Cord Phelps-Really?

Bahama O's Fan

Buck does a good job of starting newbies instead of letting them sit around and get cold (Matt Williams for the Nats is awful with keeping people fresh in my opinion).

Does Cord Phelps start tonight? If I were betting, I would say yes.

Bu8MTioIQAASVZO.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's fine, but he can't really play 3B or SS, so that makes no sense:)

Utility infielder doesn't require you to be a great defender at 3 positions. Not every team has a Ryan Flaherty sitting on the bench. He'd be fine at any position in the infield for a few innings if we needed him for whatever reason.

He has an .818 career OPS in AAA, which is really nice for a middle infielder in the IL.

Utility infielder doesn't require you to be a great defender at 3 positions. Not every team has a Ryan Flaherty sitting on the bench. He'd be fine at any position in the infield for a few innings if we needed him for whatever reason.

He has an .818 career OPS in AAA, which is really nice for a middle infielder in the IL.

Been playing LF & RF, in addition to the infield for Norfolk.

Been every position, except for catcher and CF.

Sounds like a super utility guy.

Some would say that Schoop has been hitting like an injured player.

My point is that Buck won't play Cord Phelps much. Look at how he handled the 2B spot last year with Roberts. Hell, remember when they called up Yamaico Navarro last year? Tell me how often Buck played him.

Buck is loyal to a fault. It's the way he operates. Veteranosity, baby.

I'm not disagreeing with you but there is another side to Buck. Three rookies are getting significant playing time this year. Gausman, Schoop and Joseph.

Phelps probably means Hardy will be back Friday. Then Flash is the 3B and can move to SS if necessary. Phelps can back up 2B and 3B. If Hardy was going to be out much longer they would have brought up someone who can back up SS.

To me this means Flaherty/Davis will get the majority of reps at 3B. Cord is purely your 25th man on the roster. Nothing to see here.

Knowing Buck, he will play Phelps in the Indians series since he came from CLE. Hopefully, he gets the obligatory home run pitch.

Archived