Gotta get help at the black hole at 2nd base

TouchemAll

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you won't back down from it, you never had an argument. As my original post talked about all 3 stats.

And here's the problem w/ Schoop if you take away AVG...his OBP is awful. And his SLG? Awful as well.

It'd be one thing if he was Chris Davis with the bat this year. That is...a poor AVG...but an OBP > .300. But he's not that. And he doesn't have the power either. Aside from a rare homer on mistakes...he doesn't hit many XBH. How do you explain his near MLB worst line drive percentage?

Shoot, if you just used OBP...Jones is nothing special. What does he excel at? AVG and SLG.

Didn't we all agree to use wOBA about three years ago?

If you won't back down from it, you never had an argument. As my original post talked about all 3 stats.

And here's the problem w/ Schoop if you take away AVG...his OBP is awful. And his SLG? Awful as well.

It'd be one thing if he was Chris Davis with the bat this year. That is...a poor AVG...but an OBP > .300. But he's not that. And he doesn't have the power either. Aside from a rare homer on mistakes...he doesn't hit many XBH. How do you explain his near MLB worst line drive percentage?

Shoot, if you just used OBP...Jones is nothing special. What does he excel at? AVG and SLG.

He's just horrible. We should trade him for a bucket of balls or better yet just release him. At 22 he's already too old to improve, what's the point in giving him ab's to improve. It's just a good thing the rest of the order is hitting so well that we can play such a horrendous player. :rolleyes:

ooops, edited to add sarcastic smiley so some don't take me serious

He's just horrible. We should trade him for a bucket of balls or better yet just release him. At 22 he's already too old to improve, what's the point in giving him ab's to improve. It's just a good thing the rest of the order is hitting so well that we can play such a horrendous player.

Is this the rough equivalent of a white flag?

I'm not saying trade him. He has little value.

I'm not saying release him. That'd be idiotic.

I'm saying send him down. Get the extra year of control. He's not growing up here. He's regressed. There has been zero growth. And he's hurting the club from an offensive standpoint.

If you go by WAR, he's been worth 0.5. And that's entirely defensive driven. Nothing else.

I just didn't want to pile on. A pristine 257 wOBA. Yikes.

And an 11.4% LD%. Yikes.

Hell, if we use FG's WAR...he's ringing in at a wonderful 0.3.

I'm laughing at you now. You're taking my comments about average being over rated. That Schoop's production at AA and AAA being above poor because of his age and twisting it that he's having a good season.

Edit: These posts are not welcome here. -sbauer

I'm laughing at you now. You're taking my comments about average being over rated. That Schoop's production at AA and AAA being above poor because of his age and twisting it that he's having a good season.

I have to admit, I know think you are amazingly special. In a white helmet kinda way.

You know, this is quite amazing. Not only have you taken the amazing ability to be completely wrong the entire length of the way...but you've not only insulted members in the process...but you've managed to make fun of mentally challenged people as well.

I have to admit, that's quite a feat.

Not sure I understand the argument here. Is someone suggesting that Schoop's numbers are acceptable? That he isn't regressing he's, making progress? AL league average 2B: .263 .319 .375 .694, Schoop: 213 .250 .325 .575

April/May:.268 .405 .673

July: .179 .191 .269 .460

You know, this is quite amazing. Not only have you taken the amazing ability to be completely wrong the entire length of the way...but you've not only insulted members in the process...but you've managed to make fun of mentally challenged people as well.

I have to admit, that's quite a feat.

The utter perversion of the word "special" into a euphemism for mentally "challenged" is, well, ...really quite "special".

The utter perversion of the word "special" into a euphemism for mentally "challenged" is, well, ...really quite "special".

Special and white helmet is a euphemism now? Come now, you know exactly what he was saying. Especially following it up with a rather suggestive PM.

Special and white helmet is a euphemism now? Come now, you know exactly what he was saying. Especially following it up with a rather suggestive PM.

Wouldn't know about the PM other than to say I've been on the receiving end of a couple of ripe ones myself. I'm not looking for a fight, but I do have a dislike for euphemisms and it goes right down to the species level. "Special" in this context is a textbook example of a euphemism.

My take on Schoop is that he's been a calculated risk by the FO. It's one I've supported all year long, but given the not-quite-warrented success by the Orioles so far, there's now something to protect. I don't get it either, but I'm not complaining. I have no objection to replacing him in the short term if there's a clear improvement. I remain convinced he's going to be successful ML player over time, and I hope it's with the O's.

I think they kept Schoop because he had a good ST and an OK April. And they needed Flash to cover 3B while Manny was still out.They felt his D was good enough that they could carry his bat. But that changed when Wieters went down. Things would be fine if Matt was still here. But he's not and they have sat on their hands waiting for Schoop to "get it". It should have been clear by the ASB that he wasn't getting it this year. They needed to do something else. Maybe they will with the waivers.

Wouldn't know about the PM other than to say I've been on the receiving end of a couple of ripe ones myself. I'm not looking for a fight, but I do have a dislike for euphemisms and it goes right down to the species level. "Special" in this context is a textbook example of a euphemism.

This is my last take on this matter. I don't like anyone making fun of mentally challenged people. Whether it be thinly veiled or by outright saying "retarded" in a negative manner. Or anything in between. Those people are no better than racists, sexists, and homophobes. And sometimes I go a little overboard calling them out...but it's a necessary evil. Things never change without action.

My take on Schoop is that he's been a calculated risk by the FO. It's one I've supported all year long, but given the not-quite-warrented success by the Orioles so far, there's now something to protect. I don't get it either, but I'm not complaining. I have no objection to replacing him in the short term if there's a clear improvement. I remain convinced he's going to be successful ML player over time, and I hope it's with the O's.

I remain convinced he'll eventually get it. But he's young. He has a severely problematic approach at the plate. He's not making solid contact at all. And in certain situations where he needs to make contact...he strikes out. Those are all very marked problems. And things he needs to work out at the minor league level.

The unfortunate problem is the hitting isn't getting better. And it's quickly mounting to be a problem where the offense (or lack there-of) is on its way to outweigh his defensive prowess.

This isn't to say that Flaherty is that much better. I think Flaherty is a better hitter...but it's not a huge upgrade.

Archived