Don't Look Now but Joseph Might be a Better a Catcher for the Orioles...

itscbm5042

In retrospect, I sort of wish they had kept Wieters this year as a DH option instead of getting him surgery. But I'm sure Boras would never go for that.

But they should seriously consider some sort of platoon between Wieters and Joseph next year with Wieters maybe DHing against lefty pitchers. I'd like something beyond the once a week start (that typical backup catchers get) for Joseph next season.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In retrospect, I sort of wish they had kept Wieters this year as a DH option instead of getting him surgery. But I'm sure Boras would never go for that.

But they should seriously consider some sort of platoon between Wieters and Joseph next year with Wieters maybe DHing against lefty pitchers. I'd like something beyond the once a week start (that typical backup catchers get) for Joseph next season.

I think they should split the starts at catcher, with Wieters and D. Young platooning at DH.

Boras or no Boras it would have been a terrible choice for Wieters' future to postpone the surgery.

JJL-cj.jpg

Even if Joseph's WAR is less than Wieters, and I don't believe that will stay true, the fact that the staff ERA is noticeably lower and he passes the eye test - he makes great calls, and the pitchers are staying low and hitting the corners more - is the biggestthing to me. He is making the whole pitching staff better and as good as we thought Wieters was defensively he is just as good and is still improving his offense at the major league level. He is a better catcher even if Wieters MIGHT be a better player. Keep Joseph, trade Wieters, allocate money elsewhere and the team will be better for it.

Even if Joseph's WAR is less than Wieters, and I don't believe that will stay true, the fact that the staff ERA is noticeably lower and he passes the eye test - he makes great calls, and the pitchers are staying low and hitting the corners more - is the biggestthing to me. He is making the whole pitching staff better and as good as we thought Wieters was defensively he is just as good and is still improving his offense at the major league level. He is a better catcher even if Wieters MIGHT be a better player. Keep Joseph, trade Wieters, allocate money elsewhere and the team will be better for it.

So he is improving their command? How does a catcher get credit for the pitcher hitting his spots? You are going above and beyond simple framing here.

He is a better catcher even if Wieters MIGHT be a better player. Keep Joseph, trade Wieters, allocate money elsewhere and the team will be better for it.

Is there one team in baseball that would trade Matt Wieters, injured and all, for Caleb Joseph, even up?

What I'm saying is he is making better calls at the plate, the pitchers are hitting the spot, he is just calling it. I guess it comes down to: "do you think that Joseph manages the staff better than Wieters?" and I say...yes.

Oh so you think Matt has been calling center cut fastballs all these years? :rolleyes:

So he is improving their command? How does a catcher get credit for the pitcher hitting his spots? You are going above and beyond simple framing here.

I've heard enough crap about Wieters intangibles and value over the years that I would not care if people referred to Joseph as the Father of Jesus.

I don't know about making better calls, but he very simply do to his physical size better at setting a low target.

I think this is obvious. Wieters struggles to set a low target (because he is huge for a catcher). He often back hands low pitches (thumb down) which causes his glove to pull out of the strike zone and get strikes called balls.

You couple the better pitch framing with Wieters lost arm strength (at least initially) and I think Caleb will clearly be the better defensive catcher next year.

Who knows what you get with Wieters as a hitter next year

I've heard enough crap about Wieters intangibles and value over the years that I would not care if people referred to Joseph as the Father of Jesus.

I think it is a great story and great for the team that he is playing well.

This is still a 28 year old rookie who spent parts of four seasons in AA and was turned into a part time minor league catcher last season.

I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

Archived