The guy I keep waiting for: Schoop

Frobby

Plus C? Yeah, that's been a black hole lately.

I think the main issue is 2B, whomever plays 3B, possibly SS if Hardy is out for any significant amount of time (although they're targeting Friday for a return), and 1B because Chris Davis aside from the homer isn't doing anything with the bat. That's a lot.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this lineup really inspire confidence?

1. Nick Markakis - RF

2. Steve Pearce - 1B

3. Adam Jones - CF

4. Nelson Cruz - LF

5. Chris Davis - 3B

6. Delmon Young - DH

7. Caleb Joseph - C

8. Ryan Flaherty - SS

9. Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Losing Machado and Hardy is huge right now. Hoping Hardy can come back and still swing it on Friday.

I think the main issue is 2B, whomever plays 3B, possibly SS if Hardy is out for any significant amount of time (although they're targeting Friday for a return), and 1B because Chris Davis aside from the homer isn't doing anything with the bat. That's a lot.

Eh, there was a bit of sarcasm in my last remark. Joseph has been one of the few bright spots for a lineup that has struggled. I can't help but feel the addition of Phelps might impact Schoop more than anyone else with Manny out for a couple weeks and Hardy set to return on Friday. You could move Flaherty to 3B and Phelps to 2B. Especially if he was the choice based on defense. How much worse with the bat could he be than Schoop?

Eh, there was a bit of sarcasm in my last remark. Joseph has been one of the few bright spots for a lineup that has struggled. I can't help but feel the addition of Phelps might impact Schoop more than anyone else with Manny out for a couple weeks and Hardy set to return on Friday. You could move Flaherty to 3B and Phelps to 2B. Especially if he was the choice based on defense. How much worse with the bat could he be than Schoop?

Do you have any confidence Buck would do that?

He's been reluctant to do anything different with Flaherty + Schoop all season. I feel Cord is only up here as a backup option. Which is unfortunate as Schoop should be in AAA and De Jesus should be up here manning 2B.

Well, since July 2nd 2011 Cord Phelps is 9-for-72 in the majors. With an OPS around .400. He could be much worse.

Maybe, but I think Schoop's body of work this season is a better indicator than a SSS of 72 ABs. And I was speculating as to why he could have been the choice, I have already said I'm perfectly comfortable with Schoop there.

Well, I could be more comfortable if he took some more pitches and hit a little better.

Well, that's if you're putting a lot of weight on 18-24 games. :shrugs: Versus Schoop's overall wet noodle over nearly a season.

You can shrug, but Phelps' career is 123 at bats — about 1/3rd of Schoop's 2014 to date. In that time he's hitting .159, with an OBP of .221 and an OPS of .469.

No, it's not a huge sample size. But it's not that small, either. And it's evidence that it could be a lot worse than what Schoop currently produces offensively.

Do you have any confidence Buck would do that?

He's been reluctant to do anything different with Flaherty + Schoop all season. I feel Cord is only up here as a backup option. Which is unfortunate as Schoop should be in AAA and De Jesus should be up here manning 2B.

He probably is only that, but as Tony has said his bat has been hot at Norfolk and he is a SH. His best position defensively is 2B. Just checking boxes. He probably never sees the field.

I hate to say I "told ya so" but please see my post in THIS thread from earlier today. The kid can be a factor for us, even if he doesn't hit much for average or have a high OBP.

You know, back in the day, a rookie was held in high regard when all he did was excel against the Yankees.

Archived