Gotta get help at the black hole at 2nd base

TouchemAll

Weeks has always had a poor reputation defensively, and the stats seem to back that up. Ivan DeJesus, Jr, otoh, has an excellent rep for defense and would fit perfectly defensively at 2B if the O's would give him reps there at Norfolk. Plus, he's hittng .300, is a selective hitter who gets on base, and has shown the last 2 years that he does have enough gap power to be taken seriously as a hitter. Unless hes' offended someone's mother, there's no reason he shouldn't be in the major leagues.

Tony-OH agrees about DeJesus.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my last take on this matter. I don't like anyone making fun of mentally challenged people. Whether it be thinly veiled or by outright saying "retarded" in a negative manner. Or anything in between. Those people are no better than racists, sexists, and homophobes. And sometimes I go a little overboard calling them out...but it's a necessary evil. Things never change without action.

I remain convinced he'll eventually get it. But he's young. He has a severely problematic approach at the plate. He's not making solid contact at all. And in certain situations where he needs to make contact...he strikes out. Those are all very marked problems. And things he needs to work out at the minor league level.

The unfortunate problem is the hitting isn't getting better. And it's quickly mounting to be a problem where the offense (or lack there-of) is on its way to outweigh his defensive prowess.

This isn't to say that Flaherty is that much better. I think Flaherty is a better hitter...but it's not a huge upgrade.

Well when you call people out for using the word special you should make damn

sure they are making fun of mentally challenged folks. But what I hate is for a guy

to accuse someone when they use a word they don't to insult anyone that is

disabled or mentally challenged. Now I have been disabled for 50 years. But I will

not get all over someone's butt because of a word they use. When they don't

mean one damn thing by it. Now before I get banned I am going to stop posting.

Now back to the post. Schoop may need go down but when there may not be

anyone better. I was wanting them to try Weeks but he may not be much of an

upgrade.

Is Steve Lombardozzi's defense that bad? I didn't watch many Nat's games when he was there. What is he doing in Norfolk? I'm surprised at this point that we haven't seen him. Could use Ryan as a late inning defensive replacement.

Good point. From his stats, Weeks looks to be playing well at Norfolk. Good OBP, etc. He's a switch hitter, too. Why not give him a chance at 2nd, and bat him 9th or leadoff, and move Nick to the 3 hole or something? Isn't that why we traded JJ away to Oakland - to have him in case we have no good alternatives at second?

Meanwhile, I'm also a big Schoop believer. Someone mentioned that they're okay with Davis hitting fewer home runs than Schoop lately because Davis could come-to at any moment. I feel the same about Schoop. You know the light will come on.

I also feel like the team could use a little shakeup offensively - a new presence atop the order could provide that.

Is Steve Lombardozzi's defense that bad? I didn't watch many Nat's games when he was there. What is he doing in Norfolk? I'm surprised at this point that we haven't seen him. Could use Ryan as a late inning defensive replacement.
Good point. From his stats' date=' Weeks looks to be playing well at Norfolk. Good OBP, etc. He's a switch hitter, too. Why not give him a chance at 2nd, and bat him 9th or leadoff, and move Nick to the 3 hole or something? Isn't that why we traded JJ away to Oakland - to have him in case we have no good alternatives at second?

Meanwhile, I'm also a big Schoop believer. Someone mentioned that they're okay with Davis hitting fewer home runs than Schoop lately because Davis could come-to at any moment. I feel the same about Schoop. You know the light will come on.

I also feel like the team could use a little shakeup offensively - a new presence atop the order could provide that.[/quote']

Steve does not have enough arm for third base.

My solution to the O's offensive problems does not come from 2B. And its already in place. Over the rest of August the O's will play the Blue Jays, Yankees, Indians, White Sox, Cubs and Twins. You want to see the O's hit? Watch those games. None of those pitching staffs are close to what the O's have been playing with Seattle, LAA and Oakland. The O's offense will get better in the month of August.

So if you are worried about the O's have a winning formula to beat playoff teams. They already have it. The O's just played the hardest part of their schedule in the last two weeks. And they went 9-5. That defense. That pitching. And enough hitting to get by is the winning formula for the playoffs.

The O's just finished the month of July with a 17-9 record. That is .654 baseball. That is a 105 win pace for a season. That is the O's best monthly record since September 2012. You remember that month. The one the put the O's in the playoffs.

