Question - Is Ubaldo's Contract "Guaranteed" ?

Old#5fan

I hate to think about this but I am presuming Ubaldo's contract is "guaranteed" money so that no matter how bad he stinks when pitching and even if it is so badly that the Orioles are forced to cut him from the team, he still gets paid all that jack anyway right?

If so, the Orioles need to start putting an escape clause in their contracts as to "failure to perform to the ability of a major leaguer."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to think about this but I am presuming Ubaldo's contract is "guaranteed" money so that no matter how bad he stinks when pitching and even if it is so badly that the Orioles are forced to cut him from the team, he still gets paid all that jack anyway right?

If so, the Orioles need to start putting an escape clause in their contracts as to "failure to perform to the ability of a major leaguer."

Eh, you are aware there is a little thing called the MLBPA that would go ape****, after they of course had a good laugh, if any team tried to have a clause like that written into a players contract?

There is no such clause allowed. Under the collective bargaining agreement. All MLB contracts are guaranteed.

What if Ubaldo, pulled a "Ray Rice" on his girlfriend, or otherwise committed a crime? How about if he tested positive for illegal drugs? There has to be some sort of out clause.

He could retire if he was so inclined after being overcome by shame. :o

What if Ubaldo, pulled a "Ray Rice" on his girlfriend, or otherwise committed a crime? How about if he tested positive for illegal drugs? There has to be some sort of out clause.

Didn't the Orioles try to get out from Ponson's contract when he slugged that judge?

Archived