Don't Look Now but Joseph Might be a Better a Catcher for the Orioles...

itscbm5042

You are correct that they've shown a lot of support for Joseph over Hundley and Clevenger. However, I think Wieters is a different case. If anything, Wieters will get the nod due to his service on the team. Also, they may want to move Matt and his value drops significantly if he's giving way to Joseph.

Oh, I think Wieters will get his job back next year, but don't be surprised if the Orioles don't go crazy over resigning him the price gets too high!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, "snap throws" implies something completely different than the normal "catch and throw". If he can't catch and throw, then he won't catch. That's pretty simple. Sounds like your concern is that he may be less effective at throwing. Who knows.

But a "snap throw" is basically the same motion as a typical "catch and throw." It's just done quicker due to different lower body movements. Will he be able to get his elbow behind his ear and delivery as quickly and accurately as he has in the past? That's the big question.

But a "snap throw" is basically the same motion as a typical "catch and throw." It's just done quicker due to different lower body movements. Will he be able to get his elbow behind his ear and delivery as quickly and accurately as he has in the past? That's the big question.

It's still different but I get your point and know what you mean. Maybe he just shouldn't make throws like that anymore. I wonder sometimes if that is what got him hurt.

I'm ready to go all-in with Caleb at this point, with Clevenger as the backup catcher. Wieters and Boras are too expensive and don't give us anything in return. I think letting Wieters walk is fine, but obviously when we're letting go of a team asset, we want to get as much for him as possible, so if a trade can happen, I say go for it.

SSS or not, Caleb looks great. Wieters might never be productive with the bat again, and even if he is, it'll likely be after he has become a free agent. I'll take the known quantity under team control and cheap, over the unknown that can't wait to walk out the door for a bigger paycheck.

I'm ready to go all-in with Caleb at this point, with Clevenger as the backup catcher. Wieters and Boras are too expensive and don't give us anything in return. I think letting Wieters walk is fine, but obviously when we're letting go of a team asset, we want to get as much for him as possible, so if a trade can happen, I say go for it.

SSS or not, Caleb looks great. Wieters might never be productive with the bat again, and even if he is, it'll likely be after he has become a free agent. I'll take the known quantity under team control and cheap, over the unknown that can't wait to walk out the door for a bigger paycheck.

I never thought I would say this but :agree: in fact I am not too sure we should not shop him to see what we can get in return next year.

Oh, I think Wieters will get his job back next year, but don't be surprised if the Orioles don't go crazy over resigning him the price gets too high!

I am all for trading Matt. I like him but don't love anything about him. I never have. Good player, great guy, but overrated to me. We've ridden him very hard and Boras is a problem. Unless they really think Matt/Davis work as 1B/DH (in whatever order) I'd move Wieters for some prospects and/or a good MLB OF. I could see letting him catch next year, tagging him, and getting the pick but I wouldn't wait. I like Joseph and Hundley a lot and the org has done well adding catchers in the minors.

I am all for trading Matt. I like him but don't love anything about him. I never have. Good player, great guy, but overrated to me. We've ridden him very hard and Boras is a problem. Unless they really think Matt/Davis work as 1B/DH (in whatever order) I'd move Wieters for some prospects and/or a good MLB OF. I could see letting him catch next year, tagging him, and getting the pick but I wouldn't wait. I like Joseph and Hundley a lot and the org has done well adding catchers in the minors.

Clevenger is not good enough defensively to catch at the major league level. IMO.

Ohlman didn't impress me at Bowie either.

Sisco sounds like the real deal, but he is probably 2+ years out.

Archived