In house 2B options

LookitsPuck

Well you said he had the worst offensive first half in the history of Orioles starters but Schoop has been far worse. That's what I was referring too. His numbers at the plate at the break last year were much better than Jon's.

While Flaherty may not pan out if given the starters job, I don't see him being any worse than Schoop offensively. He's also no slouch defensively. I don't believe Schoop has had a better offensive month season than Flaherty's overall OPS last season. Flaherty's also shown the ability to have outstanding months and endings to the season. There's 2 months left now. If he could have a .750 OPS the rest of the way that would help the team tremendously. If not, there's no harm in letting him start, you can also just let Schoop start again.

The difference, in my humble opinion, is that Schoop, at 21, will get significantly better and will certainly hit for average to above average power. Flaherty is what you see.

I base this on the scouting reports.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you said he had the worst offensive first half in the history of Orioles starters but Schoop has been far worse. That's what I was referring too. His numbers at the plate at the break last year were much better than Jon's.

While Flaherty may not pan out if given the starters job, I don't see him being any worse than Schoop offensively. He's also no slouch defensively. I don't believe Schoop has had a better offensive month season than Flaherty's overall OPS last season. Flaherty's also shown the ability to have outstanding months and endings to the season. There's 2 months left now. If he could have a .750 OPS the rest of the way that would help the team tremendously. If not, there's no harm in letting him start, you can also just let Schoop start again.

I stand corrected. What I meant to say was that Flaherty in 2013 had the worst offensive 53 games to open a season of any starter in Oriole history. In my opinion, Ryan Flaherty has been and will be a sub .220 hitter who can play different infield positions more than adequately. And that is what he will be whether he plays all 162 games or 52 games.

The difference, in my humble opinion, is that Schoop, at 21, will get significantly better and will certainly hit for average to above average power. Flaherty is what you see.

I base this on the scouting reports.

That's just the thing though. Schoop has done just the opposite this year. He doesn't make hard contact and each of his AB's are like a running joke.

The Problem is only Dejesus has credible defense. The others don't and Scope is rated by the Fielding Bible as 4th best in MLB in RS among 2B, behind Pedroia, Kinsler, and D.J. LeMahieu. His DP % is the best of all of them. Those 3 have DP % ranging from .650 to .730. Schoop is .797. He is truly exceptional at turning DP and I am sure that's why Buck puts up with his terrible bat. I would go with a platoon a Flash and Dejesus myself, but I don't think Buck will.

There are options but as you point out none of them other than DeJesus are credible from a defensive aspect. Considering the modest at best upgrade any of them would bring offensively, its not worth chancing the decrease in defensive play that would be seen.

If there is one criticism I have DD its not addressing the 2B position in a credible way during the offseason. Schoop should have been at AAA this season, he had not shown enough in the minors to think he could carry the position. Flaherty has shown he cant hit, 3 seasons now, never hit above .230, Week, Lombo and company all were defensive liabilities.

There are options but as you point out none of them other than DeJesus are credible from a defensive aspect. Considering the modest at best upgrade any of them would bring offensively, its not worth chancing the decrease in defensive play that would be seen.

If there is one criticism I have DD its not addressing the 2B position in a credible way during the offseason. Schoop should have been at AAA this season, he had not shown enough in the minors to think he could carry the position. Flaherty has shown he cant hit, 3 seasons now, never hit above .230, Week, Lombo and company all were defensive liabilities.

Who was available? The Yankees ended up with Roberts for goodness sake. There is a shortage of quality MLB second basemen right now.

Who was available? The Yankees ended up with Roberts for goodness sake. There is a shortage of quality MLB second basemen right now.

Still think you would have been better off getting a guy like Bonafacio or Barney (not specifically but that type) via trade who could have allowed you to keep Schoop in the minors to keep developing. I guess Weeks, DeJesus, Lombo were moves meant to provide options but Buck values defense far to much to realistically think that they would see much time. Credible was the wrong word, I just think the types of guys DD would have been better off getting were defensive types even if they were light hitting.

Its kind of nit picking DD, he does very little I do not like. Heading into ST with the crew of 2B we did was one of them. I think Schoop will be a decent player but this season he should have been in AAA not on the MLB team

Still think you would have been better off getting a guy like Bonafacio or Barney (not specifically but that type) via trade who could have allowed you to keep Schoop in the minors to keep developing. I guess Weeks, DeJesus, Lombo were moves meant to provide options but Buck values defense far to much to realistically think that they would see much time. Credible was the wrong word, I just think the types of guys DD would have been better off getting were defensive types even if they were light hitting.

Its kind of nit picking DD, he does very little I do not like. Heading into ST with the crew of 2B we did was one of them. I think Schoop will be a decent player but this season he should have been in AAA not on the MLB team

Like I said, the O's are not the only team sending out a sub-optimal choice at second on a day to day basis.

While everyone bemoans the awful hitting, let's at least note that Schoop and Flaherty are playing fantastic defense. During this 16-game AL West streak both have been making important, difficult plays almost every game.

My feeling is that no matter what option we plug at 2B, hitting won't be strong. So at least with what we've got we are helping our staff save runs in these close ball games.

I would bring up Lombardozzi and call it a day. It doesn't matter who starts between Flaherty and Schoop, it's a black hole at the plate regardless. Then in a month, they'll all be up regardless.

The numbers suggest he's a below-average fielder.

Just a question — what would he have to hit to make up for what he gives away to Schoop/Flaherty defensively?

It could be primacy-recency effect, but given the O's recent hot streak of low-scoring victories — I'm not keen on giving away the runs that our current 2Bs save us.

Archived