Gotta get help at the black hole at 2nd base

TouchemAll

I have no issue taking a look @ Brob on a flyer for one reason...

He actually looks at pitches and goes deep in at bats. People harp on his defense, but he played the entire second half last year and we did okay.

The O's were going to offer him a contract a little later in the offseason, but the Yankees swooped in.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, this isn't the time or place for the O's to be hoping Schoop improves. They're in the race now, not rebuilding. The guy is a train wreck at the plate. No, he's not the only guy struggling... But he has consistently struggled. He gets a lot of unfair crap, on account of the catcher spot being soft and Davis up and dying (if those spots hit, no one would even worry about Schoop), but it doesn't change the fact that he's been one of the worst offensive players in the league this year.

And one of the best defensively though. I guess as fans we have to take that into

consideration. Oh well glad it's not me having to make those decisions.

When you have to say someone isn't that bad, it doesn't help. They probably are that bad. I have nothing against Schoop, I just want an actual MLB 2B. If Schoop can start hitting at an OPS of .650 or higher he's fine by me.

Considering if he was a normal prospect he would have been playing in A- or A+ when he was in AA and AAA. His stats are rather remarkable, IMO. He could repeat AAA for 5 years before he becomes league average.

No chance that Bonifacio would have cost that much.

Bonifacio, Russell, and cash went to the Braves for Victor Caratini, an okay catching prospect in A ball.

I bet the Orioles could have had the same deal for Chance Sisco.

Sorry I didn't know that. But I thought I had read that they were asking for Kevin

and of course DD turned that down. Maybe I am misremembering.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fsplit.cgi%3Fid%3Dflahery01%26year%3D2014%26t%3Db&div=div_total"></script>

Exactly HOW is Flaherty an improvement?

Comparing numbers when you are dealing with 353 PA and 193, is a fools errand Just insufficient data. That being said Schoop 350 + PA this season is hitting 90 points lower than Flaherty has in his last 264. Flaherty has hit well for significant stretches over his time here. Schoop has yet to hit well at all. I'd bet on Flash.

Would Flaherty not have tripped and fell trying to get a ball that was in RF when he was already playing in a shift defensive alignment?

Listen, Schoop is great defensively, but let's not make Flaherty out to be a defensive liability. That's just being dishonest.

Let's not make Flaherty out to be a good with the bat in his hands. That's just being dishonest.

(he's at 583 right now, that is LOWER then 2012-2013, talk about regressing!)

You think Schoop isn't .008 points better with the glove this year?

I have no issue taking a look @ Brob on a flyer for one reason...

He actually looks at pitches and goes deep in at bats. People harp on his defense, but he played the entire second half last year and we did okay.

The O's were going to offer him a contract a little later in the offseason, but the Yankees swooped in.

I would just love to see some evidence to support that statement.

Comparing numbers when you are dealing with 353 PA and 193, is a fools errand Just insufficient data. That being said Schoop 350 + PA this season is hitting 90 points lower than Flaherty has in his last 264. Flaherty has hit well for significant stretches over his time here. Schoop has yet to hit well at all. I'd bet on Flash.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Ff%2Fflahery01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

Fine, let's use Flaherty's 3 years of stats. 631 pa's

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tfoot>[TR=class: stat_total]

[TD=align: right].216

[/TD]

[TD=align: right].277[/TD]

[TD=align: right].358[/TD]

[TD=align: right].635

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fs%2Fschoojo01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

Schoops 2 year stats 338 pa's

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tfoot>[TR=class: stat_total]

[TD=align: right].216

[/TD]

[TD=align: right].254[/TD]

[TD=align: right].332[/TD]

[TD=align: right].586[/TD]

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

When you have to say someone isn't that bad, it doesn't help. They probably are that bad. I have nothing against Schoop, I just want an actual MLB 2B. If Schoop can start hitting at an OPS of .650 or higher he's fine by me.

What if there are not currently 30 MLB quality second baseman in the world right now? SD has a guy at second with a 550 OPS. Obviously Roberts isn't up to snuff if he just got released and replaced by someone that hadn't played the position in more then a decade.

Ok, so who do we have that is a 100% improvement offensively without being a defensive liability?

No one. Hence my desire for the organization to try to acquire one. Right now, all of our internal options are detrimental to the team, Schoop included.

He plays good defense, yes, but he's far from a second coming. Hell, the Cubs just cut a guy that's arguably on par defensively in Barney.

No one. Hence my desire for the organization to try to acquire one. Right now, all of our internal options are detrimental to the team, Schoop included.

He plays good defense, yes, but he's far from a second coming. Hell, the Cubs just cut a guy that's arguably on par defensively in Barney.

Barney was traded.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-option-barney-20140730-story.html

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fb%2Fbarneda01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

They cant let Schoop play a whole season with an OPS below .600. Wouldnt that ruin his confidence? Now if he somehow manages to get hot and pull his OPS above .600, thats one thing. The team does have options. De Jesus and Flaherty can both probably put up better numbers than Schoop at this point. Buck must find his defense to be so much better than Flaherty's, to not give him or anyone else a chance.

Barney was traded.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-option-barney-20140730-story.html

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fb%2Fbarneda01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

OK, so they got a PTBNL for him. And he was actually producing a HIGHER OPS than Schoop.

Archived