Gotta get help at the black hole at 2nd base

TouchemAll

So using 14 and 28 days is "cherry picking" but using 2 games over the last week isn't?

What exactly is your point?

Where did I use 2 days?

You saying Schoop is the problem, posting his obp and slg% while totally ignoring the struggles of our #4,5 and 6 hitter over the same time period. Why aren't you clamoring for improvements for them?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did I use 2 days?

You saying Schoop is the problem, posting his obp and slg% while totally ignoring the struggles of our #4,5 and 6 hitter over the same time period. Why aren't you clamoring for improvements for them?

I didn't ignore anything. I simply pointed out that schoops stats are awful.

The difference here is that Cruz, Davis and Pearce all have proven track records that they can turn it around and contribute.

Schoop is a young kid who's been playing above the level where he should be at for half a season and struggling mightily.

A few random home runs don't hide his horrible contact numbers. The other point which you ignored was that Roberts, while not great, would be a significant offensive upgrade over schoop. Bringing him in would also allow us to send schoop back down to develop properly because it surely hasn't happened here. And I've seen no evidence that's going to change.

Cruz, Davis and Pearce however, all have shown an ability to get red hot. Schoop hasn't. Capiche?

The difference here is that Cruz, Davis and Pearce all have proven track records that they can turn it around and contribute.

Schoop is a young kid who's been playing above the level where he should be at for half a season and struggling mightily.

A few random home runs don't hide his horrible contact numbers. The other point which you ignored was that Roberts, while not great, would be a significant offensive upgrade over schoop. Bringing him in would also allow us to send schoop back down to develop properly because it surely hasn't happened here. And I've seen no evidence that's going to change.

Cruz, Davis and Pearce however, all have shown an ability to get red hot. Schoop hasn't. Capiche?

You didn't answer the question. Where did I cherry pick 2 games?

Roberts is not a significant offensive upgrade:

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tbody>[TR=class: full hl, bgcolor: #DDEEFF]

[TD=align: left]2014[/TD]

[TD=align: right]36[/TD]

[TD=align: left]NYY[/TD]

[TD=align: left]AL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]91[/TD]

[TD=align: right]348[/TD]

[TD=align: right]317[/TD]

[TD=align: right]40[/TD]

[TD=align: right]75[/TD]

[TD=align: right]16[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]21[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]28[/TD]

[TD=align: right]53[/TD]

[TD=align: right].237[/TD]

[TD=align: right].300[/TD]

[TD=align: right].360[/TD]

[TD=align: right].659[/TD]

[TD=align: right]85[/TD]

[TD=align: right]114[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: left]*4

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TD=align: right]22[/TD]

[TD=align: left]BAL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]87[/TD]

[TD=align: right]318[/TD]

[TD=align: right]301[/TD]

[TD=align: right]31[/TD]

[TD=align: right]65[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]8[/TD]

[TD=align: right]27[/TD]

[TD=align: right]73[/TD]

[TD=align: right].216[/TD]

[TD=align: right].253[/TD]

[TD=align: right].329[/TD]

[TD=align: right].582[/TD]

[TD=align: right]62[/TD]

[TD=align: right]99[/TD]

[TD=align: right]12[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[TD=align: left]*45[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Roberts is not a significant offensive upgrade:

[TD=align: right]36[/TD]

[TD=align: left]NYY[/TD]

[TD=align: right]91[/TD]

[TD=align: right]348[/TD]

[TD=align: right]317[/TD]

[TD=align: right]40[/TD]

[TD=align: right]75[/TD]

[TD=align: right]16[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]21[/TD]

[TD=align: right]28[/TD]

[TD=align: right]53[/TD]

[TD=align: right].237[/TD]

[TD=align: right].300[/TD]

[TD=align: right].360[/TD]

[TD=align: right].659[/TD]

[TD=align: right]85[/TD]

[TD=align: right]114[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9[/TD]

[TD=align: left]*4[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TD=align: right]22[/TD]

[TD=align: left]BAL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]87[/TD]

[TD=align: right]318[/TD]

[TD=align: right]301[/TD]

[TD=align: right]31[/TD]

[TD=align: right]65[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10[/TD]

[TD=align: right]27[/TD]

[TD=align: right]73[/TD]

[TD=align: right].216[/TD]

[TD=align: right].253[/TD]

[TD=align: right].329[/TD]

[TD=align: right].582[/TD]

[TD=align: right]62[/TD]

[TD=align: right]99[/TD]

[TD=align: right]12[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[TD=align: left]*45[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Droberbr01%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Add in his splits for last 14 and 28 days.

