to talk about Harvey or Bundy being involved, is a bullpen arm to replace Matusz.

Beyond that, I'd love to add Chase Utley and/or Kurt Suzuki. Suzuki could be a possibility but I doubt Utley is.

Also for all those that were against getting Samardjiza, his current numbers in the AL. For games started, 2.70 ERA 2 wins and 1 loss. Compared to 17 games in CHI with a 2.80 ERA 2 wins to 7 loses.

For those who thought his numbers would be worse coming to the AL. Like I said before he is on a better team that plays better D and hits better.

And.if you thought he was motivated to do good for the Cubs, imagine how motivated he is to play for a winner now....

And I think we could have bettered The As trade without giving up Gausman or Harvey.

But let's go after a 38 year old Burnett who doesn't want to be here, yaaay!

I think the biggest thing we need, that is also easily attainable without having to talk about Harvey or Bundy being involved, is a bullpen arm to replace Matusz.

Beyond that, I'd love to add Chase Utley and/or Kurt Suzuki. Suzuki could be a possibility but I doubt Utley is.

Id love Chase Utley. Also I'd rather have a closer and move Britton back to his old role, but any bullpen arm I would favor. Can't have enough!

Also for all those that were against getting Samardjiza, he is current numbers in the AL. For games started, 2.70 ERA 2 wins and 1 loss. Compared to 17 games in CHI with a 2.80 ERA 2 wins to 7 loses.

For those who though his numbers would be worse coming to the AL. Like I said before he is on a better team that plays better D and hits better.

And.if you thought he was motivated to do good for the Cubs, imagine how motivated he is to play for a winner now....

And I think we could have bettered The As trade without giving up Gausman or Harvey.

But let's go after a 38 year old Burnett who didn't want to be here, yaaay!

The A's gave up a more highly rated prospect than Gausman or Harvey, so I don't see how the O's could've beaten it without including one of them (or Bundy). Granted, the A's also got Hammel in that trade.

Also for all those that were against getting Samardjiza, his current numbers in the AL. For games started, 2.70 ERA 2 wins and 1 loss. Compared to 17 games in CHI with a 2.80 ERA 2 wins to 7 loses.

For those who thought his numbers would be worse coming to the AL. Like I said before he is on a better team that plays better D and hits better.

But let's go after a 38 year old Burnett who doesn't want to be here, yaaay!

To get JS we would have had to give up something like one of KG/Bundy/Harvey plus one of ERod/Cisco and then one of Berry/Davies/Bridwell likely.

The A's are deep in the farm system we are not. You do not give up 1/2 your farm system for one guy you control at max for 1 1/2 years Ask Seattle how well that works out and how much they wish they had Tillman and Jones right now. Last but no least how often does baseball's BEST team end up winning the WS...it happens but there is a fair amount of luck involved to.

To get JS we would have had to give up something like one of KG/Bundy/Harvey plus one of ERod/Cisco and then one of Berry/Davies/Bridwell likely.

The A's are deep in the farm system we are not. You do not give up 1/2 your farm system for one guy you control at max for 1 1/2 years Ask Seattle how well that works out and how much they wish they had Tillman and Jones right now. Last but no least how often does baseball's BEST team end up winning the WS...it happens but there is a fair amount of luck involved to.

I think it's funny that everyone wants to keep ALL of Bundy, Harvey, and Gausman.

Let's put this in perspective. Let's say we traded Bundy and a player or two that wasn't Gausman or Harvey.

Our rotation would have consisted of:

Tillman

Jimenez

Samardjiza

Gausman

That leaves the fifth spot for Harvey, Chen, Gonzo.

So where are all these pitchers going to fit?

Some of you act like if we give up one of those three then we are mortgaging or entire future. It's ridiculous.

If JS was 35 id understand. But he's 26 and has plenty of years left. Tillmans numbers aren't great but ppl think/expect he will get better. Some think JS can't get better, why not?

Some downgrade JS because he played for the Cubs in the NL, well he had been a better pitcher in the AL so far.

