The new(ish) era of celebratory MLB antics after every hit

InsideCoroner

It really struck me after watching recent games against the Angels, Nats and Jays just how annoying the habit is for major leaguers to celebrate each and every modest achievement. It's been on the rise in recent years, and some players are known for being, um, "exuberant", but it seems that with some teams it's practically an epidemic.

I get it when someone comes up big with a homer or clutch hit to drive in the go-ahead run, but to see a guy pull up at first base and then either make some familiar, leering gesture to his teammates in the dugout, or point skyward in thanks to Jah or the Goodyear blimp guy or some dead relative just rubs me the wrong way. "Aunt Gladys, this mis-played bloop single was all for you. Five more runs, and we're back in this thing!"

I know, maybe I'm a curmudgeon in that aspect. But it sure makes me glad that the Orioles save such displays for homers or walk-offs. Base hit, Kirby fist-bump, and on to the next batter. Thanks for keeping it classy, Baltimore.

I think it's all very dorky, but it doesn't get me fired up or anything. I was thinking about the late innings last night and the first base umpire was challenged three times. He was vindicated on the last two. I hate when umpires try to make themselves part of the game, but I'd give an exception to this. If an ump is challenged, and he is proven right, he should be able to strut in front of the dugout and do some kind of catch move -- like Degeneration X from WWE way back when.

They were talking about this the other day on the radio. One guy said that "antics" was an effective way of drawing the younger crowd in so they would have interest in baseball and a renewed fanbase for the sport. Sadly, there is probably some truth to it.

They were talking about this the other day on the radio. One guy said that "antics" was an effective way of drawing the younger crowd in so they would have interest in baseball and a renewed fanbase for the sport. Sadly, there is probably some truth to it.

I saw the intros to a Little League game tonight, and one of the kids' favorite players was Rodney. D'oh.

I saw the intros to a Little League game tonight, and one of the kids' favorite players was Rodney. D'oh.

I know Rodney is having a great year, but I was fine with them not signing him in the off-season. I really couldn't stomach watching him play Cupid on the mound at OPACY.

Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a pitcher (who is also an avid Civil War re-enactment enthusiast in the off-season) loading and firing an invisible musket after each strikeout. Pouring the powder, loading the minie ball, stuffing it in with a ramrod, affixing a firing cap, and pulling the trigger. Even though it would take half a minute, at least it would be original.

I am so old school, which is why I don't have much tolerance for any of this junk.

I love the old quote by Vince Lombardi to the rookie who made his first touchdown. Son, act like you have been there before.

I understand some celebration for extremely key/pivotal moments when you have won the game.

But sacking the QB and then celebrating like you won the SB, and you are down by 14 points, doesn't make much horse sense.

I know Rodney is having a great year, but I was fine with them not signing him in the off-season. I really couldn't stomach watching him play Cupid on the mound at OPACY.

I don't believe there was much interest in him from around the majors, this past off-season. I think his reemergence has caught most people by surprise.

And they say DD is the only GM dumpster diving. :)

I'm sure some of it is part habitual superstitious action like pointing to the sky. Or teammates cheering each other on by looking to the dugout for approval and support. Why not celebrate something that's accomplished less than 3 out 10 times? I don't see the issue.

Archived