Cord Phelps-Really?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lambardozzi has a noodle arm and is a scrappy singles hitter. He hustles thats it. I guess that explains all the love, but he is just a AAAA player.

A real 3B in Phelps is the right move if Manny is out a few weeks.

Sorry but I have to respond to this. 4a means can dominate AAA but struggles in the majors. Lombo hS had success in the majors he is just limited to 2b. He is not a 4a player.

So do you think there's any acquirable 3B or 2B that could help us the rest of the way and if there is, what would you be willing to give up for it? Or is Flaherty/Schoop the only option w/ Phelps/Weeks/Lombardozzi as back up? Got to think DD has asked himself the same question. I don't think Kelly Johnson or someone like that is any better than what we have and as you said, other than Murphy, those guys above aren't really available.

If Trevor Plouffe would make it through waivers he could be an option. He is 27, starting to get to some more expensive years in arbitration. He has a .722 OPS and plays a decent 3B. As to why Minny would deal him they have Miguel Sano coming back next year from an injury and the dude is supposedly a stud. Plouffe will be a man without a position next year and if the Orioles provide a decent pitching prospect + a decent position prospect he may work.

Now - if Manny is out 4-6 weeks I would say no way to making any deal - but if he were to be out for the year?

As to who it would take? Maybe too much, Berry + Ohlman?

It looks like Phelps has been primarily a 2B until this year where he has moved around the infield abit. I think Phelps is probably your second baseman and Flaherty/Schoop hold down 3B.

There is just no way you can put both Schoop and Flaherty in the same lineup. They stink.

If Hardy is back soon they could stay with Davis at 3B and bring up Dejesus to back up 2B/SS.If they bring up Phelps o play 3B who backs up SS/2B if one of Flash and Schoop gets hurt?

Not sure I understand the concern. Phelps can play 3B and 2B. Both Flaherty and Schoop can play all three infield positions. If one of them gets hurt and Hardy and Machado are out, then DeJesus would probably be the next in line.

If Hardy is back soon they could stay with Davis at 3B and bring up Dejesus to back up 2B/SS.If they bring up Phelps o play 3B who backs up SS/2B if one of Flash and Schoop gets hurt?

I dont see Schoop as being the backup SS.

Phelps has played SS in the minors.

Which is probably another reason he is the person tapped to come up.

Not sure I understand the concern. Phelps can play 3B and 2B. Both Flaherty and Schoop can play all three infield positions. If one of them gets hurt and Hardy and Machado are out, then DeJesus would probably be the next in line.
Not Happy with Schoop at SS or 3B. No Problem if Schoop goes out.

Is he any good at 3B or SS? He has primarily been a 2B right?

Phelps has played 3B as of late, can't speak for how good he looked...but he was playing 2B to start the season and was moved after we acquired Lombo (and platooned with him). He played 3B after Britton was sent back down to AAA. Wildcard nailed this, but I do disagree about his play at 3B. I have never seen him play there honestly BUT if they loved him at 3B so much, why bring up the journeyman Buck Britton to play there for a month or so? My guess is they tried to get Cord Phelps to play 3B but he really is a 2b. However, if they thought that, why not bring up Lombo or Weeks who has had much more success in the majors (and is on the 40-man).

The whole move is a head scratcher in my eyes.

Did anyone notice that since July 1st, Phelps is batting .336 with a .459 OBP covering 141 PAs? Sometimes you ride the hot bat.

I think that's probably part of the equation.

But also... there's no predictive significance to playing the hot hand. If you take two players with a career .750 OPS, one who's OPSed .900 over the last month, the other one .600, the most likely case over the next month is that they both OPS .750.

Phelps has played 3B as of late, can't speak for how good he looked...but he was playing 2B to start the season and was moved after we acquired Lombo (and platooned with him). He played 3B after Britton was sent back down to AAA. Wildcard nailed this, but I do disagree about his play at 3B. I have never seen him play there honestly BUT if they loved him at 3B so much, why bring up the journeyman Buck Britton to play there for a month or so? My guess is they tried to get Cord Phelps to play 3B but he really is a 2b. However, if they thought that, why not bring up Lombo or Weeks who has had much more success in the majors (and is on the 40-man).

The whole move is a head scratcher in my eyes.

Prior to April Cord Phelps had about 10 innings at third base in his professional career. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not good there, but...

Archived