Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was for it when it happened. And I am perfectly fine with it now irrespective of how EdRod does in his career. The getting to the World Series in 2014 was much more important to me than anything that might happen down the road. And Miller was hugely successful, imho. And not only was the benefit from his play for us, but him NOT pitching for Detroit was as valuable. Detroit likely wins that series with Miller. This is no Frank Robinson/Milt Pappas, Glenn Davis/Curt Schilling deal no matter how successful EdRod might become.

I think that one would be popular.

I'd rather have him back knowing what I know now would be huge too. And I'd vote it. I believe Delmon could have hit him. And if not, Well. It would have spared me the pain of KC.

But would he be this guy if the O's kept him?

Or would you keep him just to keep him from being this guy for the Red Sox?

I don't know what mineral and supplement regimen they have him on. He looks much bigger.

I was for it when it happened. And I am perfectly fine with it now irrespective of how EdRod does in his career. The getting to the World Series in 2014 was much more important to me than anything that might happen down the road. And Miller was hugely successful, imho. And not only was the benefit from his play for us, but him NOT pitching for Detroit was as valuable. Detroit likely wins that series with Miller. This is no Frank Robinson/Milt Pappas, Glenn Davis/Curt Schilling deal no matter how successful EdRod might become.

Jumping off that point, had we beaten KC in the ALCS, and made it to the Series, or won it, would that change anyone's opinion on the deal? That could have been what Duquette was thinking at the time. Back in July, he knew we were out Wieters; Hardy was a pending free agent; Davis and Chen, IMHO, are sure to test the market. In short, even though he had a surplus of young arms, 2014 could have been seen as a limited window to go all the way before having to rebuild the club in 2016.

Jumping off that point, had we beaten KC in the ALCS, and made it to the Series, or won it, would that change anyone's opinion on the deal? That could have been what Duquette was thinking at the time. Back in July, he knew we were out Wieters; Hardy was a pending free agent; Davis and Chen, IMHO, are sure to test the market. In short, even though he had a surplus of young arms, 2014 could have been seen as a limited window to go all the way before having to rebuild the club in 2016.

Similarly, imagine if it had been reported that the O's turned down the trade then the O's lost to a Tigers team anchored in the bullpen by Andrew Miller in the ALDS, and now EdRod was still pitching in Double A at about the same level he did for Bowie last year while Wright etc. were pitching for the O's as well as they are now. People would be saying how DD had a surplus of pitching and was crazy not to part with a piece for a shot at a WS and how he should have gone for it. Hindsight--always 20/20.

Excellent points! As difficult as it is to get in the Series, you have got to add the piece or two you feel will get you over the top. The timing was exactly right and with a few more wins we would have made it. If we had been in 3rd place and out of it, obviously you don't make that type of trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The undisputed worst trade in Baltimore history is when we traded Curt Schilling, Pete Harnisch and Steve Finley to the Astros for Glenn Davis.

Let's not forget that it took Schilling and Finley getting traded again before they turned into real stars. So that trade wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Finley and Schilling were middling players that hadn't figured it out and Harnisch was actually the prize of the deal.

This is one is definitely more of an "F you Orioles" from the start. I see a big lefty that can sit in the mid 90's and command three pitches. I see C.C. Sabathia. If he ends up having a similar career, will that be worse than the Glenn trade?

Yes, I thought this deserved it's own thread.

I think it's too early to classify this trade as one of the worst trades in team history.

Miller was a piece that helped greatly during the stretch run last year.

The Orioles are pretty deep in starting pitching and they dealt one of their prospects who has pitched really well for the Red Sox in a couple of starts.

The Orioles never won anything with davis, they went to the playoffs with Miller in the fold.

This post would have a little more credibility if it were posted last summer when Miller was dominating the East and then subsequently the Tigers in the playoffs. Not too much talk about how bad the trade was back then when we were making our push toward the WS.

Archived