Gotta get help at the black hole at 2nd base

TouchemAll

Lots of teams are getting terrible production at 2B this season. The Giants even gave Dan Uggla a chance out of desperation. I'm not saying the O's situation is good, but it's not like there is a lot of surplus talent at that position to trade for.

I think the problem is the Orioles just get so little offensive production from SO many positions, that you almost have to upgrade at least one. And on our team, 2B is the most obvious choice.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be shocked if the they weren't at least considering bringing him back.

I'd be shocked if they were. It's a classic lose-probably lose scenario. All Brob is at this point is a backstory that has a much greater chance of complicating things than clarifying them. Right now the O's need offense at 2B, not feel-good history.

I might say this. Its not exactly murderers row with Cruz, Davis and Pearce right now either.These are supposed to be veteran hitters with power and a good batting eye. The strike outs mount, the walks decrease and the Orioles have to rely on HR night after night.

I may be the biggest Schoop supporter on this board,and I agree he's struggled, but he's not the biggest problem right now. The usual suspects are suspect.They aren't hitting.

But you can't ask your veterans to cover for a minor league hitter night after night. It is an issue when you have someone in your lineup who has no business hitting in the majors right now. He's almost like having a pitcher out there. Then you throw in the Wieters injury and you are asking your veterans to cover for two non-MLB caliber hitters. Which works when Pierce and Cruz are playing out of their minds. But when they aren't, you at least need SOMETHING from the other guys.

I'd be shocked if they were. It's a classic lose-probably lose scenario. All Brob is at this point is a backstory that has a much greater chance of complicating things than clarifying them. Right now the O's need offense at 2B, not feel-good history.

His offense is much much better than what we are getting currently.

So why wouldn't we pick him up?

Go get BRob. He helped us down the stretch last year despite us not getting to the playoffs. I can see him doing .250, .310 easily. I love how Schoop defenders try to justify having him there because of his defense. There may be one play a week that Schoop makes that BRob can't make. What about those 30 at bats?

Schoop doesn't belong in the bigs right now and i honestly feel it is hurting his development. Never proved himself in AAA. Not the way to run your organization.

Go get BRob. He helped us down the stretch last year despite us not getting to the playoffs. I can see him doing .250, .310 easily. I love how Schoop defenders try to justify having him there because of his defense. There may be one play a week that Schoop makes that BRob can't make. What about those 30 at bats?

Schoop doesn't belong in the bigs right now and i honestly feel it is hurting his development. Never proved himself in AAA. Not the way to run your organization.

There are probably some double plays that Schoop can turn that Roberts can't with his arm.

I might say this. Its not exactly murderers row with Cruz, Davis and Pearce right now either.These are supposed to be veteran hitters with power and a good batting eye. The strike outs mount, the walks decrease and the Orioles have to rely on HR night after night.

I may be the biggest Schoop supporter on this board,and I agree he's struggled, but he's not the biggest problem right now. The usual suspects are suspect.They aren't hitting.

The usual suspect is Schoop. Not the 3 you mentioned. Those 3 are murderers row compared to Schoop. I think you'd be surprised to see how much an MLB caliber 2B would impact the rest of the lineup. It's like a NL lineup with Schoop in there. There are pitchers that hit better than him.

Cruz

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dcruzne02%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Pearce

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dpearcst01%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Davis

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Ddavisch02%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Schoop

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dschoojo01%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Last 14 days .200 obp

Last 28 days.....212 obp, 314 slg%

Looks pretty clear if there is a better option, we should take it. Roberts is a better option.

Cruz last 14 days obp .235 28 days .303 obp .388 slg%

Pearce .243 obp .278 obp .266 slg

Davis .310 obp .243 obp .364 slg

I am glad you still are able to cherry pick the stats to confirm your agenda.

Cruz last 14 days obp .235 28 days .303 obp .388 slg%

Pearce .243 obp .278 obp .266 slg

Davis .310 obp .243 obp .364 slg

I am glad you still are able to cherry pick the stats to confirm your agenda.

So using 14 and 28 days is "cherry picking" but using 2 games over the last week isn't?

What exactly is your point?

Archived