vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/05

OFFNY

Nice job there, Mr. Hardy. Too bad you couldn't repeat yesterday.

I don't mind that he made an out, but I do mind that he swung at the first pitch in that particular situation.

In addition to having already thrown 18 pitches and having the bases loaded, Buehrle had just walked Nelson Cruz on 5 pitches. He (Buehrle) was on the ropes, his pitch-count was up, and he had just shown that he had trouble throwing strikes to the previous batter.

7 or 8 times out of 10, I'm not particularly critical of the Orioles batters being aggressive, and swinging at the first pitch. They are an aggressive team, they hit a lot of home runs, and I generally defer to them in terms of their judgment of whether or not they should try to tee off on the first pitch of their plate appearances.

But in this particular case, I am particularly critical (for the reasons that I stated above.)

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Innings like that drive my crazy, especially when we're struggling offensively. But..... we have shown the ability to score the second and third time through the lineup. I'll just keep telling myself that and take some of this Xanax here...

Archived