I really don't understand why Roberts' name has even come up given that Weeks and Lombardozzi are still with the organization. They are both worse defenders at 2B than Schoop/Flaherty, but they might be better with the bat. Weeks in particular has done a fantastic job getting on base in Norfolk (though he's dealing with a groin strain right now, I believe).

Of course, neither of those guys has been in the majors for a while, so what's that tell you about whether the O's are going to make a change at 2B?

I really don't understand why Roberts' name has even come up given that Weeks and Lombardozzi are still with the organization. They are both worse defenders at 2B than Schoop/Flaherty, but they might be better with the bat. Weeks in particular has done a fantastic job getting on base in Norfolk (though he's dealing with a groin strain right now, I believe).

Of course, neither of those guys has been in the majors for a while, so what's that tell you about whether the O's are going to make a change at 2B?

I am ready for another option.

I don't even want to consider Roberts. Schoop isn't hitting but I love what he does for our infield. Our defense is so good that it makes our subpar pitching staff look good.

Norris really could've given up a 5 spot yesterday with an average defense. Considering our pitching and defense was primarily responsible for winning series over Anaheim twice and getting 3/4 over Seattle, I don't want to replace a terrific middle infielder with an average- to below-average one.

In short I'd rather get .215-220 and Schoops defense the rest of the way than .240 and BRob's defense.

I don't even want to consider Roberts. Schoop isn't hitting but I love what he does for our infield. Our defense is so good that it makes our subpar pitching staff look good.

Norris really could've given up a 5 spot yesterday with an average defense. Considering our pitching and defense was primarily responsible for winning series over Anaheim twice and getting 3/4 over Seattle, I don't want to replace a terrific middle infielder with an average- to below-average one.

In short I'd rather get .215-220 and Schoops defense the rest of the way than .240 and BRob's defense.

We would have won last evening with a little offense from second base.

Horse Hockey.

If the replay didn't mess up on Jones in the 11th and called him out, then maybe the outcome is different.

You can play the what if game, all day.

What if they had offensive from anybody last night, the game would have been won.

On the other hand, the superb defense kept the other guys off the scoreboard until the 12th.

Pearce has a track record.....He's been a waiver guy the last few years because he can't stick.

Roberts is far from a lock to provide that offense.

And does Roberts make the plays that help keep the Angels off the board for 12 innings? Off the top of my head, there was the play off Pearce's glove, his throws from right field on grounders into the shift, the double plays he turned. Does B-Rob make all (or any?) of those plays?

All that said — I'm not happy with Schoop's production at the plate. But I definitely wouldn't replace him with Roberts. And because our overall defense dramatically improves our pitching staff, I don't want to get weaker defense at any position — unless it's supplanted with dramatic offensive increases.

Cruz

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dcruzne02%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Pearce

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dpearcst01%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Davis

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Ddavisch02%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Schoop

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dschoojo01%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

You are telling me that over the last week that Davis and Cruz have no hits and yet the Orioles have split with Seattle and won a series against the angels? I'm okay with that.

The orioles have been facing a murderers row of pitching lately. Things will come around. And given the numbers on Schoop I would say he's starting to adjust to some good pitching over the last week.

2014 fWAR for second basemen (sorted by defense, admittedly)

inbs6w.jpg

Schoop is 7th defensively among all qualifiers with far fewer games. "Per game" he's been one of the five best in baseball at the position.

Yes, he is a disaster offensively (dead last among all 2B), but Brian Roberts is near the bottom BOTH offensively and defensively. 7 runs below replacement at the plate, 4 runs below on defense.

He's not what we need at second base.

Archived