Maese on the O's Rep

BillySmith

The sad part is this is supposed to be MacPhail's moment of glory, but so many things went wrong it is now a PR nightmare. This was supposed to be his Frank Robinson trade, the trade that established his legacy in Baltimore just like his father's, but now it looks like something the Orioles need to be more ashamed of. It's great they made the deal, but they handled it terribly.

MacPhail still wants his moment in the sun however, which is why he is going to go through with a press conference. Sadly, instead of reveling in the media spotlight for getting this done and establishing a new era just like his father did with the Robinson trade, he will have to answer to why it all went so wrong...

Maybe he should wait until after the Roberts deal goes down, and introduce everyone he got in the Tejada, Bedard and Roberts deals at once...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The sad part is this is supposed to be MacPhail's moment of glory, but so many things went wrong it is now a PR nightmare. This was supposed to be his Frank Robinson trade, the trade that established his legacy in Baltimore just like his father's, but now it looks like something the Orioles need to be more ashamed of. It's great they made the deal, but they handled it terribly.

MacPhail still wants his moment in the sun however, which is why he is going to go through with a press conference. Sadly, instead of reveling in the media spotlight for getting this done and establishing a new era just like his father did with the Robinson trade, he will have to answer to why it all went so wrong...

Something tells me we'll forget all about this "nightmare" , feeling "ashamed" and what went "wrong" the first time Adam Jones zooms into the power alley to snatch a potential double out of the air.

Did I miss something?

Did the trade fall through? Are we NOT making one of the biggest trades in the history of the franchise?

MAN, we were so close, too. Wow, that's a tough break, having to answer to the press about how this deal fell through. We must have really blown it.

:rolleyes:

The only reputation dependent upon the behaviour of the front office that is of any importance whatsoever is the reputation we have among players. In part, it's how we treat them, in part it's how we create a climate of winning. We get those two parts correctly, we got ourselves a team. Screw the press.

But the press creates the perception of the Orioles, because MacPhail handled this trade so badly media wise, the Orioles look like idiots...

But the press creates the perception of the Orioles, because MacPhail handled this trade so badly media wise, the Orioles look like idiots...

By NOT talking?

I forgot it was a GM's job to feed rumor mills and add to conjecture. MacPhail did the right thing by keeping his mouth shut.

Did I miss something?

Did the trade fall through? Are we NOT making one of the biggest trades in the history of the franchise?

MAN, we were so close, too. Wow, that's a tough break, having to answer to the press about how this deal fell through. We must have really blown it.

:rolleyes:

We are but MacPhail basically sucked all the excitement and joy and any positive feelings about it with the way he has handled it publicly. Not to mention he has taken a beating in the press. Now people just want it over with instead of being really excited about it...

We are but MacPhail basically sucked all the excitement and joy and any positive feelings about it with the way he has handled it publicly. Not to mention he has taken a beating in the press. Now people just want it over with instead of being really excited about it...

Again, when Jones has his first 4-hit game in an Orioles uniform, do you think anyone will even remember this stuff?

I call BS. If the trade goes down, then how will our joy and positive feelings be any less than it would have it it was announced last Monday? Either way, we'll get to see Adam Jones flagging down fly balls in CF in Fort Lauderdale in about 3 weeks when position players report.

Maese, like many on this board, is overreacting to the fact that he had some very tiny pieces of information mixed with rumor and innuendo, and made assumptions based on them. MacPhail has been doing his job this past week, making a deal. His job is not to keep the media or the fans up to date on the status of incomplete deals.

I call BS. If the trade goes down, then how will our joy and positive feelings be any less than it would have it it was announced last Monday? Either way, we'll get to see Adam Jones flagging down fly balls in CF in Fort Lauderdale in about 3 weeks when position players report.

Maese, like many on this board, is overreacting to the fact that he had some very tiny pieces of information mixed with rumor and innuendo, and made assumptions based on them. MacPhail has been doing his job this past week, making a deal. His job is not to keep the media or the fans up to date on the status of incomplete deals.

I agree. Would you rather he go sign Aubrey Huff types to satisfy the casual fan or the media? Who really gives a damn in the end how it went down. If it went down all this means nothing!

Are you serious?!?!?

Do you work for the Sun or something, bro? Why are you so concerned about the press, seriously...

The deal got done and according to most baseball people, we completely PANTSED Seattle. Try and enjoy it dude, you're making yourself miserable!!!

I do have a few major fears slowly building in my head about all of this. First of all perception is reality, in th idea that regardless how easy the o's are to deal with in person, the perception is something much worse. And regardless who you are, if you keep hearing that the O's are hard to deal with, you might noy make the inital call to just bounce the idea off of McPhail.

The other fear i have of this has nothing to do with other GMs, but more about national media perception. Once again it falls down to the fact that the perception of how the O's operate will continue give other sports writers the go ahead to bash the orginization as common practice, not out of a legitamate reason. When ever another team is rumored to be in talks with the O's the continued bashing of Angelos will automatically included as filler.

Unfortunately regardless of how this plays out, even if all the delays where a reasonable by-product from Sea end, the O's will continue to get the bad rep for all of this.

Are you serious?!?!?

Do you work for the Sun or something, bro? Why are you so concerned about the press, seriously...

The deal got done and according to most baseball people, we completely PANTSED Seattle. Try and enjoy it dude, you're making yourself miserable!!!

I'm concerned because I'm sick of the average baseball fan thinking our franchise is a joke, and this way the Orioles handled this deal just reinforces that fact. If we want to be respected, the media is going to play a role in that, and right now it's not helping us that's for sure. Sure we got the deal done, but not without it dragging out for three months and Angelos rumors coming into play and anytime that happens, we stay true to our reputation of being hard to deal with and having a meddling owner.

I'm concerned because I'm sick of the average baseball fan thinking our franchise is a joke, and this way the Orioles handled this deal just reinforces that fact. If we want to be respected, the media is going to play a role in that, and right now it's not helping us that's for sure. Sure we got the deal done, but not without it dragging out for three months and Angelos rumors coming into play and anytime that happens, we stay true to our reputation of being hard to deal with and having a meddling owner.

Nah, come on!

You want respect? Start winning ballgames.

Andy MacPhail seems to have us at the beginning of that long road.

Let the talking heads talk. They're gonna do it anyway.

Nah, come on!

You want respect? Start winning ballgames.

Andy MacPhail seems to have us at the beginning of that long road.

Let the talking heads talk. They're gonna do it anyway.

You can say that now, but the media makes and breaks people nowadays. Teams are not an exception.

I just want somebody in the national media to mention our team with respect instead of chuckling and shaking their head. If other people respect your team, it allows you to have even more pride in your team. And right now that is sorely lacking for the Orioles...

This trade is just another example of how the Orioles can take a momentous ocassion for their ballclub and install more team pride, but instead completely shoot themselves in the foot.

Archived