Don't Look Now but Joseph Might be a Better a Catcher for the Orioles...

itscbm5042

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been saying for a few weeks now that I'm in full favor of having Joseph as the starting catcher next year. Throwing out over half of steal attempts, #1 in the league in framing pitches and provide a solid but not great bat is more than enough for me considering the salary. I believe you can get a solid return for MW this offseason plus free up a ton of money to get another FA. To me, it makes a lot of sense.

I have Joseph at 1.7 WAR through 50 games. That's 5.1 WAR through 150 game season. Matt's WAR last year was 1.3 through 140 games, for reference

Where did you get that from?

fWAR .8

rWAR 1.3 (the rWAR has jumped considerably in the last couple days)

And do you really think he is going to catch 150 games next season?

No catcher has appeared in 150 games (not necessarily catching) since 2000.

Wieters and Davis are both Free Agents after next year. There has been some arguments about only keeping 1 of the 2 (because of the $$$). Should the Orioles consider letting Davis walk (trade or Comp pick) and signing Wieters - with the intention of moving Wieters to First Base? Wieters has always been a guy that, given his size, would probably have to move from Catching at some point. He was really starting to hit with authority this year, and without the daily stress of catching (both physically and mentally) could he be that consistent MOO bat we've been looking for? With Joseph starting to hit and being so effective defensively (thus far) - this might be the time to consider it.

Joseph reminds me of a young Rick Dempsey.

If Joseph were all that young, I'd agree. Really think comparing the two is rather silly given the body of both players' work. Like Joseph. Think he'll hit better than he was; in fact, he already is hitting better. But, he's no Matt Wieters and being cheap doesn't make him better than Wieters.

Wieters and Davis are both Free Agents after next year. There has been some arguments about only keeping 1 of the 2 (because of the $$$). Should the Orioles consider letting Davis walk (trade or Comp pick) and signing Wieters - with the intention of moving Wieters to First Base? Wieters has always been a guy that, given his size, would probably have to move from Catching at some point. He was really starting to hit with authority this year, and without the daily stress of catching (both physically and mentally) could he be that consistent MOO bat we've been looking for? With Joseph starting to hit and being so effective defensively (thus far) - this might be the time to consider it.

Good thought but I don't think Wieters has the lateral quickness needed to play that position at the level Buck and the O's demand.

If Joseph were all that young, I'd agree. Really think comparing the two is rather silly given the body of both players' work. Like Joseph. Think he'll hit better than he was; in fact, he already is hitting better. But, he's no Matt Wieters and being cheap doesn't make him better than Wieters.

Caleb is less then a month younger then Matt.

This is one of the most thoughtful threads that Ive seen posted here in a long time. It's really great that we are even considering Joseph and Wieters in the same discussion. Who would have thought this a few months ago? Joseph is way better than even the Os thought he was and given the opportunity to play has shown everyone that Joseph is a competent MLB catcher. Wieters just may be a first baseman in 2015.

This is one of the most thoughtful threads that Ive seen posted here in a long time. It's really great that we are even considering Joseph and Wieters in the same discussion. Who would have thought this a few months ago? Joseph is way better than even the Os thought he was and given the opportunity to play has shown everyone that Joseph is a competent MLB catcher. Wieters just may be a first baseman in 2015.

He has been playing way better. Fifty games isn't really long enough to be definitive about his future projection.

Disagree. I think if this team goes and wins the WS, it'll be because the offense woke up.

This isn't a bad offensive team, just facing some tough pitching, but still, only 19th out of 30 for last 7 games.

It would help, if Davis and/or Cruz would get out of their slumps, for sure.

Yes they did, 30 years ago (give or take Ken Singleton). Do you think a 2015 O's team can accumulate as much pitching WAR as the '83 team did?

Let me direct you to this:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-stars-and-scrubs-problem/

Our forecasted standings based on the Steamer data (ZIPS will be included once all the team projections are finished) have the Orioles as a 78 win team, 10 wins behind the Red Sox and in last place in the AL East

And then ... Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti strike a note.

But it could make him more valuable than Matt Wieters. Which is really what you are looking for, what players bring you the most value.

Archived