It is no fun watching Chris Davis

Specman

An interesting comment heard on The Fan today was that Showalter keeps putting Chris Davis in the line up hoping he will soon get a hit or contribute offensively.

Chris Davis has been on a long and steady decline and has not shown any signs of turning things around. He is now down to .196. 0 for his last 12 ABs . His MO is taking a called third strike or hitting directly into the shift. I know he has a lot of defenders out there in Oriole land, but the hard reality is that professional sports is a "what have you done for me lately" business. He and fans are still caught up in last season.

Every 6-7 games when Davis does get a hit everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says he is finally showing signs of breaking out.

Twice Showalter has pinch hit Davis for Delmon Young which is why I guess Buck gets the big bucks. No, Davis did not produce either time.

It also looks like AL pitchers have figured out Nelson Cruz too as he has been mired in a horrific slump. This team is not scoring runs and you cannot expect the pitchers to keep holding the opposition to 2-3 runs per game.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An interesting comment heard on The Fan today was that Showalter keeps putting Chris Davis in the line up hoping he will soon get a hit or contribute offensively.

Chris Davis has been on a long and steady decline and has not shown any signs of turning things around. He is now down to .196. 0 for his last 12 ABs . His MO is taking a called third strike or hitting directly into the shift. I know he has a lot of defenders out there in Oriole land, but the hard reality is that professional sports is a "what have you done for me lately" business. He and fans are still caught up in last season.

Every 6-7 games when Davis does get a hit everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says he is finally showing signs of breaking out.

Twice Showalter has pinch hit Davis for Delmon Young which is why I guess Buck gets the big bucks. No, Davis did not produce either time.

It also looks like AL pitchers have figured out Nelson Cruz too as he has been mired in a horrific slump. This team is not scoring runs and you cannot expect the pitchers to keep holding the opposition to 2-3 runs per game.

Nellie is going to right the ship soon, he has a track record. We have to hope CD does too.

The problem is that there aren't any other alternatives right now. Put quite frankly, the only people hitting right now the non-regulars: Lough and Young. The only regulars hitting? Machado and Joseph. And sometimes Markakis.

That's it.

Davis is awful. Cruz is awful. Jones ran into a few homers since the ASB, but he's largely been bad. Hardy isn't driving anything. Schoop is epically terrible. Pearce is awful.

Approach is a big problem right now, too. That goes on Presley, IMHO.

Neither is Jones. Or Cruz. Or Markakis. Or Hardy. Or Schoop. Basically everyone besides Manny has been down right awful lately. Lineup tomorrow:

Markakis

Machado

Jones

Davis

Pearce

Hardy

Flaherty

Joseph

Lough

Schoop shouldn't see the light of day the rest of the season unless a lefty is on the mound.

Neither is Jones. Or Cruz. Or Markakis. Or Hardy. Or Schoop. Basically everyone besides Manny has been down right awful lately. Lineup tomorrow:

Markakis

Machado

Jones

Davis

Pearce

Hardy

Flaherty

Joseph

Lough

Schoop shouldn't see the light of day the rest of the season unless a lefty is on the mound.

Doesn't Schoop hit righties better than lefties?

It's not fun watching any of them hit right now. Davis has been bad, but Cruz has been just as bad if not worse recently. I'm beginning to think some of them need a day off, not what you want to hear entering the teeth of a playoff push, but Hardy, Cruz, Markakis, even Jones need a day off. It ran them down last year, and I worry it's going to do it again.

This is trite and trivial I know, but it often looks like it's just about keeping the head in and following the ball through the strike zone. Tonight's late inning hits by Machado and Markakis were picture perfect examples of seeing the ball hit the bat. Whereas Cruz was looking into the left field seats as he swung at a ball a foot out of the zone.

It seems like every well-hit ball that we hit the head is down, and every pathetic-looking strike that we give the other team, the head is nowhere near the flight of the ball. Call me crazy, but this drives me crazy more than any statistic of this team.

Aside from 5 AB's, Nelson Cruz has spent 10 years in the AL. It took them 10 years to figure him out? Cruz was on fire, and he's normalizing back to his career slash of .267/.328/.499 slash line. He's already been surplus value, and expecting him to be the guy he was in April/May and early June is nutty.

Aside from 5 AB's, Nelson Cruz has spent 10 years in the AL. It took them 10 years to figure him out? Cruz was on fire, and he's normalizing back to his career slash of .267/.328/.499 slash line. He's already been surplus value, and expecting him to be the guy he was in April/May and early June is nutty.
Also expecting him to continue to hit under.700 OPS is equally nutty.

Archived