But you know what let's sit on all these pitchers, that way, when Chris Davis, Nelson Cruz, Hardy, and Wieters are all previously gone in two yearsrwe will be in the same spot but trying to trade for a bat rather than a pitcher.

And I hate sounding like I'm crying over spoiled grapes because we can't do anything about JS now, but I'm trying to prove this point for possible future moves when ppl are still in the same mindset that trading prospects will demolish our future. I think just the opposite.

In two years when we have Gausman, Jimenez, Tillman, Bundy, Harvey. We could very easily be looking for replacements for Davis, Cruz, Wieters, Hardy, possibly Markakis. Joe good are we going to be then?

I think it's funny that everyone wants to keep ALL of Bundy, Harvey, and Gausman.

Let's put this in perspective. Let's say we traded Bundy and a player or two that wasn't Gausman or Harvey.

Tillman

Jimenez

Samardjiza

Gausman

Some of you act like if we give up one of those three then we are mortgaging or entire future. It's ridiculous.

If JS was 35 id understand. But he's 26 and has plenty of years left. Tillmans numbers aren't great but ppl think/expect he will get better. Some think JS can't get better, why not?

Some downgrade JS because he issued for the Cubs in the NL, well he had been a better pitcher in the AL so far.

But you know what let's suit on ask these pitchers, that way, when Chris Davis, Nelson Cruz, Hardy, and Wieters are all previously gone in two yearsrwe will be in the same spot but trying to trade for a bat rather than a pitcher.

He is 26 and we have ZERO shot of resigning him. The Cubs offered him far more than we would and it was turned down. He has made it clear that unless its a market deal he is going to free agency.

JS is a good pitcher. He is also a having his FIRST season with an ERA south of 3.75 or WHIP south of 1.20

He dominated Houston and Toronto...two teams that were/are struggling to score when he went up against them. Against us he went 7 inning and gave up 4 earned runs...hardly ace stuff. Against Seattle 8 inning and 3 runs....pretty damn good I admit but Chen just threw 8 shutout against them and they have offensive woes also.

He is a good pitcher, I would love to have him at the right price but I am not giving up that number of young cost controlled arms when I have the number of guys who need contracts addressing that the O's do on the off chance we could get lucky and win the WS. If you really want a Championship, volume is the key, getting to the playoffs more frequently gives you a better shot to accomplish that than anyone player or trade. Trading what it would take to get JS would in the long term diminish our chances of doing that.

Tillman

Jimenez

Samardjiza

Gausman

Some downgrade JS because he played for the Cubs in the NL, well he had been a better pitcher in the AL so far.

But you know what let's sit on all these pitchers, that way, when Chris Davis, Nelson Cruz, Hardy, and Wieters are all previously gone in two yearsrwe will be in the same spot but trying to trade for a bat rather than a pitcher.

And I hate sounding like I'm crying over spoiled grapes because we can't do anything about JS now, but I'm trying to prove this point for possible future moves when ppl are still in the same mindset that trading prospects will demolish our future. I think just the opposite.

In two years when we have Gausman, Jimenez, Tillman, Bundy, Harvey. We could very easily be looking for replacements for Davis, Cruz, Wieters, Hardy, possibly Markakis. Joe good are we going to be then?

Let me just add ...I remember people like you screaming to trade Machado several years back for Headley....yeah that would been smart...another guy who had a breakout year but has failed to live up to the hype. Lets not act like JS is this surefire #1 starter ....he does not have a history that suggests that yet, this is the first season he has even REMOTELY looked like an ace. He has the talent and may turn out to be but trading your future away for that is something you do only if you have the deep system the A's have.

but we have to do something about 2B. It's ridiculous that a first place/contending team is using the season to develop a player who is clearly not ready to be in the big leagues (Schoop). He needs to be in AAA working on his approach at the plate.

Just because he is not ready offensively does not mean he is not ready overall. The strength of this team is clearly its defense, and Schoop's play at 2B has been a big (and frankly very surprising) part of that.

Now, I agree that his bat is an issue, and I do think they should be looking for an ugrade for the stretch run there if one is available. Just saying that you can't ignore the defensive factor.

Archived