Gonzalez optioned to Norfolk

mdbdotcom

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? He isn't going to stay down.

I think the thing is no matter what the move, September 1 is only 3 weeks away. Temporary move however you look at it. As long as a player is in the organization by August 31 they are eligible for playoffs. Wieters and Johan Santana open up 2 roster moves for playoffs even if players are in the minors on August 31.

Why? He isn't going to stay down.

I think the issue is people are questioning a move that sends down a guy who just had a clutch start and now will have to stay at least 10 days barring injury. McFarland or Brach both would have been options with MGon going to the pen.

That way, if this is a bad start for Ubaldo then you plug Miggy back in right away.

I think the issue is people are questioning a move that sends down a guy who just had a clutch start and now will have to stay at least 10 days barring injury. McFarland or Brach both would have been options with MGon going to the pen.

That way, if this is a bad start for Ubaldo then you plug Miggy back in right away.

I suspect Buck wants to keep Gonzo starting in case he needs him as a starter due to another starter's injury or ineffectiveness.

I think they want to keep Miguel on a 5 day schedule.

All true but we have an off day on Thursday, Jimenez could be skipped if we wanted to. I am sure they have a plan. Who knows, maybe Miggy stays down 10 days then it's someone else like Gausman for 10 days. All 6 starters will be options by September 1.

I figured Miquel to lose his spot in rotation with Jiminez coming back. It was either him or Chen but Chen was the only left handed. I guess they want him to keep starting so if someone goes down with injury he could step right back into the rotation. Jimenez should really the one going down but he doesn't have options.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Hays is not a plus LF.  Urias is not a plus 3B.   The biggest difference in defense is probably between Cowser and Kjerstad in LF.    You just talked about pitchers struggling and defense.  If that’s the case you don’t replace Cowser with Kjerstad in LF.
    • Are we talking about Norby at 2B or LF?   He’s not going to be playing everyday at either spot and probably hardly at all at 2B.   I honestly don’t know how he is in LF.  He looked fine the few times I’ve watched Norfolk games and Tony seems to agree.   He was always an “average at best” or “offensive 2B” but no one ever called him a liability there. I don’t ignore the struggles of Holliday.  I also don’t ignore the improvements of Rutschman, Henderson, Westburg after an initial adjustment period.  Cowser seems to still be going through it.  If you want the best team come October you can stick with what you know with Urias and Hays.   I’d rather take my chances with Mayo and Norby. As far as depth, I’ve got Westburg, Mateo, and Norby at 2B with Holliday at Norfolk.   At 3B I got Mayo and Westburg.   In LF I got Cowser, Kjerstad, Norby with Billy Cook at Norfolk.   Are worried about not having three 3B?
    • I think the timing for Kjerstad coming up is understandable.  Cowser has struggled for a pretty long time and doesn’t have the track record of hitting in the past at the major league level like Hays and Mullins.  However they aren’t going to litter the whole lineup with Kjersted, Mayo, and Norby at the same time because they are all below average defensive players.  At least not right now.  You don’t solve a diminished pitching staff hit with injuries by making the defense around them significantly worse.  
    • I don’t care if he can be average. He isn’t now.    The kid has made 10 errors in 45 starts on the dirt. 
    • I’m against him being up if he rides the pine. I’m assuming he plays.     
    • If Norby has a good glove you don’t think his prospect status would be higher? Why aren’t teams clamoring for the kid? You are real down on Hays and you are entitled to your opinion but the guy was a starter in the ASG last year.    Mayo is a bat first player with super upside.    It is June 24 and a long way to go. Who knows about injuries. Why weaken your depth?   The team leads in the AL in runs scored. You talk about the kids ignoring the struggles of Holliday earlier in the year. Santander may be gone next year. Urias could be. I don’t care about next year. Their time will come. 
    • So you’re against Kjerstad coming up too?   We know Kjerstad isn’t as good a LF as Cowser.   How could they  go for offense when we have scored the most runs in baseball.  Makes no sense. Mayo keeps playing 3B at Norfolk.  He’s played ZERO RF.   There’s more evidence of him playing 3B than there is RF or 1B.   As for Holliday, why do some people worry.  It’s like if Mayo plays great at 3B and Westburg plays great at 2B, what about my Jackson!
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now