The O's ERA for July was 2.96. Someone tell me when was the last month the O's had a 2.96 ERA month. The ERA is a result of pitching and defense. Defense that Schoop and Flaherty help create. That is part of the winning formula.

To address the question at hand about replacing Schoop, there is not good answer. The non waiver deadline has past. Any decent major league proven starting 2B will not pass through waivers. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

De Jesus is the best the O's have at AAA. He doesn't have Schoop arm or range. That is probably why DD and Buck has not promoted him so far. We know Buck talks to Ron Johnson on almost a daily basis. If they thought De Jesus was better he would already be with the O's. We may see De Jesus in September when the roster expands. Lombo and Weeks don't come close to Schoop defense.

So there is my solution. Continue to win with what you have. .654 baseball is not that hard to watch. Enjoy see the O's offense come back in August against lesser pitching. And don't worry so much about how the O's will do in the playoffs. They have been tested the last two weeks and came out great.

If you really need something to worry about, worry about injuries. The team is about as healthy as we could hope for. A few well placed injuries could impact the team.

Enjoy!

Good point. From his stats, Weeks looks to be playing well at Norfolk. Good OBP, etc. He's a switch hitter, too. Why not give him a chance at 2nd, and bat him 9th or leadoff, and move Nick to the 3 hole or something? Isn't that why we traded JJ away to Oakland - to have him in case we have no good alternatives at second?

I also feel like the team could use a little shakeup offensively - a new presence atop the order could provide that.

I really don't. I don't know that that light will come on or that he will become Brett Wallace. I don't know.

My solution to the O's offensive problems does not come from 2B. And its already in place. Over the rest of August the O's will play the Blue Jays, Yankees, Indians, White Sox, Cubs and Twins. You want to see the O's hit? Watch those games. None of those pitching staffs are close to what the O's have been playing with Seattle, LAA and Oakland. The O's offense will get better in the month of August.

So if you are worried about the O's have a winning formula to beat playoff teams. They already have it. The O's just played the hardest part of their schedule in the last two weeks. And they went 9-5. That defense. That pitching. And enough hitting to get by is the winning formula for the playoffs.

The O's just finished the month of July with a 17-9 record. That is .654 baseball. That is a 105 win pace for a season. That is the O's best monthly record since September 2012. You remember that month. The one the put the O's in the playoffs.

The O's ERA for July was 2.96. Someone tell me when was the last month the O's had a 2.96 ERA month. The ERA is a result of pitching and defense. Defense that Schoop and Flaherty help create. That is part of the winning formula.

To address the question at hand about replacing Schoop, there is not good answer. The non waiver deadline has past. Any decent major league proven starting 2B will not pass through waivers. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

De Jesus is the best the O's have at AAA. He doesn't have Schoop arm or range. That is probably why DD and Buck has not promoted him so far. We know Buck talks to Ron Johnson on almost a daily basis. If they thought De Jesus was better he would already be with the O's. We may see De Jesus in September when the roster expands. Lombo and Weeks don't come close to Schoop defense.

So there is my solution. Continue to win with what you have. .654 baseball is not that hard to watch. Enjoy see the O's offense come back in August against lesser pitching. And don't worry so much about how the O's will do in the playoffs. They have been tested the last two weeks and came out great.

If you really need something to worry about, worry about injuries. The team is about as healthy as we could hope for. A few well placed injuries could impact the team.

Enjoy!

How do you know this? Do you watch Tides games regularly? I don't know of any site that provides detailed MiL defensive stats, do you? I don't know whether of not Dejesus is worse defensively, but I don't think you do either.

How do you know this? Do you watch Tides games regularly? I don't know of any site that provides detailed MiL defensive stats, do you? I don't know whether of not Dejesus is worse defensively, but I don't think you do either.

Several people here watch all the Tides games.

I feel pretty safe in saying that Schoop is better defensive than De Jesus especially with his arm and range because Schoop in that good defensively. Not because De Jesus is bad. Schoop's UZR is 6.1 that is 5th in all of baseball. His fielding percentage is .989 at 2b and his range factor is 5.09 according to ESPN which is 3rd in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/2b/sort/rangeFactor

So I when I say Schoop is better defensively its because Schoop is that good. Not because De Jesus is bad.

I think he threatend to kill me or something once, but the mods deleted the PM. Thank God they've released him, I can only hope its permanent.

Another lie! Never PM'd you and most certainly never threatened you in any way. As a cop I'd think you'd have more integrity then that.

Archived