ERod

webbrick2010

<iframe src='http://www.milb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36208957&width=400&height=224&property=milb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

<iframe src='http://www.milb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36208917&width=400&height=224&property=milb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/09/13/red-sox-minor-league-roundup-rusney-castillo-makes-his-mark-eduardo-rodriguez-trade-deadline-steal/

One evaluator on Eduardo Rodriguez, the 21-year-old left-hander whom the Red Sox acquired at the trade deadline for left-hander Andrew Miller: ?Steal of the trade deadline?I know Miller is doing great in Baltimore, but this kid will make that trade look real bad.?

Rodriguez made his Triple-A debut on Friday after 35 Double-A starts (in the Orioles? and Sox? systems) over the last year and a half. He matched a season-high with seven innings in which he allowed six hits (a double and five singles) while walking two and punching out six. He threw 63 of 104 pitches (61 percent) for strikes, including seven that resulted in swings and misses.

In eight starts since joining the Sox, Rodriguez is 3-1 with a 1.41 ERA, 51 strikeouts and 12 walks in 51 innings, with stuff as impressive as the results. Rodriguez has regularly touched as high as 96 mph in his outings, working comfortably at 92-94 mph. He has a changeup that grades as a 60-65 on the 50-80 scouting scale (meaning well above-average), and his slider flashes the potential to be a plus pitch.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time, I believed the trade was the right move. I just can't believe how good EdRod looked since he was dealt. Wow. Lights out. I don't remember that dominant a fastball (sitting 92-94?).

I always like EdRod because I liked the change up, but it's horrifying to think about him becoming dominant. I did not see this coming.

I mean, his Whip went from 1.4 with us to 1.02 with them. Craaaazy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rodrig006edu

Was he injured for us? Was he holding back?

At the time, I believed the trade was the right move. I just can't believe how good EdRod looked since he was dealt. Wow. Lights out. I don't remember that dominant a fastball (sitting 92-94?).

I always like EdRod because I liked the change up, but it's horrifying to think about him becoming dominant. I did not see this coming.

Why would it be horrifying now if you liked the deal when it was made? You make a deal and you move forward. You don't get upset when someone you traded does well. If you were always second guessing yourself you would never make any deals. But because Miller is dominating in the Majors and Erod is pitching in AA I hardly think you can evaluate the trade at this time as being bad.

Why would it be horrifying now if you liked the deal when it was made? You make a deal and you move forward. You don't get upset when someone you traded does well. If you were always second guessing yourself you would never make any deals. But because Miller is dominating in the Majors and Erod is pitching in AA I hardly think you can evaluate the trade at this time as being bad.

This is how I've felt since we made the deal. You only get so many chances to win a championship. When you get that chance, you do everything you can to take advantage. Duquette added Hundley, Miller, DeAza, Paredes, and Johnson. All have contributed. I can't worry about whether the players we gave up for them do better. I've just got to continue rooting for the players here now to keep doing well.

Come back and discuss this when he has done something productive in the big leagues. Until he has any success at the major league level there is no discussion and Miller has been lights out

What we do know is that he wasn't that dominant pitcher when he was traded, so him blowing up is something we shouldn't use in evaluating the trade. And the only reason I'll be rooting against him is because he's Red Sox - not because the O's traded him.

What we do know is that he wasn't that dominant pitcher when he was traded, so him blowing up is something we shouldn't use in evaluating the trade. And the only reason I'll be rooting against him is because he's Red Sox - not because the O's traded him.

I really don't understand this logic. EdRod was in our organization for many years and to believe that he is a more valuable prospect a month after trading him does not reflect well on our talent evaluators, talent developers or trade negotiators or a combination of them. Miller is not worth the EdRod we see pitching for the BoSox.

The Red Sox gave up Hanley Ramirez to bolster their team for their World Series runs. Do their fans regret losing Hanley Ramirez or did they appreciate winning the World Series?

The year the Red Sox won the World Series, Hanley Ramirez posted a .948 OPS at age 23. I think it's seriously possible that the Red Sox would have fared better by keeping Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez. However, those aren't really comparable to the Miller deal. Josh Beckett was 25 at the time of that trade and under team control for two more years. Miller's gone when this season ends. He improves our team for 2014, but not by that much IMO, because our bullpen was good before he got here.

I really don't understand this logic. EdRod was in our organization for many years and to believe that he is a more valuable prospect a month after trading him does not reflect well on our talent evaluators, talent developers or trade negotiators or a combination of them. Miller is not worth the EdRod we see pitching for the BoSox.

You can disagree- but you not understanding the logic isn't understandable. By all reports, his fastball added a few MPH's right after he was traded. I'm not sure how anyone could have predicted that - especially considering he didn't pitch particularly well this season or last season with the O's organization.

Certainly would be nice to have contingency trades, where you get to even things up later on when someone in the deal has a massive step change in performance. Well, it would be nice when the guy you dealt suddenly looks better than he ever did in the entire time he was in your organization.

Certainly would be nice to have contingency trades, where you get to even things up later on when someone in the deal has a massive step change in performance. Well, it would be nice when the guy you dealt suddenly looks better than he ever did in the entire time he was in your organization.

Do you miss ol' Jake too Drungo? ;)

You can disagree- but you not understanding the logic isn't understandable. By all reports, his fastball added a few MPH's right after he was traded. I'm not sure how anyone could have predicted that - especially considering he didn't pitch particularly well this season or last season with the O's organization.

You posted that a prospect's performance post-trade is not something that should be used in evaluating a trade. I don't understand that.

Maybe EdRod ate some magic beans to gain some additional mph on his fastball .... That our FO/minor league coaches should not be responsible for whatever has happened to make EdRod look like an excellent pitching prospect is not an appropriate conclusion for me.

A couple thoughts on this.

1. This is what happens when the Red Sox or Yankees get a top 100 prospect. They get the hype and are now a super prospect. You have Gammons hyping him in tweets. Rosenthal picks up on that. Classic hype sox and yanks hype.

2. Why couldn't Ed Rod pitch like this in Bowie? He was having nagging injuries. Motivation knowing that the MLB rotation is wide open? Change of scenery? Wish that Griffin could have got a hold of him at Norfolk.

3. Andrew Miller. We weren't like Oakland and gave up our clean up hitter for a rental ace. Instead we realized that we had a bunch of 6 inning pitchers. With having O'day and Britton we just needed that one more dominant guy to bridge the gap. We made a risky move to try and win the division/WS and didn't deplete our future.

4. With the success of Arrieta, Hader, and now Ed Rod, our pitching prospects are going to be valued higher in other teams opinions for potential trades.

5. SSS. But after watching Ed Rod start in the AFL championship game he basically came off as a sinker/slider lefty. And the slider was kind of sweeping. Unless something changes, RH will prevent him from being a TOR starter. So he is what we thought he was. A 4/5 starter or potential reliever.

Archived