Baseball Reference vs The Baseball Cube

KLINE

I much prefer B-R.

Way too many popups on TBC - in fact I never visit the site primarily for that reason. I also like that B-R has many more stats available (unless TBC has been updated lately).

I'm shocked that someone would find TBC easier to use.

I think my feelings developed due to years of dial up. It loads faster.

Now that BB-ref has minor league numbers, gamelogs and splits going back to the 50s, and it's still a site with few ads and a good user interface I'm not sure why anyone would prefer The Cube. I guess it's nice that they list minor league numbers and major league numbers on the same page, but that's really the only advantage I see.

BB cube for young players because it combines MiL and ML numbers and provides a lot of the relevant numbers in an easy to format like K/9 and BB/9, GB%, HR rate. BTW, don't people have pop-up blockers? You can get them free.

Fangraphs to look up an established contemporary player's stats, because they have the stats you want to look for. Fangraphs is the best baseball site there is for current info.

B-ref is for research, team searches, comparing players, looking at career numbers, getting a feel for age and leagues when looking at MiL players, minor league systems, etc. B-ref's P-I is awesome.

Baseball Cube is kinda sketchy at times. Sometimes the website is just kooky.

Baseball reference is laid out way better but doesn't include OPS stats for MLB stats. If they did that, BR wins hands down. Now it just slightly edges out BC.

B-R has OPS... it's in the "Special Batting" section.

I concur with Drungo. Now that baseball-reference has minor league stats, I'm hoping it'll become my go-to site. I'd been using baseball cube ONLY because of the minor league stats. Baseball cube has A LOT of mistakes.

I once read an Orioles blog that used baseball cube as it's source for info. This blogger wrote a long article about how the Orioles weren't developing players (okay so far, right?). There were a couple paragraphs about how Tim Raines Jr and Darnell McDonald were out of baseball after 2002. Meanwhile, McDonald was on the O's 25-man roster. I'm assuming the O's move from Rochester to Ottawa was too much for baseball cube to handle.

Needless to say, I didn't visit that blog again. If it was yours, sorry... but don't trust baseball cube (and don't start an Orioles website unless you know the Orioles).

Archived