Starters win games, bullpens win championships

jmehta

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry. That was his minor league numbers. Majors. 215 strikeouts in 207 innings.

Yea the one averaging 5.2 K/9 this year.

You could loan me a *care* and I could not find it in myself to give one *care* that he struck out 12/9 in 2012 once I saw what his 2014 K rate was.

So you'd rather have Jorden Walden on the mound over Zach Britton, game 7 of the WS up one run in the 9th inning?

Unless high leverage to you only means man on 3rd with less than 2 outs?

Maybe. Does Walden have any track record of handling the ninth? I like the man on third stuff by the way, but now. There are different high leverage scenarios.

For one batter? The guy who most recently has the highest K rate. Not historically. Like let's say...the last three months? (90 days). Yeah that is who I pick.

Relief pitching is the ultimate in baseball what have you done for me lately. Guys fall off cliffs and climb back up every season.

Relief pitching is the ultimate in baseball what have you done for me lately. Guys fall off cliffs and climb back up every season.

Unfortunately. And I might even pick Darren O'Day. He's been pretty good for a pretty long time now.

A few posts ago it wasn't debatable. Now, when I ask if you'd prefer to have Zach Britton (55 IP 48 K's .88 WHIP) or Jordan Walden (33 IP, 46 K's, 1.24 WHIP), you don't seem so sure. Maybe?

Well, Walden is right handed with a 30% GB rate this season, and Britton is left handed with a GB% over 70% so it would depend on the situation. If there was a right handed fly ball hitter I would want Walden, against a left handed ground ball guy I would want Britton.

The original premise for having the higher K pitcher on the mound was a lot more general than what you are talking about.

In a general sense more strikeouts are superior to less strikeouts.

Of course once you look deeper it changes. I just made the scenario more specific then you did.

Maybe. Does Walden have any track record of handling the ninth? I like the man on third stuff by the way, but now. There are different high leverage scenarios.

!! He was the Angels' closer not that long ago. 32 Saves in 2011.

A few posts ago it wasn't debatable. Now, when I ask if you'd prefer to have Zach Britton (55 IP 48 K's .88 WHIP) or Jordan Walden (33 IP, 46 K's, 1.24 WHIP), you don't seem so sure. Maybe?

It's debatable.

There was a good reason the A's traded for JJ when they already had Cook, Doolittle, etc. They expected him to keep batters beating the ball into the dirt in front of the plate. they were willing to forgo the Ks for a guy who allowed poor contact. Buck seemed to prefer that to the possibility of Tommy Hunter giving up the longballs. Things are never so neatly organized as they appear on stat sheets. Plus, no two managers read those stats the same way.

btw: I keep reading about JJ's "terrible peripherals." Besides the lower than average K/9, what other peripherals were so "terrible" between 2011 - 2013?

• 1 month later...

Archived