Stand Pat

theobird

The same Orioles that are 2-4 Vs A's and 1-5 Vs Tigers?

Do you find enjoyment in cherry-picking stats to satisfy your pessimism?

vs. OAK 2-4

vs. LAA 2-1

vs. DET 1-5

vs. NYY 6-3

Record vs teams that would currently make the playoffs in the AL: 11-13

Record vs teams with .500 records or better: 28-28

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vs. OAK 2-4

vs. LAA 2-1

vs. DET 1-5

vs. NYY 6-3

If Oakland keeps playing like this they gonna be the number 1 seed. Orioles win the east they gonna play the Tigers 1-5 vs them. That's not cherry-picking.

If I'm looking for a candidate to move to the pen I'd probably start with someone who has trouble controlling his secondaries and walks a fair number of batters. He can dump the pitches he doesn't need, ditch the windup, simplify things and air it out.

I guess Chen could be the new Koji, never walking anyone. But I find it hard to see him worth more throwing a 7th inning every few days than six innings every five days.

It's a numbers game, Drungo. The O's have a bunch of starters, but few (if any) who stand out. Jimenez isn't getting bumped from the rotation, even though he's the most deserving, simply because they're paying him too much. Tillman's the de facto "ace," however dubious that title might be. Norris has been better, on the whole, than Chen and Gonzo, though the margin isn't huge. And Gausman has shown flashes of #1/2 potential.

Giving Gausman more (consistent) innings is my priority, and I don't think the value that Chen/Gonzo have as starters should hinder that. Neither pitcher is very good, let alone consistent. But consolidating the rotation (i.e., five vs. six) and moving the odd man out to the 'pen would mean stabilizing innings among the top five AND getting rid of Matusz. I think that potential value weighs pretty well against whatever you'd expect from Chen's remaining starts.

I'd also add this: if you think the O's are headed to the postseason, they're not going to be starting six pitchers in the playoffs. At most, you're looking at four starters, so where do the other two go? The bullpen. If it makes sense for the playoffs, and if you (or anyone else) thinks that Chen might need an adjustment period in re: relieving, then why not get a head start on that? Or if Gonzo's destined for the playoff bullpen, why not put him there now? As things currently stand, the O's are carrying dead weight in the bullpen in Matusz, along with too many starting pitchers. Kill two birds (metaphorically, of course).

vs. OAK 2-4

vs. LAA 2-1

vs. DET 1-5

vs. NYY 6-3

The same Orioles that are 2-4 Vs A's and 1-5 Vs Tigers?

Yes. Those same Orioles.

And the same Orioles that you said had no chance at all to win last night's (or tonight's) game, because:

3-3 and on the way to 3-5. Iwakuma and King will own this O.

You'll quickly point to the Orioles' 1-5 record vs. the Tigers and 2-4 record vs. the Athletics as a sign of almost sure defeat should they happen to meet in the playoffs in October, and also put the Orioles in the "L" column for 2 games in the regular season before a single pitch has been thrown.

How you manage to enjoy your fandom of this team (assuming that you do enjoy it) is amazing.

If Oakland keeps playing like this they gonna be the number 1 seed. Orioles win the east they gonna play the Tigers 1-5 vs them. That's not cherry-picking.

First of all, Oakland has a winning record against everyone in the AL except Detroit.

Secondly, we played all 6 of those games against Detroit in April.

Thirdly, Toronto is 6-4 against those two teams. So do you think Toronto are World Series contenders? Since all that matters is your record against Detroit and Oakland, apparently...

vs. OAK 2-4

vs. LAA 2-1

vs. DET 1-5

vs. NYY 6-3

Huzzah!

First of all, Oakland has a winning record against everyone in the AL except Detroit.

Secondly, we played all 6 of those games against Detroit in April.

Thirdly, Toronto is 6-4 against those two teams. So do you think Toronto are World Series contenders? Since all that matters is your record against Detroit and Oakland, apparently ...

The Indians are 7-5 against the Tigers, also (but only 2-4 against the Athletics.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Their first pennant since 1997 ???

I'd also add this: if you think the O's are headed to the postseason, they're not going to be starting six pitchers in the playoffs. At most, you're looking at four starters, so where do the other two go? The bullpen. If it makes sense for the playoffs, and if you (or anyone else) thinks that Chen might need an adjustment period in re: relieving, then why not get a head start on that? Or if Gonzo's destined for the playoff bullpen, why not put him there now? As things currently stand, the O's are carrying dead weight in the bullpen in Matusz, along with too many starting pitchers. Kill two birds (metaphorically, of course).

There's no adjustment period. You do what you need to do to get to the playoffs, then you tell whoever needs to go to the pen or off the playoff roster that's what has to happen. I think it makes sense to get everyone currently in the rotation extra rest, I think they pitch better that way.

There's no adjustment period. You do what you need to do to get to the playoffs, then you tell whoever needs to go to the pen or off the playoff roster that's what has to happen. I think it makes sense to get everyone currently in the rotation extra rest, I think they pitch better that way.

Tillman hasn't been pitching with extra rest. Neither was Jimenez before he got hurt. Chen got some extra rest after his first July start, and gave up 3 ER in 5.66 innings against the Nationals in his next one. Norris was sent to the minors over the break to keep him on a regular schedule, as was Gonzo. The guy who's been getting bounced around has been Gausman, who's arguably the last pitcher the O's should be messing around with. In fact, thanks to scattered injuries, most of the O's pitchers haven't been getting "extra" rest, so I'm not sure what makes you think they pitch better that way. When Ubaldo comes back, there's going to be a jogjam.

Archived