Zach Britton - No need for a closer

brianod

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was in a very good place to hit. Still, a first pitch 95-97 mph fastball to get ahead in the count isn't the worst pitch in the world. Donaldson got all of it and it went out. It happens. The two hits before that were a dribbler down to 3B for an infield single and a handle shot into RF for a soft single. With a little luck, Donaldson's shot would have been a 2 out solo homer and the O's still would have been up a run.

I'm a Britton supporter, but I hate this logic. Once he allowed the bad luck hits, his job was to keep the second on from scoring to tie the game. Not to allow a walk-off homer. Every pitcher deals with bad luck hits, defensive miscues or bad calls on balls and strikes. Part of the job description is to overcome them. Jim Johnson had many games where one or more "hits" off him were infield nubbers. Sometimes he erased them with a DP grounder, other times those guys scored and he blew the save. It's on the closer to keep the lead even if runners get on undeservedly.

I'm a Britton supporter, but I hate this logic. Once he allowed the bad luck hits, his job was to keep the second on from scoring to tie the game. Not to allow a walk-off homer. Every pitcher deals with bad luck hits, defensive miscues or bad calls on balls and strikes. Part of the job description is to overcome them. Jim Johnson had many games where one or more "hits" off him were infield nubbers. Sometimes he erased them with a DP grounder, other times those guys scored and he blew the save. It's on the closer to keep the lead even if runners get on undeservedly.

While I agree with what is in bold, there are times when other team beats you.

I think the Oakland example is a pretty good example of this. They pretty much scratched and clawed their way to a victory.

I feel confident that Britton has the stuff and the intestial fortitude to overcome these scenarios the majority of the time.

He could help himself a lot by improving his fielding. With as many groundballs as he induces, it's inevitable that some of them find him. Twice this week he has been unable to get outs on ground balls a decent fielding pitcher would have converted. A groundball pitcher who doesn't field well is a combination that is bound to produce some bad results.

BTW - This is one area where Ubaldo excels. I love the way he handles groundballs hit to or near the mound. He should share some of his fielding DNA with Britton.

While I agree with what is in bold, there are times when other team beats you.

I think the Oakland example is a pretty good example of this. They pretty much scratched and clawed their way to a victory.

I feel confident that Britton has the stuff and the intestial fortitude to overcome these scenarios the majority of the time.

So do I.

He could help himself a lot by improving his fielding. With as many groundballs as he induces, it's inevitable that some of them find him. Twice this week he has been unable to get outs on ground balls a decent fielding pitcher would have converted. A groundball pitcher who doesn't field well is a combination that is bound to produce some bad results.

BTW - This is one area where Ubaldo excels. I love the way he handles groundballs hit to or near the mound. He should share some of his fielding DNA with Britton.

It was always a problem with Jake Arrieta as well.

I would give him a ding for the fielding the position aspect. No doubt, he has been excellent since his last blown save. Outstanding in fact.

I assume you guys are dinging him for last nights grounder up the middle off his glove/threw the ball away? Because I have not seen him screw up anything else fielding wise recently. He's athletic enough.

He threw Josh Hamilton eight consecutive fastballs and got a swing and a miss strikeout. That is extremely hard to do. In fact, I wish he wouldn't have done it. His slider is good enough.

I assume you guys are dinging him for last nights grounder up the middle off his glove/threw the ball away? Because I have not seen him screw up anything else fielding wise recently. He's athletic enough.

He threw Josh Hamilton eight consecutive fastballs and got a swing and a miss strikeout. That is extremely hard to do. In fact, I wish he wouldn't have done it. His slider is good enough.

He has been fantastic. I have seen a couple infield plays that he has not made. Not that their have been many. I just did not give him the full 100 score last evening because of the throw.

Hamilton has very poor numbers versus, well basically anything that isn't a fastball. I also disagree with a plan that involves heavy fastball usage against him.

Hamilton has very poor numbers versus, well basically anything that isn't a fastball. I also disagree with a plan that involves heavy fastball usage against him.

As a lefty. Britton must get some nice run on that FB for that to work.

Another 1-2-3 save with a one run lead. Simply the best closer we have had in a long time. JJ saved a ton of games of the last 2 years but he was Don StanhouseESQ. Amazing that the consensus on the board was to give up on him, during spring training.

Another 1-2-3 save with a one run lead. Simply the best closer we have had in a long time. JJ saved a ton of games of the last 2 years but he was Don StanhouseESQ. Amazing that the consensus on the board was to give up on him, during spring training.

I understand what you're getting at, but 'consensus' means pretty much complete agreement. And there was pretty much complete agreement in spring training that Britton should make the team. He had a great spring training. There was concern BEFORE spring training that he was out of options and might have to earn his spot or we'd lose him. Even then, the overwhelming majority of posters were expecting that he'd make the team and hoping he'd do what he did in spring training; make it a no-brainer that he'd make the team.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/search.php?searchid=973866

I remember a great deal of enthusiasm for Britton almost from day one of spring training. During the off season? You have a point.

Archived