Maybe l'm out of line but

dscola

It seems to me that the inhabitants of this board are slaves to numbers. I agree, that numbers are very useful but not in every instance.

Speaking as a lurker and occasional poster, it seems that it's difficult for some of you to just "enjoy the ride."

Case in point: Some of you spend all day talking about how some statistic states that Markakis is slow and is below average defensively yet, all I ever see is him making play after play. All I see are posts about what fangraphs and war says.

I may not be making a lot of sense to some but my point is, just enjoy the trip.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to me that the inhabitants of this board are slaves to numbers. I agree, that numbers are very useful but not in every instance.

Speaking as a lurker and occasional poster, it seems that it's difficult for some of you to just "enjoy the ride."

Case in point: Some of you spend all day talking about how some statistic states that Markakis is slow and is below average defensively yet, all I ever see is him making play after play. All I see are posts about what fangraphs and war says.

I may not be making a lot of sense to some but my point is, just enjoy the trip.

So you just happen to be making popcorn every time a ball drops in front of Nick?

There is a problem with the old eye test, it's biased.

For the record, some of us derive enjoyment from not only the game, but the numbers behind the game.

I hear what you're saying, but it wouldn't be much of a message board if we didn't discuss stuff.

Very true.

But, I think the OP makes a good point and something we have a tendency to over anaylize every stat we can find.

Sometimes, the ole eye test is needed.

Like Roch said recently on 105.7, this team defines logic, and doesn't make sense on paper, but it works, and let's enjoy the ride! :)

The eye test tells me Markakis is not a very good defender too. As well as the numbers.

-He has to play corner outfield a non premium outfield position.

-He's slow especially laterally

-He doesn't make very aggressive jumps

-He does not cover much ground

-He plays RF much more shallow than CF yet he still seems to let too many fly balls bounce in front of him or behind him

Advanced stats make the game more fun for me to follow, not less. I enjoy what happens on the field, and appreciate watching things like Markakis make great catches and throws.

Advanced stats help tell me what I can't see. I can't easily see that the ball that Markakis made a great diving catch on would have been a routine play for 75% of the RFs in baseball.

I think this is a worthwhile topic. I too enjoy the advanced metrics and digging into numbers. However, now I hyper evaluate players to the numbers and there is always something that leaves me wanting on each and ever player. Numbers have helped create a player on paper that I judge eveyone against and it's really not fair.

So yes I do agree that to a degree numbers have taken away from simply just enjoying a player because I'm always holding them to this amazing OBP, power, stikeout to walk ratio paper monster.

I think this is a worthwhile topic. I too enjoy the advanced metrics and digging into numbers. However, now I hyper evaluate players to the numbers and there is always something that leaves me wanting on each and ever player. Numbers have helped create a player on paper that I judge eveyone against and it's really not fair.

So yes I do agree that to a degree numbers have taken away from simply just enjoying a player because I'm always holding them to this amazing OBP, power, stikeout to walk ratio paper monster.

That is a mistake. Because those paper heroes are just that often. We have some good players in Baltimore.

Why are the two points mutually exclusive? Baseball is the most numbers/stats intensive sport there is. I almost can't understand how someone can possibly get everything out of the game if you don't like the number crunching and debating.

The eye test tells me Markakis is not a very good defender too. As well as the numbers.

-He has to play corner outfield a non premium outfield position.

-He's slow especially laterally

-He doesn't make very aggressive jumps

-He does not cover much ground

-He plays RF much more shallow than CF yet he still seems to let too many fly balls bounce in front of him or behind him

Exactly. That's the problem with the eye test. Everybody thinks what they are seeing is what everyone is seeing. When I see balls hang in the air for so long that Jones ends up about as close to it as Nick, the eye test doesn't tell me about Nick's defense that it does other's. It's all subjective.

I agree to an extent to the OP, but without the (THE SKY IS FALLING!!!) posters and posters who have specific opinions about differing aspects of the game, there would be very little to discuss and the board would be less fun.

Yes, some people do dig a bit too far into statistics, hell I see fangraphs authors dig too deeply into stats.

That is a mistake. Because those paper heroes are just that often. We have some good players in Baltimore.

I agree but you can honestly say we you don't nitpick our guys because they're not hitting certain average metrics or couldn't approve in one stat area? Our are you saying nitpicking is fun? I can by that argument that people enjoy nitpicking players. Without stats I imagine I could go back to when I was a kid who just loved Cal Ripken for who I saw and who didn't care what his OBP was to league average.

This is basically what I wanted to say. Thank you.

Archived