Maese on the O's Rep

BillySmith

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy keeps getting better and better. He should take Schmuck's job...

Any goodwill MacPhail has built up has been erased by this debacle. Nobody is going to want to deal with the Orioles after this unless we have something they really really want or unless they are the Chicago Cubs...

Any goodwill MacPhail has built up has been erased by this debacle. Nobody is going to want to deal with the Orioles after this unless we have something they really really want or unless they are the Chicago Cubs...

If we have the players, they will deal with us.

If we have the players, they will deal with us.

I think that is very circumstantial. I think we would lose any tiebreaker if two teams (one of which is us) can help a team meet its needs equally. I just don't believe this has zero negative effect. I'm sure Jones is going to have great thoughts about this organization after this week of chaos.

I'm sure Jones is going to have great thoughts about this organization after this week of chaos.

Well he is partially to blame, so I think he'll just try to forget about it and play. He might take a little ribbing in the clubhouse in ST though...

I think that is very circumstantial. I think we would lose any tiebreaker if two teams (one of which is us) can help a team meet its needs equally. I just don't believe this has zero negative effect. I'm sure Jones is going to have great thoughts about this organization after this week of chaos.

I'm sure the ability to start everyday, be the new star kid on the block, and his paycheck will change those thoughts.

What a load of crap.

First of all, his reputation will be based on the deals he makes, not how long it takes to make them, and the results the team has.

Second of all, the only reason this deal is "taking so long" is because leaks about it hit the media. How do we know the Tejada deal was "relatively quick and painless"? Maybe he was talking about it with Houston for three weeks and that just didn't get leaked.

And how do we know that the Orioles "pulled back" after a deal was done? Perhaps it was Seattle acting too swiftly in telling Jones about the deal, maybe becuase they didn't want him to play any more games in Venezuela and risk injury. All we KNOW is that a deal hasn't yet been made. And when a deal is announced, we will KNOW that too. That's it. This is typical of the way the media behaves (both in sports and news arenas) when they aren't fully in the loop on everything that is going on. They interpret their not knowing something or being able to get access to the details a restriction of their right to pursue a story and get all the details. It must be incompetence or dishonesty, never just the desire to keep negotiations a secret.

"Perception need not reflect reality."

This is a good point. Maybe he should also point out the media is helping to foster the continuance of this "perception", and has been running stories on the Orioles FO being the hold-up and the problem when:

1. all signs point to leaks coming from the SEA side throughout the process,

2. Bavasi has continually commented that he thinks "a deal will be done soon" throughout the process, and

2. the "legal" issues that were supposedly sorted through this week were triggered by the inability of SEA to explain the phrase "No comment" to its players.

There're plenty of real problems to worry about, and write about. Unfortunately that doesn't stop members of the media from running back to the easy story -- the Orioles FO is a mess -- regardless of if there is anything to support that this is the case this time around. Perception need not reflect reality? When it comes to sports writing, and choosing between honest fact-finding and analysis and the "easy story" this certainly seems to be the case...Thanks for doing your part in keeping this "perception" alive, Mr. Maese.

Going to join the minority on this.

"Peter Angelos has interfered in deals in the past. This deal is taking longer than we think it should to go down. Therefore, Peter Angelos must be interfering with this deal."

It's commentary as coloring inside the old, accepted lines. Maybe this is the case. Maybe it isn't. The one thing I'm fairly sure about is that nobody has actually come out and said it on the record. Until they do, I'm not going to assume Angelos interference is derailing this deal until it does.

The sad part is this is supposed to be MacPhail's moment of glory, but so many things went wrong it is now a PR nightmare. This was supposed to be his Frank Robinson trade, the trade that established his legacy in Baltimore just like his father's, but now it looks like something the Orioles need to be more ashamed of. It's great they made the deal, but they handled it terribly.

MacPhail still wants his moment in the sun however, which is why he is going to go through with a press conference. Sadly, instead of reveling in the media spotlight for getting this done and establishing a new era just like his father did with the Robinson trade, he will have to answer to why it all went so wrong...

The only reputation dependent upon the behaviour of the front office that is of any importance whatsoever is the reputation we have among players. In part, it's how we treat them, in part it's how we create a climate of winning. We get those two parts correctly, we got ourselves a team. Screw the press.

How many times have we heard this? Man, it's tiresome.

Seriously... the media has their panties in a bunch over this. Whoopity doo. We're not trading Bedard to Geoff Baker or the Seattle Times.

I'm sure the Baltimore media is frustrated by MacPhail's lack of chatter, but that does not mean he has done his job incorrectly.

If anything I have heard (from the media... I have some contacts from my Ravens gig) is correct, Rick Maese hasn't the faintest idea of what went down here, because nobody has the faintest idea. If they did, Connolly, Zrebiec or Roch would write an article in the Sun. This is completely speculation.

Archived